Regulator Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally did get the armor double backpack. Just got delivered this week but won't use it for another month. It does seem smaller than the picture on the web site showed (which is good).

It looks like a nice bag and can't wait to use (especially since I'll be taking it to Maui). :crafty:

ScoobyDave:
When buying new regulators, an up-selling clerk was pushing their regulator bags. I've never had one, and haven't seen the need.

That being said, any comments pro/con? Got one?

If you do a lot of dive travel there a must... IMHO

After I bought my Apex I thought protecting it with a reg bag would be a good idea. All the "official" bags seemed to be a little overpriced. I bought a dark blue cosmetic case, gutted it, and it holds my entire set-up, 7' hose and all wrapped in a towel. The soft sides didn't seem like much protection to me. In this case I don't even mind checking it through at the airport.

I got one when I bought my regs, and it will hold three sets of regs pretty good. Its a small square blue one, don't remember the brand. I always carry on regs, since checking them can mess up the depth gauges due to reduced pressure at altitude in the cargo hold.

Since a depth gauge can take a pressure increase of 100+ psi, I really don't think a decrease of about 7 or 8 lbs is going to affect them. I always toss mine in a reg bag, then put it inside my dive bag, wrapped up in the BC with my wetsuit packed around it. Then I just check it with the luggage. Have logged several hundred thousand miles flying my gear that way with no problems at all.

teknitroxdiver:
I always carry on regs, since checking them can mess up the depth gauges due to reduced pressure at altitude in the cargo hold.
Why does carrying them with you help?

Hint: look at the cylindrical shape of commercial aircraft. It is that shape for the same reasons as other pressure vessels such as scuba cylinders. Now imagine how hard it would be for the flat floor of the cabin to be a pressure bulkhead.

There may be unheated cargo compartments, but non-pressurized cargo compartments are very rare.

True, not many aren't. But there's another reason too: have you ever seen how hard those guys throw around the luggage?

teknitroxdiver:
True, not many aren't (pressurized). But there's another reason too: have you ever seen how hard those guys throw around the luggage?

Folks,

There are no, repeat, no un-pressurized cargo holds in the business UNLESS the aircraft is un-pressurized, in which case, so are you.

The correct reason to carry your reg, computer, and sensitive equipment with you in the cabin is the one shown above. Any one remember the luggage commercial where the bag guy suddenly turns into a gorilla? That was real-life footage, not special effects!

Cheers!

Actually, I was thinking about it, and there are some. I flew on a ERJ regional jet from Houston to Memphis, and when you walk out to the aircraft they ask you to give them any large carry-ons, in this case, the bag with our regs in it. So we asked them if the aft cargo hold (which is the one they were putting these bags in) was pressurized, and she said it was not.

I have two reasons to carry regs/masks/computers on:

1. As mentioned above - to avoid damage

2. To avoid the airline losing the bag

In the last 6 years, I've had 2 suitcases damaged while in transit (one had a gaping hole at the bottom).

Also, if the airline loses your bag, the max you can usually get is $300 per bag (depends on the contract of carriage for each airline). My gear (and my wife's) is definitely worth more than that. If you are going international, the Warsaw convention rules apply and they literally pay $$ per pound. I'm sure everyone's gear alone is worth more than $300, nonetheless the other stuff and the actual bag itself.

I did get the Armor Double bag and packed it up this weekend. Fits both sets of regs along with masks and wrist computers. Also, it appears that it would fit in the regional jets under the seat or in the small overhead compartment. Not sure if those are really pressurized or not. Taking all 757's this week and no plans to travel on regional jet this year so won't know if it fits or not until next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom