Reg's, Octo's, So MANY choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the reg I bought: Zeagle Flathead VI Regulator Din Or Yoke reviews and discounts, Zeagle

The main reason I'd consider it is $375 for a high end, sealed reg is a great deal (as long as you don't mind having a model that is one version old). Is it better than its competitors, probably not, but seems like a good bang for buck right now (only reason it's so cheap is it's on closeout since the Flathead 7 is out).

As for quality regs, you're right that there are a ton to choose from and probably not a ton of differences between regs in a similar class.

Last edited:
Lots of great choices and good points made earlier.

A few more thoughts:
a) The most expensive regs are Ti -- there are some real advantages (weight and corrosion resistance) but they don't breath better. Given your diving, they don't seem worth the consideration.
b) As others have noted, you want a cold water reg. That will reduce the number of options.
c) Will you dive DIN (HP steel) or a standard yoke (standard Al 80s)? Or both?
d) Personally, I would avoid air 2 (BCD inflator/octo)
e) Now look for what is supported locally and/or where you plan to dive. For me, I would probably stick to USD (Aqualung & Apex), Scubapro, Mares and Atomic (started by som ex-Scubapro guys). Lots of other solid brands but those are my preferences.
f) Look at total cost of ownership. This is the purchase plus periodic service. Parts are sometimes free. Sometimes not. Some are more expensive than others.
g) Now, look at features. Do you need a swivel? How many HP ports? How many LP ports? (For most folks, any reg has enough ports)
i) Rent or borrow one if you can. Even if it is just in a pool. Remember: hoses and mouthpieces can be changed.

NOAA, the US Coast Guard and the US Navy have selected the Oceanic Delta4/FDX10 as their cold water regulator of choice. I would imagine the EOS is an improved version but I bought the Delta4 for my wife.

That was one of the reasons I bought the Delta4/FX10 for myself, the other was that I have an authorized Oceanic dealer close by for servicing and it offers great value for the price. (It also helped that I got to "test drive" one during my OW dives - I had one as my rental)

It looks like everyone's already covered the high points.

I prefer ScubaPro, Mk25 or Mk 17 with the G250. ScubaPro warranties it's reg's forever. This includes the annual service. This saves me ~$40-80 a year. It breathes easy at any depth, and any temp.

That said, price doesn't dictate the best reg, but the reg is the one piece of equipment you don't want to skimp on.

Mike

Not really many choices.....only really good regs are APEKS, 500,000 DIR divers can't be wrong :)

I dive the Great Lakes. In cold water, diaphragm first stages are favored. DIN is generally preferred. Popular models/brands I see used by GL divers include:

1- Poseidon
2- SP Mk17
3- Apeks
4- Mares

You don't need the most expensive reg but don't skimp. Cold water is unforgiving. Many cheap "tropical" pistons will free-flow easily. Buying a brand your LDS supports is probably the best way to go but there are shops that you could ship to for service.

Consider renting equipment for your first few dozen dives from different places and note the brands and how you felt using them. If you found most of them to be to your liking, and they are suitable for cold water diving, then no need to buy anything more exotic. I rented for years all over the Caribbean before I finally bought my own gear, and what I realized over time was that I had encountered darn few regulators that I just plain didn't like. Maybe I'm not as discriminating as most people. They're all reliable, and most breathe pretty comfortably. Some of the more expensive ones may weigh a couple of ounces less, but things like that aren't that noticeable to me. To me, the price/value curve levels off pretty quickly.

If you decide to buy Apeks (and I can't think why you wouldn't), be aware that they are all identical internally*. XTX40, 50, 100 and 200 all use the same service kits, they breathe the same, the only difference is the hose routing and number of HP ports. I have ATX40, 50 and 200s, the only way I can tell which one I'm breathing is by looking at it.

Oh, and the XTX200 costs about twice as much as the XTX40. There are still some ATX40s available over here that are very good deals, dunno if the same deals are available on your side of the pond.

*The FSR(200) first stage has a replaceable valve seat. The valve seats rarely wear out.

You mentioned octos in your original post. I'd suggest just picking a primary/secondary that you like, and then ordering another identical secondary, rather than a cheap octo. You might end up breathing off it at some point. I have an Aqualung Legend and Zeagle Flatheads and have been happy with both brands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom