Regulator configuration for rec diving

What is your regulator configuration for rec diving?

• Short hose primary with integrated second

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • 40 " primary with integated second

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 5 or 7 foot primary with integrated second

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Short hose primary with 40" Octo

Votes: 26 16.4%
  • 40" primary with short hose bungeed second

Votes: 36 22.6%
  • 5 or 7 foot primary with short hose bungeed second

Votes: 68 42.8%
  • Other, explain in post

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • A version of sidemount

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • A version of double hose

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7' is a pretty ideal distance to stay away from party poopers. Of course, some stay even further away from people who rain on their parade, and say that 7' is a baby distance.

Diving Dubai, I'm glad that 40" hoses work for you. 7' hoses work great too, even in high currents. In open water, I think a 5' hose also works well, and the full 7' is not necessary unless you are wreck diving. If my buddy has a 40", I would not have any problem with that for open water diving. I do think shorter than 40" is difficult to work with, but what's more difficult is engaging in conversations with people who are stubborn and engaged in gatekeeping.

It's ok that you don't like a 7' hose, but "once you dive like I dive you will understand" is not an effective support for your opinion. It would be great if you could explain some of the challenges you have faced in your own experiences using a 7' hose. It could be that there are other factors that could have helped the 7' hose work as well or better than the 40" hose.

Brisk drifts aren’t significant current. Its almost baby diving
I believe you have significant current. I also believe that you have no real idea about the diving in SE Florida. I have covered nearly 3 miles of reef on an hour baby drift. Not all the diving is drift. In Boynton, we have a 258 foot dry cargo carrier, the Castor, sitting at 110 feet, often in very brisk current. The dive can be quite challenging.

I've never seen anyone diving a right/left, dual 40" hose setup. I'm sure it works just fine for you and have no reason to criticize your choice.

A couple of single-tank rec configurations for me, so I selected the "Other, explain in post" option. For example:

1. Single regulator. Primary on a 32" hose. Backup is an AIR II. Used with a Scubapro Stabiizing Jacket (SSJ) and a PST HP (3,500 psig) 80. Reg is a Scubapro Balanced Adjustable/G250/D400 paired with a Mk 10 upgraded by me to a Mk 10 Plus. Reg shipped with a 32" hose as standard. Occasionally I'll switch in a complete Poseidon Odin (standard-sized reg hose). This is my oldest rec configuration, begun in 1987.

2. Two complete regulators on a Y-valve. Primary (right post) on a slightly-shorter-than-standard-sized reg hose (~30"). Backup (left post) on an ~24" hose, bungeed under-the-neck. These are Scubapro Mk 10 Plus + Balanced Adjustable/G250/D400 regs. Occasionally I will switch in two complete Poseidon Odins (standard-sized reg hoses). Used with my SS Freedom plate and Halcyon Pioneer 27 singles wing.

3. A single double hose regulator (upgraded by Vintage Double Hose), usually no octopus reg (though I will sometimes, though rarely, attach one of my Scubapro second stages on standard-sized reg hose).

rx7diver

I believe you have significant current. I also believe that you have no real idea about the diving in SE Florida. I have covered nearly 3 miles of reef on an hour baby drift. Not all the diving is drift. In Boynton, we have a 258 foot dry cargo carrier, the Castor, sitting at 110 feet, often in very brisk current. The dive can be quite challenging.

I've never seen anyone diving a right/left, dual 40" hose setup. I'm sure it works just fine for you and have no reason to criticize your choice.

2 points here. Right/Left hose config, is probably more of a cultural thing and more likely to be seen to the East of you. I dive the config for other primary reasons than current (mainly when guiding) when I'm most likely to be air sharing. I've never told anyone that they *must* dive my config, although I've encouraged people to try it and make their own decision (around 50/50 uptake)

So let's discuss currents. You're right, I have no first hand experience diving in Coz or SE FL, but I know and dive with people whose opinion I respect who have had significant experience there and who dive in my area, thus my opinion still stands

Drift diving is easy, the speed with which you're moving over the sand is irrelevant. You're in a nice stable flow with little relative difference to your buddy, if people a flapping about in the current, its down to their basic skills rather than the current.

Current on wrecks is rarely difficult nor onerous either,. People flailing about on anchor lines or struggling on the boat line are more to do with their fitness level and technique rather than current flow, and then using hyperbole to describe the conditions (possibly because they know no better) and so myths are born.

Look I'm not here to prove who has the biggest current (although I dislike the over exaggeration of them) , my original statement was that 7' hoses are the wrong solution for significant current

I stand by that, from actual experience.

I use 7' LH config, on my SM, for actual penetrations, for which it's actually necessary, I've nothing against them
I've nothing against people using them in OW, it's their choice, and it's not for me to dictate or demand justification as why they do so, as long as their choices are valid and they are practiced in its use

The latter I see from teaching people who have adopted LH is more of an issue. Even in a benign controlled teaching environment , they struggle with deployment and effective donation and situation control. Actual incidents are very much not benign nor controlled.

99.9 [insert integer here] of divers will never have to make an actual airshare in the real world, even fewer in an actual overhead, yet so much hype is given to LH, it could almost be called an OW fashion statement for the majority of those who needlessly adopt it. If people choose to use it, fine, be practiced. but it's not a necessity in OW and there are more optimum configs which do the job just as well

2 points here. Right/Left hose config, is probably more of a cultural thing and more likely to be seen to the East of you. I dive the config for other primary reasons than current (mainly when guiding) when I'm most likely to be air sharing. I've never told anyone that they *must* dive my config, although I've encouraged people to try it and make their own decision (around 50/50 uptake)

So let's discuss currents. You're right, I have no first hand experience diving in Coz or SE FL, but I know and dive with people whose opinion I respect who have had significant experience there and who dive in my area, thus my opinion still stands

Drift diving is easy, the speed with which you're moving over the sand is irrelevant. You're in a nice stable flow with little relative difference to your buddy, if people a flapping about in the current, its down to their basic skills rather than the current.

Current on wrecks is rarely difficult nor onerous either,. People flailing about on anchor lines or struggling on the boat line are more to do with their fitness level and technique rather than current flow, and then using hyperbole to describe the conditions (possibly because they know no better) and so myths are born.

Look I'm not here to prove who has the biggest current (although I dislike the over exaggeration of them) , my original statement was that 7' hoses are the wrong solution for significant current

I stand by that, from actual experience.

I use 7' LH config, on my SM, for actual penetrations, for which it's actually necessary, I've nothing against them
I've nothing against people using them in OW, it's their choice, and it's not for me to dictate or demand justification as why they do so, as long as their choices are valid and they are practiced in its use

The latter I see from teaching people who have adopted LH is more of an issue. Even in a benign controlled teaching environment , they struggle with deployment and effective donation and situation control. Actual incidents are very much not benign nor controlled.

99.9 [insert integer here] of divers will never have to make an actual airshare in the real world, even fewer in an actual overhead, yet so much hype is given to LH, it could almost be called an OW fashion statement for the majority of those who needlessly adopt it. If people choose to use it, fine, be practiced. but it's not a necessity in OW and there are more optimum configs which do the job just as well
You haven’t addressed why a 7’ hose is “NOT ideal,” nor how there are “more optimum configs” for open water use.

Diving Dubai, I'm glad that 40" hoses work for you. 7' hoses work great too, even in high currents. In open water, I think a 5' hose also works well, and the full 7' is not necessary unless you are wreck diving. If my buddy has a 40", I would not have any problem with that for open water diving. I do think shorter than 40" is difficult to work with, but what's more difficult is engaging in conversations with people who are stubborn and engaged in gatekeeping.

Fair questions:

On my SM rig when not penetrating I now use twin 5'. Why you might ask, simply put if I'm in a situation I want to immediately hand off the reg in my mouth, not faff switching regs because 1 is a short bungeed hose.

IRL on my single tank, I think 5' is marginally better than 4' for donating, however the negatives of that extra 12" for what will be a a very rare occurrence (even for someone who teaches and guides) the downsides outweigh the upsides

I use my 7' on proper wreck penetrations, I also teach students how to properly use LH, so I'm not anti it. I just think in OW with significant current it's not the right tool for the job.

It would be great if you could explain some of the challenges you have faced in your own experiences using a 7' hose. It could be that there are other factors that could have helped the 7' hose work as well or better than the 40" hose.

Couple of years back, in Indonesia on a dive in real current. The current had changed underwater and [in hindsight] the four of us and the guide shouldn't' have jumped in the first place hey ho.

The current and constant fight around the pinnacle to get to the optimum position overwhelmed one of the group, and she'd blown through her air. I was on my SM rig (then with 7' as I was also making scooter dives on that trip[ too) and as murphy's law would have it was breathing the long hose. Thus at that point I needed to hold her, switch regs, hand off the LH to a stressed diver, and to stop us being blown off and away from our respective buddies I'd dropped the reef hook (hooked in) It should have been a simple task to calm her down and assist her (pull) to the lee of the pinnacle where our respective buddies were sheltering.

Not so. Her grip failed, and now she's 7' away on a stretched out hose, and I'm attached to the reef with my hook putted taught and my crotch strap trying to turn me into a Soprano

Long story short I got myself free let the current take us and got control of the situation (held her and launched the dsmb) but in close contact the 7' hose was again in teh way being too long and needing to be stowed, all while dealing with a stressed (not panicking) diver

I'll freely admit with the benefit of hindsight I should have donated and then taken us off the reef straight away - my bad, heat of the moment poor judgement, equally at no point was a long hose necessary, in fact all though it was more of a hindrance.

The only time I've ever used LH for its proper purpose was on my IANTD Adv Wreck course on the Zenobia during briefed scenarios (an OOA exfil through narrow passages is always a joy and a challenge)

Hence I'm firmly in the camp of right gear for the job, and configure your gear to be optimum for your particular environment and dive needs

@Diving Dubai ... Thank you for the additional detail. I personally have gone to a 5' LH now that I'm no longer tech diving and do no penetration to speak of. I too find a 5' LH more manageable in open water recreational settings. I found the extra 2' a bit of a hindrance given my short stature (5'9" on a good day) and the fact that I no longer dive with a canister light on my right to secure the hose.

I've played with different primary hose lengths for years, always 22" bungeed back up, swapping between 7', 5' and 40" under arm with adapter. I only BM ST OW dive, finally settled on the 40", suits me just fine, I like it.

Yeah I went round all those circles with BM ST OW then settled on a 24inch hose. Time to start circling again

Back
Top Bottom