Regs for Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those regs do not represent good value unless you're trying to get out as cheap as possible, especially with the free parts kits and service options with Deep6.

I am confused here, can you clarify please? The D6 and HOG aren't a good value??

Who is this "we" stuff? I don't agree and many others don't agree. YOu know what they say about "assuming" :)
(no, I am not arguing, just pointing out facts and making corrections).

The "we" I am referring to is myself, JohnnyC, and Teknitroxdiver. I realize that you are an Atomic fan because in every regulator thread you promote Atomic. I am not sure why you consider them such a great value when other brands have also proven their longevity.

@ams511 Dive Rite is no longer made by ODS. The XT series is made by WMD. You can easily find ATX50's with DST's, downside is the DST may have the 1/2" regulator port which requires a weird hose or adapter if you want to use it.
DGX versions of Deep6 regs are for all intents and purposes completely different regulators to the Signature series. HOG D1 vs D3 type of changes, major major difference. Those regs do not represent good value unless you're trying to get out as cheap as possible, especially with the free parts kits and service options with Deep6.

Thanks for the update on the Dive Rite regulators are the Deep6 also WMD?

I am not sure what the OP can find in Malaysia, but in the US the used DSTs are not such a great deal. I have a few I wanted to convert to DIN and 5th port. The 5th port kit is $46, DIN kit is $90, and the 1/2 in port plug is $4. So to convert one is $140. I can buy a new DGX first stage for $150.

I do have a question for you. How reliable are the swivels? Is there much difference between an Omni swivel and one from DGX or VDH?

in the US the used DSTs are not such a great deal. I have a few I wanted to convert to DIN and 5th port. The 5th port kit is $46, DIN kit is $90, and the 1/2 in port plug is $4.
In other parts of the world, a used DST would more often than not already be DIN since yoke is considered obsolete even for rec diving. Just sayin'.

I have the impression that some of the posters here on SB believe that the whole world looks like their back yard.

In other parts of the world, a used DST would more often than not already be DIN since yoke is considered obsolete even for rec diving. Just sayin'.

I have the impression that some of the posters here on SB believe that the whole world looks like their back yard.

I have the impression that some of the posters here on SB cannot read. Just saying.

I clearly qualified my statement, which you did not bother to quote, that I do not know what is available in Malaysia.

However, looking at an older thread from SB, it seems that yoke (aka A-clamp) seems to be popular in Asia including Malaysia. Newer threads seem to say this is still the case. So I guess the only person who thinks the whole world looks like their backyard is you.

BTW, I caught the part about yoke being obsolete but won't take your bait. good try at being a troll, go back to Twitter.

One regulator possibly worth considering is Tecline V2. Tecline has a distributor in Malaysia and Tecline regs are priced lower than Apeks in most markets. They are sealed diaphragm desings, probably manufactured by the same Taiwanese OEMs (although I am not sure).
V2 has nice TEK3 style hose routing with an unobtrusive 1st stage body.
Tecline also has 5 port turret design.
They have service kits and manuals available.
I think Tecline could be a perfect alternative to Hog or Deep6, because of it's prescence in Malaysia.

The "we" I am referring to is myself, JohnnyC, and Teknitroxdiver.

Then, you should qualify it and say: "We, the non-believers..."

:p

I realize that you are an Atomic fan because in every regulator thread you promote Atomic. I am not sure why you consider them such a great value when other brands have also proven their longevity.

I state my opinion based on my experience. As I have stated somewhere above, I have used many brands and worked on many also over the last 3 decades and I state what I know. Others here on SB sometimes do the same and sometimes just want to bash the established names in Scuba. I am an engineer and I love to thinker with regulators and love trying and comparing different brands and models. I even dive with more than one tank with different regulators to try and compare. I have access to several brands and models and they get used in my dive school. With the situation in Libya the last few years and the devaluation of our currency and the lack of cash in our banking system, I get to appreciate lower "Total Cost of Ownership" even more.

I am also passionate about what I do :)

@ams511 all of the Deep6 regs are from ODS

not much difference in reliability. The biggest thing with the ball swivels is when you get them, any of the ones from Asia, take them apart, clean the loctite off of the screw that holds the halves together, and loctite them. That is what causes them to separate. A lot of times the shipping from Asia will cause it to separate and/or it wasn't put all the way on during assembly so it doesn't hold properly. Very important part of assembly procedures and was the reason mine separated. Omniswivel is quite diligent about it on theirs and I have a dozen of those with no problems. The main reason I use omni's is because I got them for a screaming deal and they can double-duty as OPV's/adapters on my Poseidon regs.
That said, I don't believe DGX or VDH sell any of the ball swivels from Asia, only elbows. Cave Adventurers has the ball swivels. I don't like elbows as those have a lovely failure mode where the screw threads fail that hold the elbow together which is quite a treat to see happen. They're also not as comfortable and make storing regulators a bit annoying

@Storker while this is obviously a global forum, it is still US-centric

One regulator possibly worth considering is Tecline V2. Tecline has a distributor in Malaysia and Tecline regs are priced lower than Apeks in most markets. They are sealed diaphragm desings, probably manufactured by the same Taiwanese OEMs (although I am not sure).

Apeks manufactures all their regulators in Blackburn, UK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom