Regs need servicing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are cake SeaJay.

The only adjustment is the IP, and that only has to be in a range, not exact.

Basically you put it together, check IP stability and pressure, then leave it with pressure on it for a half-hour. If there's no creep and no leak then you're cool to test in a pool or on a weenie dive. If it passes THAT, then go diving.

There really isn't any magic to any of this, nor anything complicated. The folks who like to claim there is are all smoking funny stuff.....or trying to scare/steal from you.

Warning...

It's a good idea to get an idea of how the thing worke before working on it. There isn't much to taking it apart and swaping out a few parts but if it doesn't work when you get it back together you could be a little lost.

Funny storry. A guy I know somehow came by a service manual for his reg. I'm not sure how but one of mine was missing for a while then just magically showed back up. Anyway he went to rebuild his reg and when he finished the first stage leaked like crazy. He took it apart several times and couldn't find a problem so he brought it to me.

There are only so many things that can cause it to do that but it still took a while to spot the problem. As it turned out one of the new o-rings he installed was the wrong one. He just grabbed the wrong one out of the kit. Simple problem and easy to fix but he didn't know where to look.

I only charged him a sixpack but others wouldn't have been so kind. LOL

On both counts.

Believe me, I won't go rippin' into this thing.

...But the skill to do this is something that I can develop... What's most important, I think, is the fact that I'll work on it as if my life depends on it... Not as if $15 - or $150 - depends on it.

Thanks, y'all, for all of the amazing help. A few quick pointers should get me going in the right direction, and slow, methodical care should suffice as a learning tool... Combined, of course, with the resources that I've been given.

Okay, first I'll start with disassembly of the system... As in, 1st separated from the 2nds, hoses sitting out, etc... I'll do that tonight and break open my R380. I assembled the system in the first place, and I've had the 380 open before... So this isn't really new ground for me. Yet.

I'll keep you posted.

i really would like to service my regs, too. however, i have been looking near and far in the US, canada, uk, germany and cannot find a store that will sell the parts kits. i searched for a few brands because availability of parts would definitely influence my next reg purchase.

the way i figure it now is that i will have it serviced in the assumption that they will put at least new parts in (i usually ask for the old parts back). that's an easy albeit expensive way to get the parts kit since i'll be paying for labor, too. when i get the reg back i will then basically go over everything myself and readjust IP, cracking, etc if necessary. so it will be a "double" service. isn't diving all about redundancy?

Take off hose and remove cover. There is a pin on the outside of the case that locks the cover; it is not necessary unless you absolutely need the "Scubapro" logo to line up on reassembly :)

Remove the collar at the outside of the stage. For older R190s and such there is a hex nut. For R380s the outside collar comes off. Older R190s and such have a hex nut on the outside, newer R380s have a plastic spline nut and the airtube itself unscrews into two pieces (there is a flat that is exposed when you remove the plastic jam nut - be careful not to damage the threads!)

The air tube will separate into two parts; you're holding one, the second is inside the stage.

Push out the inside part from the outside.

That can be disassembled into the seat plug, spring, lever, and nut.

The outside part has the seat adjuster in it, which has an O-ring around the outside of it. Back it out all the way and once its unthreaded push it out with a soft tool (e.g. wood skewer, blunt end, etc) Remove the exhaust cover and remove the exhaust valve, then turn the opposite side plug 1/8th turn (with a spanner or very thin needle-nose pliars as a spanner) and push it out from the inside.

You now have all the parts.

Remove all O-rings and clean the parts. Replace O-rings (there are only a few!) If the seat is badly engraved consider replacing it. Note that R380s and R190s often can be tuned perfectly well even with a pretty-severely engraved seat; visual inspection of it is not necessarily indicative of its ability to properly seal.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. :)

Yeah, it really is that easy.

Tuning the R380 or R190 consists of leaving the opposite side plug out. Then you set the lever height with the inline adjuster, and the seat spring tension with the nut. Both affect each other, and the lever height! The goal is to get the lever to JUST touch the diaphram, under pressure, with the seat spring set so that you have about 0.75 - 1" of cracking pressure. Plug the hole where the opposite-side plug goes with your finger when testing, or put the plug in BACKWARDS (it will seal on the O-ring boss, but not go in very far - you can then pull it back out easily!) Note that with some new R380s that just BARELY engages the nylock part of the nut, and that its a real bear to set as the nylock retracts inside the seat carrier too far for a common nutdriver to reach it well - whcih makes it lots of fun to set. I have one that I have to remove the cover for each "trial"; it REALLY pizzes me off. All my other R190/R380s don't do that to me. The older R190 assembly has more clearance and doesn't suffer from this.

For initial settings put the nut on roughly where it was before you disassembled the reg, and the orifice adjustment so the lever is just below the diaphram, then put the diaphram, washer and cover back on, pressurize it and do the adjustments. If you have one of the "fun" ones that won't allow you to adjust the nylock with the lever up you get to take the cover off and push the lever down every time you change it - that gets old real fast, but its the only way if you have one of those "nice" units unless you have a shaved-down nutdriver (very thinwall.)

Note that reusing the nylock is possible BUT it is very important to be sure that it "grips"; if it spins loose and falls off the reg will deliver no air at all! Not good! If in doubt replace the nylock.

Parts kits for most SP regs are available on eBAY. If you use generic O-ring replacements (perfectly fine on seconds, and in MOST places on firsts, but NOT ALL PLACES - use EPDM if you're diving Nitrox rather than Buna or Viton) and get your stainless nylocks from the boat store (a few cents each) a few kits will last you a LONG time, since all you will ever need out of them are the "funny" O-rings and seats.

Get your EPDM O-rings from air-oil - a very complete kit will run you under $20.

SeaJay once bubbled...
Okay, first I'll start with disassembly of the system... As in, 1st separated from the 2nds, hoses sitting out, etc... I'll do that tonight and break open my R380. I assembled the system in the first place, and I've had the 380 open before... So this isn't really new ground for me. Yet.
Even if you don't plan on servicing your regs, IMNSHO, an IP gauge is a worthwhile investment.

In the 1st post of this thread, you said that you wanted to get your regs "detuned a bit from their stock factory position". You didn't say why. You also said that your "intermittent" pressure was 165psi.

My bets are that if you had just looked at you intermediate pressure, you would have quickly discovered that is was high, or even more likely, that your HP seat was leaking and the IP was creeping up to the point where one of the 2nd would crack open a bit. As I noted in a thread about a month ago, I've seen a lot of divers using regs with leaking HP seats.

You have to wonder how long you had been diving with the reg like this?

It's funny how people worry about different things. I'll let a boat crew assemble my gear (another active thread), but OTOH I use an IP gauge to check my regs frequently.

A leaking HP seat causes freeflows on the second stages - reliably.

Its also quite common......

An IP gauge can be had off eBAY for about $20. Well worth the money; it clips into your BC inflator hose. Plug it in, put the reg on a new tank, pressurize, and watch. The IP should come up to its setpoint and STAY THERE.

Some regs will creep a bit (5lbs or so) from where they first stop when pressurized to where they lock up. If its creeping much more (certainly more than 10lbs) than that then its too much and the first stage needs an overhaul.

LP hose connector from Leisurepro ($10.00). Rest from Lowe's or Home Depot($6.00). Works fine. Or splurge & go for the automobile compression gauge (that would probably be DIR).

Sorry, this 10 pounder just doesn't want to go in the 5 lb bag.
The gauge is a Rainbird gauge used to test water pressure found in the irrigation section. Remove hose connector and you have 2 NPT male end in needs of a standard NPT connector.

SeaJay once bubbled...
in fact, they sell a class on how to service your own regs - but there ain't no way I'm going into that shop again
Actually, I would consider it under one condition.

Ask him if completing the class gives you the right to buy the rebuild kits directly from him (it MIGHT happen).

If not, then ask him WTF good the class is.
If so, get it in writing, take the class, and immediately order 5 or 6 kits.

I've been considering the idea of servicing by regs as well. I'm definitely a "do it yourselfer" and would feel better about the whole process with the right knowledge about what's inside and how it works.

The local shop seems to be OK, but like SeaJay, the doubt nags at me. Did they do it right, were they distracted? etc.

I have been gathering the necessary tools and will continue to do so. The Airspeed Press books look awesome and will be the next purchase to "bone up".

Any suggestions out there as to were to get parts and manuals for a Apeks ATX50 and DS4?

Back
Top Bottom