Regs and "bubble interference"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OkinawaRush

Reaction score
I have recently started diving (OW certified about five weeks ago) and bought my first set of gear already, which may have not been the best idea, but I've made four dives with it and enjoy everything so far.

My question is this: I bought the Sherwood Oasis regulator partially because it exhausts the air to the sides of my face and not directly in my field of view, which I found annoying with the rental reg I had. Why is that not a more common configuration? It seems that most regs are constructed where the bubbles will obscure your vision, though perhaps (likely) that there are ways to avoid that. With mine, I don't have to worry about it at all.

One other question, unrelated: What does DIR stand for?

is an acronym for Do It Right, which is a form of standardization, especially placement, for diving equipment, which is a very controversial subject here on the board.

Do a search with the term DIR and you will find out.

As you lengthen the exhaust tee, it may require greater exhalation effort to push the air out. It is a bit of a compromise in design. Also, the larger the exhaust tee, the greater the weight, although generally quite negligible.

In most cases as you move around in a horizontal position, the exhaust bubbles will trail behind you or around the side of your mask do to your head down position.

People notice bubble interference most during OW class, as much of your time is spent kneeling in a upright position.

The weight increase in the larger exhaust T's is negligible but the esthetic effect is appreciable-they don't look as small and as clean as the small T models.

Your best bet is just like BlueHole says: Get a Jetstream.

Oh, I'm happy with my Oasis right now and will likely keep it for a year or so before I think about changing it for something else. Also, I don't think the shops here sell Poseidon, but I could be wrong -- just don't remember seeing it (or maybe the price caused me "not to see it").

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom