Regs need servicing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah yes...

It took me a looong time just to get a black cover to replace the yellow one that came on my R380...

I would like to know how to do it, though...

I'll take them to Savannah tomorrow and watch...

The first is the only one that probably needs much. If the IP is 165 it definitely needs something, and if when you breathe it the IP starts at ~130-140 and creeps up to 165 before it locks up then it needs a new HP seat.

I haven't had to replace a LP seat yet - even ones that look seriously engraved work just fine provided you clean everything and adjust them to compensate. No problem there.

I just did all my regs (three first and seven seconds) and changed nothing but O-rings - the total parts cost for all of them was probably under $5. All the seats were servicable.

I have some SP rebuild kits, but don't use the seats or the "special" O-rings (the only one you need out of their kits is typically in the Mk20/25 for the HP piston seal) unless I need to.

Someone needs to get ahold of some seats for common regs and start producing aftermarket ones. That would make the "parts unavailability" completely go away - everything else is relatively easy to come up with.

I'll tell you what I should do...

I should take you up on your offer to go diving and come down there and hang out... You show me how to service my regs, and I'll... I'll... I dunno... Buy you a steak and a beer or something. :D

Then we can go diving afterwards.

That's what I should do.

I don't know if there are any special tools needed for the SP diaphram firsts - but I almost certainly have all the O-rings :) I've got basically all the common sizes in EPDM - when they're a nickel each you can afford to do that kind of thing, and have 20 of each size for $20 or so. I do have the case wrenches and such that SP likes to have used.

What I don't have for the SP Diaphram firsts are the seats. I do have some of the piston seats for most (but not all) of the SP BP firsts.

The seconds are simple. The 550 is just a 600 without the external adjuster, and the 380 is just an R190 with a smaller but deeper case.

Paradoxially, I cannot get the 380 to breathe as well as the 190s. I suspect the issue is the diaphram shape; it just can't be tuned to be as smooth as the 190s can be.... Oh well. Its not much of a difference, but it is noticable....

The S550 and R380 are both diaphragm regs.

The S600 and R190 are piston regs...

No? I thought they were totally different... Am I wrong?

SeaJay once bubbled...
The S550 and R380 are both diaphragm regs.

The S600 and R190 are piston regs...

No? I thought they were totally different... Am I wrong?
Diaphragm vs piston is strictly a 1st-stage thing.
You can put an S600 on an Apeks 1st and it's a diaphragm reg.
You can put an TX50 on a Scubapro 1st and it's a piston reg.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

Diaphragm vs piston is strictly a 1st-stage thing.
You can put an S600 on an Apeks 1st and it's a diaphragm reg.
You can put an TX50 on a Scubapro 1st and it's a piston reg.

All Apeks 1st stages are diaphram designs. Link schematic shows one in action. http://diver.net/capture/musac.cs.man.ac.uk/regs/first.htm

Scubapro makes both diaphram (Mk16 & Mk18 I think) and piston firsts (Mk25, Mk20, Mk15, M10, Mk7, Mk5, Mk200, Mk3, & Mk2) {You'd think they would have it right by now)

I'll look for a piston schematic tomorrow - can't find the link on my home computer.

The SP seconds employ 2 common designs: The barrel poppet design (S600, S550, G500, G250, G200 & some older metal ones) may be balance and may incorperate an external cracking pressure adjuster. The classic downstream design is quite simple & reliable with a little lose of performance potential. They include the R190 & S(or R)380 & an old metal one.

Then there is the D400 series and the new X650 which I don't own and therefore don't really need to understand. The schematic give me a headache.

Start with Harlow's book & it will all get simple.

The first stage is either piston or diaphram, balanced or unbalanced.

The Mk2 is an unbalanced piston. The Mk10, 20 and 25 are balanced pistons. (There are some varients, like the Mk10+ and the aluminum and titanium versions of the 25, as an example)

Seconds are either typically a straight downstream design (R190, R380, G200 and a few others) or balanced poppet designs (S550/600/G200B/G250HP and a few others.)

The balanced poppets tend to breathe more smoothly, simply because they are relatively-speaking less sensitive to IP fluctuations since the design applies IP to both sides of the seat. The spring used to 'load" the seat and keep the poppet closed is thus much less powerful and the delivery of air more smooth, as it only has to make the seal, not work against the IP.

Downstream regs rely on the spring pressure to counteract the IP, and have no balancing feature. They thus are more finicky to tune and also tend to be more critically matched to the IP of the reg they are connected to, and do not breathe as smoothly, although if you take your time you can get pretty close. They also require seat repalcement more often, usually when you can no longer get them to tune reasonably due to the seat becoming excessively engraved.

For all seconds the lever height should be set, basically, right at the diaphram at rest (stage pressurized) For downstream regs the problem with this is that changing spring pressure changes lever height, and vice-versa, so you end up "chasing" the correct settings. Ideally you want the lightest spring pressure that will keep the reg stable, with the lever set just touching the diaphram, that results in the desired breathing resistance (usually 1" or so of H2O; a bit higher for "backups", sometimes a touch lower for primaries)

For balanced poppets the orifice setting controls the lever height, and the balance chamber adjustment controls the cracking pressure. With these the balance adjustment does not typically disturb the lever setting appreciably and vice-versa.

The "newer" SP balanced poppet designs use an "unloading" feature that prevents "engraving" of the LP seat when the reg is not pressurized. Basically, they use the IP to move the poppet and balance chamber into contact with the seat when the reg pressurizes, and it is allowed to float free when there is no pressure. The unfortunate reality of this feature is that the poppet setting is under a pressurized cap, so you either need a special tool to set it or you must pressurize and depressurize the stage every time to want to make a change to it. The good news is that the setting for that is not horribly critical; getting close is good enough. This is even more true for the S600 which has an external adjuster for the balance chamber, allowing you to tune it a bit "loose" and allow the diver to crank it down a bit to stop any freeflow tendencies - something you can't do if there is no external adjustment for it.

For regs with an external adjuster I set them up so that I can get a slight freeflow with the adjuster all the way out; this allows, for most adjustable seconds, a cracking pressure setting of anywhere from very close to zero up to about 2" of H2O, at my option. Just a touch (1/8th to 1/4 turn off the stop) is where I usually dive mine, but if the current is unusually strong I might add a half-turn or so to back off the sensitivity, especially if I "park" my primary for some reason. For regs without an external adjuster I typically set them up for about 1" of H2O on inhalation resistance.

You do not need a magnahelic gauge to make this adjustment - a sink full of water will do just fine. 1" from the top of the diaphram is easily figures on the reg body; simply submerge it slowly, diaphram down, until it starts to flow - there you have it. Its not perfectly precise but then again neither is a mag, and neither are you when you're providing the source of inhalation. Unless you have a full flow-bench setup (very, very few shops or techs do) the two methods are almost identical in accuracy and results.

awap once bubbled...
All Apeks 1st stages are diaphram designs. Link schematic shows one in action.
I know that... I was just pointing out that an Apeks 2nd will work fine on a Scubapro piston 1st and vice-versa.

Back
Top Bottom