Budget reg opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

john11

New
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m looking for an opinion on reg choice. I’ve been eyeballing the dive rite xt ow package, the DGX XTRA ow package, and the APEKS XTX50. I’ve read positive reviews about the dive rite and Apeks, but reviews on the DGX are hard to find. Would you guys recommend spending the extra money to get the XTX50 (roughly 800-900 with spg and octo depending on which octo I choose) or go with one of the other packages that are both around the 600-700 range? I’m currently working towards my advanced cert through SDI and already have nitrox and deep certs with future plans to start tech

Check out Divers Supply, Ive gotten some really good deals on reg sets thru them.

Something to consider -- bargain-basement or otherwise -- is the future availability of spare parts and service kits, with whichever brand that you choose. I also would seek out reviews for cost of maintenance, as much as breathability, if they are available.

Not all brands are well-supported.

Considering your stated plans, I would invest in something, which will last a few years -- something that can be readily repaired . . .

Yes. If you want something less expensive than Apeks, but a brand that’s been around for a while, look at the Dive Rite regs. Company has been around since 1984. Available from DGX.

+2

Of what you listed get the Apeks.
I’m going through this right now with a buddy of mine who has four full sets of regs for himself and his wife. Two of them are Aeris regs and the other two Genesis regs. The Aeris is obsolete no parts available and the Genesis is still around and parts available but a little obscure and not the most popular reg line.
If he went with something like Scubapro and paid more initially he wouldn’t have this problem now.
Anybody who asks me this same question I just tell them to go with a tried and trued brand that has been around for decades so you know parts and service will never be an issue.
It’s kind of unstable times right now with a lot of acquisitions. I have a feeling that we haven’t seen the end of many companies selling out and then that product line dying out.
Be careful what you buy!

I would pick the DGX D6 package over the DGX Xtra. Save $100 bucks over the XTRA and $200 over most of the others and the 1st stage and 2nd stage parts kits will be around for a long time. Also a little easier to work on.
The DGX D6 package is also a sealed cold water reg.
I know both regs inside out since I wrote the service manuals for them as well as the manual for the Deep Six Signature regs.
The D6 from DGX is a proven workhorse of a reg.
Down the road if you decide to get into tech you can add another 1st stage for doubles.
I don't like to see new divers spend more than they have to.
DGW will service the reg and there are other options for servicing as well.

Apeks may have parts for life, they do in Canada. The XTX50 is a great reg and so is the Dive Rite XT, I don't have experience with DGX regs.

Back
Top Bottom