Budget reg opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would get Apeks, tried and true and if you want to sell them later they sell higher anyways. I had no issues selling my old Apeks regs. Cannot say the same about other names.

I would pick the DGX D6 package over the DGX Xtra. Save $100 bucks over the XTRA and $200 over most of the others and the 1st stage and 2nd stage parts kits will be around for a long time. Also a little easier to work on.
The DGX D6 package is also a sealed cold water reg.
I know both regs inside out since I wrote the service manuals for them as well as the manual for the Deep Six Signature regs.
The D6 from DGX is a proven workhorse of a reg.
Down the road if you decide to get into tech you can add another 1st stage for doubles.
I don't like to see new divers spend more than they have to.
DGW will service the reg and there are other options for servicing as well.
Is the DGX D6 the same as the Deep6 signature series?

I’m going through this right now with a buddy of mine who has four full sets of regs for himself and his wife. Two of them are Aeris regs and the other two Genesis regs. The Aeris is obsolete no parts available and the Genesis is still around and parts available but a little obscure and not the most popular reg line.
If he went with something like Scubapro and paid more initially he wouldn’t have this problem now.

I believe that Genesis is a sister company to Sherwood, I don't know how they are related, but that could be why they are still supported. My personal favorite regs are Sherwood, when not diving vintage or some old thing I pick up cheap.

Anybody who asks me this same question I just tell them to go with a tried and trued brand that has been around for decades so you know parts and service will never be an issue.

Very good advice.

I believe that Genesis is a sister company to Sherwood, I don't know how they are related, but that could be why they are still supported. My personal favorite regs are Sherwood, when not diving vintage or some old thing I pick up cheap.

Very good advice.
Yes, Genesis is owed by sherwood and I guess is considered their economy line. I believe some of the features of the Genesis line are unique though. From what I’ve seen so far the Genesis regs are better than the Aeris POS regs. I can say that because they are no longer in business, go figure.
The Aeris regs are just cheap looking and seem flimsy, not something that I would use around here.
They remind me of something that would be included in a discounted package deal from Leisure Pro.
In fact, they were purchased from Leisure Pro, and we’re supposed to be an upgrade from the beginner Genesis regs, lol! He told me they weren’t cheap, and the only reason they got them was because of some rave review they saw on Rodale’s. (Paid for fake review).
So now the Genesis regs don’t look so beginner anymore. He’s getting them serviced and those will be his primary regs. There’s nothing wrong with them. They aren’t fancy, but they are simple and solid.

Have been diving the same Apeks regs since 1997.
DIY(service) is dead easy as long as you can get both service kits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom