Regs need servicing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay once bubbled...

...So I called today. My "LDS" isn't really "L." It's an hour and a half away.

Seems to me the dive shop less then 5 minutes from your house is an apeks dealer and has a certified apeks tech?!?!?!?! SO I guess you really don't support your LDS.

i am not so sure about the idea of getting 5-6 service kits. don't they say that the reg needs maintenance even if not used because the parts age regardless? that would imply that having a service kit sit in your shelf for a couple of years would not be very clever.

Seal 'em in a vacuum packing machine. They'll keep virtually forever provided you do that and stuff 'em in a drawer where the sun can't get to them.

docmartin once bubbled...
i am not so sure about the idea of getting 5-6 service kits. don't they say that the reg needs maintenance even if not used because the parts age regardless? that would imply that having a service kit sit in your shelf for a couple of years would not be very clever.
How long do you think the dive shop's order of 100 tank-neck O-rings sits on the shelf?

Yes, reg parts degrade even if not used, but they are exposed to salt, sand, chlorine, etc...
My buddy had a Conshelf XIV that went 20 years before it's first overhaul. It had some nasty corrosion and seriously needed an overhaul, but the IP did not creep and the reg worked fine.

It failed within a month of getting it back from overhaul.

aquariumdiver once bubbled...

Seems to me the dive shop less then 5 minutes from your house is an apeks dealer and has a certified apeks tech?!?!?!?! SO I guess you really don't support your LDS.

You're right... I avoid that shop as much as possible.

I know the owners and the manager well... And frankly, I'm tired of dealing with them.

...There was a time when I supported them. I got tired of saving the lead instructor's life when he had OOA's, and I got tired of being on dives where he ripped DM candidates to the surface - from 130 feet - because "they looked narced." I got tired of taking him out on my boat for free, only to have him ***** later when I ran aground (misjudged tide). He coulda helped, rather than sit and *****, you know.

Most of all, I got tired of having every dive turn into some sort of urinating match... With him trying desperately to take control of every dive. It got to the point where I was saying, "Sure, man... Whatever you want." I got tired of having him tell me I was diving unsafely because I did my deco in the wrong place and I got tired of them making fun of my DIR style. I got sick of hearing from them that in order to dive properly, I needed to wear 40 lbs. of weight in a SeaQuest Raider.

I just got sick of them. The more I dove with them, the more of a liability they became.

I'm pickier with my dive buddies now.

So yes, you're right... I don't support my LDS.

The last time I was in there, I was told that my Suunto Vyper computer probably wasn't a *real* Vyper because I purchased it from Leisurepro.

I got crappy service, backstabbing friendships, and loser instruction. What's worse is that they've tried to keep the local charter captains, people with whom I've had pretty descent relationships, from taking me and my club out for dives. "We want everything to go through the shop from now on," the shop would say. I'm sure you do! :upset: Let's not forget that the club can get people diving for $70 per diver... For a two-tank dive... And you want to do the same dive for $120! Guess who gets the $50 margin? Yes, I think what you're doing to the local diving community is immoral.

Last time I went in to price an Apeks reg, they quoted me a price nearly double that of any other Apeks dealer. I've given them a shot on every piece of equipment I've purchased... Not one time have they ever come even close to competitive in price.

...And so yes, you're right... I don't support my LDS.

In a year or so they will be out of business anyway... So what's it matter?

...Sorry, y'all... It just really gets on my nerves that the LDS thinks they can treat you like crap and you're still obligated to go to them simply because they're your LDS.

...What I meant to say was, "Thanks guys, for all the help. I really appreciate it."

From now on, aquariumdiver joins the ranks of the others on my "ignore" list.

SeaJay once bubbled...

I got crappy service, backstabbing friendships, and loser instruction.

Your post sounds extremely similiar to my experiences with the LDS.

The LDS here gets angry when you don't buy from him...even though he is not a distributor for the particular brand you want. He suggests that you buy "similiar" products from him instead. That sounds nice, but all he sells is crap gear that I don't want. There has also been a lot of DIR hatred/ignorance because they feel that it cheats them out of sales. (You don't get to sell them gear 5 times with DIR...) The training is poor and they don't want to improve. I don't buy anything from them unless I can help it. All of my gear is going to be purchased online until I can find a LDS that has their act together.

Having anything to do with the typical LDS is nothing but a hassle and a liability.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

Having anything to do with the typical LDS is nothing but a hassle and a liability.

That's exactly how I feel. And the moment I think, "Hey, maybe this other one won't be so bad... Maybe they're not trying to rape me... Maybe they really DO have a clue... Lemme give them a shot...

I'm offered Cristolube at $200 for a three ounce tube.

I get told $15 a stage, but walk out after writing a check for $110.

I'm literally and openly laughed at by the owner and all of his employees who point at me while I show him how a long hose is routed. I shoulda just said, "Page eight of the PADI AOW manual, jerkoff. Don't you teach that?" (He's a PADI dive center.)

I've been bruised and kicked around... Quite literally... By every LDS I've ever walked into... With the exception of one. Extreme Exposure in High Springs. Of course, they're not exactly your typical LDS...

Oh yeah... I've been in a Discount Divers store (or is it "Divers Discount?") right off of I-95 in Florida. It was the "Sam's Club" of diving, and had just about anything and everything you could ever need/want there... Including Dive Rite and (I believe) Halcyon. It was impressive.

...And just like with any large "warehouse" style store, I could not find a salesperson...

Which was wonderful.

I picked up a few hundred bucks' worth of stuff, went up to the counter, and the 20 year-old hottie on the register smiled at me and asked me if I needed anything else. I then went back and picked up some cool T-shirts.

Simple.

Just like Leisurepro, but I could actually hold it in my hand before I bought it.

I liked that. A lot. ...And EE rocks completely, too.

SeaJay,
Sorry to hear about your LDS probs. I know I've posted this before but I am a bowhunter and drive 1 3/4 hour to an archery shop for service. Not because there aren't any locally but because the guy I take my bow to is very anal retentive about the job he does on my gear. I can't replace that. Yeah, I wish he was 10 minutes away but thats just not reality. So, when I started diving I went to my LDS (where I got my training) to do most of my business. He treats us (wife and I) extremely well and for that I'm thankful. I'm fixing to buy Scubapro mk16/s550 regs. MSRP is 388 I think, his price 310. Not bad!!!!, considering Leisurepro is about 256 I think. I'll pay the extra for the personal service and the warranty. I don't know why the LDS's just don't get it. Basically they are screwing theirselves and will blame leisurepro and the dive gear manufacturers instead of their crappy customer service. Yes, there are some that will buy Leisurepro no matter what. But, there are many that will pay the little bit extra IF AND ONLY IF they get the service they deserve at their LDS. From all the posts I've read it sounds like the LDS's need to put their employees through some customer relations classes before they complain about everything else. Just my thoughts. Take them for what they're worth. GT

SeaJay once bubbled...

I'm offered Cristolube at $200 for a three ounce tube.
Wow, that LDS must have thought you were a complete idiot. Did you call them on it?
I'm literally and openly laughed at by the owner and all of his employees who point at me while I show him how a long hose is routed. I shoulda just said, "Page eight of the PADI AOW manual, jerkoff. Don't you teach that?" (He's a PADI dive center.)
Mocking your customers is a great way to attract business, didn't you learn that in Bizarro World Business School?
They might laugh on land, but you will be the one laughing when you see their dive skills. ("Paw sez I don't needz no finns...I just walks on da' bottom!")
I've been bruised and kicked around... Quite literally... By every LDS I've ever walked into... With the exception of one. Extreme Exposure in High Springs. Of course, they're not exactly your typical LDS...
This is insane...you have to drive to Florida to find a decent LDS...
Oh yeah... I've been in a Discount Divers store (or is it "Divers Discount?") right off of I-95 in Florida. It was the "Sam's Club" of diving, and had just about anything and everything you could ever need/want there... Including Dive Rite and (I believe) Halcyon. It was impressive.
Cool. It would be great to have a chain of dive stores like that.
LDSs' must be extremely arrogant to think that people are going to keep putting up with such nonsense. There are other choices and I will buy my own compressor and mixing gear if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom