Regulator Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobyDave

Contributor
Reaction score
When buying new regulators, an up-selling clerk was pushing their regulator bags. I've never had one, and haven't seen the need.

That being said, any comments pro/con? Got one?

Most of the time I just wrap the regs and console inside a wetsuit.

The only time I use a reg bag is when I put them in a backpack to carry on a plane, and that is mostly just to keep them separate from the other junk in my backpack.

I rarely use the reg bag when putting the regs into checked luggage; and never use it when putting regs into the duffel bag to carry gear onto a boat.

YMMV

I've got a reg bag from Deep See. Back when I first got certified, I used to pack the regulator in there snug as a baby before and after every dive. Over time, I came to realize that when driving to the site, this offered no better (and arguably) worse) protection for my reg than wrapping it in my wetsuit (or in my undergarments when diving dry).

One place where a reg bag is handy is in travel. I have a small, briefcase-sized bag that is heavily (3/4 inch) padded - it looks kind of like a really skinny laptop bag, maybe. Inside of that, when I am going on a dive trip, I pack my reg, mask, light, and a couple of other small things. It works well for travel, and you feel a whole lot better about knowing you have the gear with you, safe andsound on the plane, rather than being abused by the baggage handler.

~W

I used to work in a LDS and a reg bag is an easy sale :)

Akona includes a very nice regulator bag with a lot of their larger gear bags. If you're planning to dive where you can't drive to the site, this is a good way to get both in just one purchase.

I carry my regs on the plane but a specific reg bag isn't required - just adequate padding. I use a zippered plastic bag inside a padded back pack - makes it easy for airport security to inspect without making a mess of everything.

My boyfriend now uses my freebie Akona reg bags for his doubles regs - even when just going to/from the local quarries. I think just because they fit so nicely in there vs the plastic tubs we have.

Your regs are life-support equipment and should be treated as such during transit.

When I bought regs the bag was thrown in, as I had just spent hundreds of dollars. It was an Apeks branded bag - good for carry one but not strong enough in the long haul.

I'm looking into renforcing it.
=-)

When I got my regs I thought that they would be a real joke. Did not see the need for them. Glad I have them. Store my regs in them and they are nice to travel with since I carry our regs on plain. Good place to store clips and rings for spares as well.

Where these bags come in handy is when you are packing a number of regulators in one box. Otherwise they get tangled like spaghetti when you try to pull one out.

With a little disassembly, it holds about 5 kits (wife & I). Travels well & I don't believe it even counts as a carry-on. I use a soft regulator bag on the dive boat to hold a spare setup & the rest of my save-a-dive kit.

I always keep my regs in a Scubapro reg bag. I never check my regs with my gear. This is your life support and it should be treated with TLC. You can also put you toothbrush, passport, airline tickets etc. in it. The Akona brand is also very nice. My lady just bought a set of regs and gauges and she also bought the Akona bag. A good investment I thnk. Good Viz, George:thumb:

I have an aqualung regulator bag, and use it sometimes but not always. It's kind of a pain to get the hoses coiled up in there just right. It has a nice padded pocket in the middle to hold the console. I think I would recommend a reg bag like this to someone who has an expensive console-mounted computer. Otherwise you could just 'wrap it in a wetsuit' or something.

I would definitely NOT put a regulator set in with my checked luggage while traveling. They're too expensive & fragile to be thrown around by baggage handlers. Cruise lines are even worse than airlines. My suitcase came out looking like it had been thrown in to a cage of gorillas. (Carnival)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom