Regulator Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't had much experience yet with packing and traveling for scuba. Recently bought gear and bag...

I am wondering, as I see comments about packing more than one regulator in a bag, what do you experience in terms of the regulators banging against each other? 1st stages are pretty heavy, computer's aren't, 2nd stages are light plastics, seems like trouble. Do you wrap them in bubble wrap or towels first?

I am playing around with cutting foam inserts to hold the 1st stage, computer, 2nd stage. I can get one to store nice, but there is not enough room for two inserts in the reg bag. I can 'cram' two regs in the bag (no insert), but am not that comfortable with how they are all over each other. Do you just put a sleeve over the gauage faces and let it go at that?

BTW, I am recycling an old Land's End cordura lunch box which has nice depth and volume for a third set. (Yes, I am one of those unfortunate blessed soles that have three divers in the family getting into the scuba life. By the time I bought 3 sets of gear, I couldn't afford any more regulator bags or LUNCH, so what the heck :wink: )

scububa:
I haven't had much experience yet with packing and traveling for scuba. Recently bought gear and bag...

I am wondering, as I see comments about packing more than one regulator in a bag, what do you experience in terms of the regulators banging against each other? 1st stages are pretty heavy, computer's aren't, 2nd stages are light plastics, seems like trouble. Do you wrap them in bubble wrap or towels first?

I am playing around with cutting foam inserts to hold the 1st stage, computer, 2nd stage. I can get one to store nice, but there is not enough room for two inserts in the reg bag. I can 'cram' two regs in the bag (no insert), but am not that comfortable with how they are all over each other. Do you just put a sleeve over the gauage faces and let it go at that?

BTW, I am recycling an old Land's End cordura lunch box which has nice depth and volume for a third set. (Yes, I am one of those unfortunate blessed soles that have three divers in the family getting into the scuba life. By the time I bought 3 sets of gear, I couldn't afford any more regulator bags or LUNCH, so what the heck :wink: )

We got the Armor Double Reg Backpack System (http://armorbags.com/regulatorbags.htm) and it has 2 separate compartments so there is no issue. We were also able to fit in our plastic mask boxes which also contain our wrist computers (both into the same side). Won't use it for a few more hours, but it seems nice so far and would recommend it. Also has 2 outer pouches for log books, ccards, keys, etc.

I hope you enjoy your Raman noodles (I mean, how can you have any money left after buying 3 sets of everything) :11:

robstrash:
We got the Armor Double Reg Backpack System <snip>...
I hope you enjoy your Raman noodles (I mean, how can you have any money left after buying 3 sets of everything) :11:

Nice looking bag...mine is the removable pouch type from a Gator Pac roller...so, not so much room. I can see if you traveled a lot the Armor is a good way to go...it looks like I could carry noodles for three in it, too :dollar:

I quess another way to look at it, I have lots of backup gear, eh?

AmyJ:

We've used it 2 times (roundtrips) and like it. I carry it on the plane as my carryon item. It does seem rather large and bulky at times, but I am just so much more comfortable having my regs with me at all times. We usually attach the bag to a rollaboard so we don't have to carry it around the airport. We also cram in our 2 plastic mask cases that also carry our wrist computers.

The front has 2 pouches, one small one where we keep our c-cards and the other is a little larger where I keep keys/cell phone/pager (and logbooks).

Surprisingly, the TSA has only searched it 1 time out of the 4 times it's been at the airport. They did the swab test about 10 times and we finally got to leave after 5-10 minutes. On the way home, they asked what they were, but didn't search the bag.

So overall, I like the bag, although when you are running through the airport trying to make a connection, the bag can get heavy.

To me, a regulator bag is mandatory, I allways carry my regs in a regbag.
I got more regbag than regs, 2 cressi that came with a cressi gear bag, 3 Akona, one came with my Akona gear bag, one was bought at a price to good to pass it, and one like the one Amyj was asking about.

After shelling out big bucks for my regs, computer and gauges, I won't risk them getting damaged by rough handling, I just put that gear in the reg bag and put the bag in the pocket designed for it in the gear bag, the mask is inside a plastic box wrapped inside my wetsuit in the main compartment of the gear bag.

When storing the regs, I just put them in their bag so they will be protected against dust and UV rays. May be a bit of overkill and may call me paranoid, but better safe than sorry, I got to protect my investment at all cost. I find it a good investment a $25.00 bag to protect a $700.00+ regulator setup.

In one of the small Akona bags, I cram 2 reg sets when needed for traveling, the only ones sleeved are the consoles and wrist 'puter, once the zipper is closed the whole mess is rock solid and nothing gets scratched, just take your time and you'll be OK.

Needless to say I don't throw my gear around, I allways lay down the gearbag and take my time to set it right.

If when traveling I'm going to loose sight of my gear for a while (checkin luggage), I'll use my Pelican Big Box with locks and the regbag is with me.

I use the XSScuba reg bag and take it everywhere. It has a protective pocket for a console. I keep my dive computer attached and tuck it into the pocket. Everything in one spot.

I use the Oceanic Deluxe Reg Bag - it doesn't have very thick padding but holds two full set of regs (plus computers, DIN to yoke adaptor etc.). I find the bag indispensible for airtravel - I like to keep my diving equipment separated from my other stuff as the diving stuff often looks very suspicious to the airport x-ray machine operator. With the reg bag, I can quickly open the zipper and show my regs to the security people without having them rummage around my other bag (I used to stuff my reg in my backpack but with a long hose it was a tight fit). On an aircraft, I like to keep the reg bag on the floor under the seat in front of me where I can keep an eye on it (NOT in the overhead compartment where it is very likely to get crushed).

Back
Top Bottom