Regulator Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you live in NYC it is worth a trip to 18th St. between 5th and 6th. I find that LP will give you great deals on things that are "on sale in the store". Damaged packaging, returns, closeouts, etc.

I have the top end Legend and the Titan LX. I have used both extensively. Save yourself some money and get the Titan LX.

IMG_0828_edited-1.jpg

Me with Titan LX, wife with the Legend on the hang in Caymans.

N

Pretty much any mid-level or above regulator will do what you listed; they all are fine for nitrox except a few titanium models, almost everything is balanced these days, and pretty much any decent reg will perform well at 30m.

I'd avoid the octo/inflator; it really does nothing significant to improve your dive experience. go for a regular octo, and consider putting the primary 2nd on a 5 ft hose, with the octo on a short hose and a bungie necklace.

So this is very likely what I am going to purchase, would love some feedback.

Aqualung Mikron
Atomic SS1 Air-2 (preferred model) or Aqualung Air Source (about $100 cheaper with everything else).

The value of a Air-2 is pack weight more than anything, besides that, I understand how octo on your neck and a long primary hose achieves the benefits without any of the drawback (still not 100% clear what the drawbacks are)

For warm water vacation diving, the Mikron's size seems to outweigh and performance improvement the Legend might deliver in cold water or depth. My only worry is the bubbles in your face problem, as I do like to take photos. However, it seems like it would be more of a problem for video, since you can snap in between exhales.

Going to LP today, they were observing the sabbath yesterday. Works out well as I can look at camera equipment at Adorma while I'm at it. However, since I'd prefer to start building a relationship with a LDS, why do you not trust Pan Aqua (shop in Hell's Kitchen) with your regs?

Did you end up getting the Mikron and if so how did you feel about the bubble interference? I'm considering buying that reg for travel.

Did you end up getting the Mikron and if so how did you feel about the bubble interference? I'm considering buying that reg for travel.

I had an older version of the Mikron a Micra ADJ initially the bubbles annoyed me but I soon got use to them. I found it to be a very nice breather. Having said that I now do a lot of underwater photography and the bubbles become more of an issue. I now dive a "full sized" reg and would likely not go back.

Got the mikron. Done 10 dives on it, bubbles are fine, and I take lots of photos.

I know I'm too little too late, but for others that check out this thread I would check out the AERIS Ion LT. It's a scaled down version of the oceanic CDX5 and EOS. Solid performing reg, small and light for travel, and comes with a swivel. The ports are arrange 4 LP 1HP but spaced so you can use a transmitter without hose interferance. Esily upgraded to coldwater. As for the service, while you don't get a 2 year service you do get free parts for life. Any Oceanic Aeris or Hollis dealer can service it as AUP streamlined it's service course to include all 3 brands. And mated to an Oceanic Air xs 2 (wich is nice and streamline) you have a good travel setup, that is great for every day use.

I always like Atomic Z2. It is one of the best value regulator. Workmanship and contruction are very high quality. Price approach HOG. Official 2 year service interval. Easer to have local service in USA. HOG is also good reg, but you may want to check with your LDS to see if they can support it.

If you travel a lot for diving, then Scubapro and Aqual lung is still the top choices.

Back
Top Bottom