Regs for Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Random Dude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, need some opinion from you guys as to what regs would better suit my purpose.

I currently own a single tank MK17 Evo/G260, and am thinking about getting more regulators as I'm keen on going tech.

I see myself primarily doing doubles backmount, but I'm not against the idea of trying out sidemount in the future after some backmount diving.
I prefer diaphgram over piston designs as my local dive site is a lake with lots of silt and particles.
I would also prefer to learn to, and service my regs in the future.
Budget is a concern at this stage of time

My shortlisted regs/ combination are as follows

- MK17 Evo with G260
Since I already have a Mk17 Evo, I figured that it would be cheaper for me to get another one.
Would also like opinions on how the new Mk17 Evo routes on backmount doubles

- Apeks DST/DS4 with XTX50/100/200
For Apeks, I'll think I'll primarily be purchasing used due to budgetary concerns. Interested in Apeks due to all the good feedback from the tech community.

HOG D3 with Zenith
Interested mainly due to the high value for money. Also, I heard that it's easier to self service with HOGs. However, I've heard mixed reviews about them, with some standing by them, and some dissing them. From what I read, it's mainly due to QC issues. If so, I'm a bit reluctant to take chances with them.

Deep 6 Signature Doubles
Interested as feedback for it has so far been good. I like the ease of self service with these regs as well.
Would like to hear more on the routing for these as well.

Apart from the Deep 6s, parts and dealers are not issues. I live in SEA, so have yet to see a shop that stocks Deep 6 regs yet.
Price wise, they would come up like this
SP (for 1 more set) > HOG > Apeks (Second hand) > Deep 6 > Apeks (New)

Hope you guys can weigh in and give me some recommendations!

The Apeks DST or DS4 with an XTX50 2nd combo is pretty popular in my part of the world. Sealed diaphragm for cold water safety, and rock solid performance. The only difference between the 50, 100 and 200 2nd stages is the frontplate and decor.

But since pricing and availability of service kits seem to vary from one part of the world to another, I'd check on that before going for an Apeks set.

Check the Atomic M1 regulator made specifically for technical diving. It is a sealed PISTON with best performance and reliability:

Atomic Aquatics M1 Regulator

Here we go again … :laughrant:

OP asks: What do you think about A, B, C, D, E regulators?
Answer: Atomics M1. Preferably Titanium :)

XTX50 - I’m using them for SM. Of course, depends on your local pricing.

Routing is much nicer if your regs have a 5th LP port on the bottom.

Deep6 and HOG D3 are essentially copies/imitations of 5-port DST. They all give the same hose routing. Myself, I chose DST.

Last edited:
Deep6 and HOG D3 are essentially copies/imitatiotions of 5-port DST. They all give the same hose routing. Myself, I chose DST.

not quite. The HOG D1, and the DGX Deep Six regs are copies of the Apeks. The D3 is a huge improvement over it, and the Deep6 is a step change above that. Fit and finish on the Deep6 especially is easily on par with Scubapro/Apeks and the cost at least in this country is about 2/3's of what Apeks is. Add to that that in this country you are not allowed to buy parts/kits for any Aqualung regulators from them *yes I'm aware there are grey market kits available*, Apeks is a pretty terrible technical regulator recommendation in the US. Those that still use them have connections to be able to get parts, but most have gone away from them.

@Melvin Moi Kai Sen what is the actual prices of the regulators that you've listed? That will help a bit

Here we go again … :laughrant:

OP asks: What do you think about A, B, C, D, E regulators?
Answer: Atomics M1. Preferably Titanium :)

To be fair, the M1 is not titanium, and is legitimately a popular doubles reg that’s in the same price ballpark as some of the listed options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom