Regulator Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eotm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be buying a regs soon. I don't want to bias this board, so I will put the features I am looking for and see what ends up getting recommended.

Basics: balanced, nitrox, yoke, warm water, easy breathing at 30m+, durability (10+ yrs), 24-mo service interval for warranty

Want: widespread service accessibility/dealer footprint, lightweight for travel

Open to discussion: 2 HP ports, swivel 2nd stage, air-2 octo/inflator

Pricing: Don't have a hard budget, willing to pay for for superior performance and durability that i need for my use case. It seems that regs from the majors in the ~700 price point is where I am falling, but willing to take advice on this issue

I recently moved to NYC and while I have been diving for a couple years now I have never bothered to learn about regs, and feel my LDS is fleecing me (package "deals", scubapro "price-controls", etc.). I bought a computer and bcd based on advice from the board and have been very happy with those. Since I live in NYC, any tips on avoiding sales taxes would be appreciated (any online retailers that do not withhold?).

Scubapro or Aqualung.

My two favorites are the:

1) Scubapro Mk 17 G250V, and
2) Aqualung Legend LX.

Can sell you an Edge Epic no tax. And there is an octo inflator available but don't know if it will work with your BC. What BC do you have? As the octo inflator is normally sold with the BC. Or added to it later. Why do you want an integrated octo? And you realize that if you go that way you should have a longer hose on your primary?

Frankly I'd go with an Epic as it meets all your requirements as it comes out of the box. Couple it with a standard octo, and since you have a computer a simple compact SPG and hose. Had you done this last week you could have saved over a hundred bucks with the Black Friday sale. As it is your looking at around $500 MAP for a complete set up. New. Shipped.

While a newer company, the dealer network is expanding and you can always ship for service. I have one now on the way from Ohio and just did two for a guy in Vail, Colorado. Turn around time was less than two weeks including shipping from him to me and back.

I'm aware of the HOG/Epic sale that I missed, but I did not know if I could take this trip until this week due to work, and it didn't really make sense to buy 6-8 months in advance (next opportunity to dive would have been August). I know they get a lot of discussion here, but I'm still not sure I want to go that route as it sounds like the real value with HOG is 1) Self-service, which I will never do 2) Price, which I care about, but it is not my primary concern. The Legend LX is probably the best alternative, but I need to go find a good Aqualung dealer (shouldn't be hard there are a ton of them, which is nice when travelling).

The integrated octo is up for debate. I want to cut down on how much I pack, and would donate my primary anyway so that is less of an issue. I have a Zeagle Express Tech.

Anyone have an opinion on the 2nd HP port? Does that limit me a lot/increase risk of failure materially? I thought it would be nice to be able to get a 2nd computer or SPG on there in addition to my Aeris T3 at some point.

Atomic Z2 ($440) on a longer hose (don't try to do an air share with an octoinflator on a standard 40" hose) + Atomic SS1 ($250). The SS1 will screw right onto your Zeagle, and screws right off for cleaning the BC and soaking/storing the SS1 with your regs. If you're doing an octoinflator, though, make sure you have a long enough inflator hose to get it and keep it in your mouth. I found I needed a 16" hose on my Stiletto for my SS1 to work safely, and ultimately found a much shorter BC hose and a 22" octo on a necklace was a better system for me. The SS1 breathed great at all depths, though.

diverightinscuba.com and plenty of others are authorized dealers online who don't charge tax, total would be around $690. DRIS has a nice points feature that works out to about 10% of the price...if you ask nicely, they may skip the points and just give you the 10% off.

Service is every two years or whenever you decide to service it (warranty not contingent on service). Ship it back to Atomic is my advice, but if you want to let Pan Aqua or whomever monkey with your regs, more power to you. I've been impressed with neither price nor service from most NYC shops, though.

2nd HP port won't hurt anything, and adds functionality. You may or may not ever need that functionality, however. Atomic's swivel is a thing of beauty, but you only really appreciate it on a standard length hose.

+1 for Aqualung Legend LX. No swivel on the 2nd but bullet proof and there are dealers and parts available all over the world. Do not get into any Air2 or the like. While Aqualungs is the best, that are all prone to problems/failures. Get a good quality 2nd for an octo, Aqualungs Legend Octo is great. Just for the record, I own and dive Aqualung, Oceanic, Hog, Atomic, and Sherwood (only for stage bottles) Regs.

top choice mk17-g250v,
lots of flow rate,sealed and peace of mind....forget top of the range gear.

Don't forget Sherwood regs, work horses, in rental fleets world wide, proven and high performance.

Don't forget Sherwood regs, work horses, in rental fleets world wide, proven and high performance.

I'll second that. A 4000, from '70something, a Magnum from 1980, and a Blizzard from '04 and they all still work flawlesly being maintained only as necessary. I've never missed a dive due to the regs which is why I keep buying them ( not because I have to, but because I want to ). Now they are not adjustable, but I don't have any problems breathing or airflow down to 130'+.

I keep an extra second stage from the '80's in my "save a dive" bag and it's saved a lot of others peoples dives.

Bob
--------------------------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape

Last edited:
+1 for Aqualung Legend LX. No swivel on the 2nd but bullet proof and there are dealers and parts available all over the world. Do not get into any Air2 or the like. While Aqualungs is the best, that are all prone to problems/failures. Get a good quality 2nd for an octo, Aqualungs Legend Octo is great. Just for the record, I own and dive Aqualung, Oceanic, Hog, Atomic, and Sherwood (only for stage bottles) Regs.

Another Aqualung Legend vote. My Legend IS a swivel on the 2nd stage and for me b/w quality and availability of service EVERYWHERE it's the best option.

In contrast to some other opinions, I have the Aqualung Air2 as well; and have had to use it several times. It's suited me great and worked like a charm.

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

Back
Top Bottom