Fathom w/o a stand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@211ratsbud - thanks for that pic. I hadn't conceived of putting the 3Ls all the way down like that. It would be nice to have it stand up on its own. Will have to think on that.

@211ratsbud - thanks for that pic. I hadn't conceived of putting the 3Ls all the way down like that. It would be nice to have it stand up on its own. Will have to think on that.
Just be mindful I'm not actually diving a fathom. That's a Meg can, with 50's on fathom tech rig mounts. Similar in proportions but not necessarily the same.
Sorry, best I have at the moment, but I think you can get a pretty good idea on where it all sits.

I can reach my valves easily even in 450 insulation, but God id be afraid of having any further weight distribution towards my feet. (Using light fins as it is!)

I can reach my valves easily even in 450 insulation, but God id be afraid of having any further weight distribution towards my feet. (Using light fins as it is!)

Interesting, every unit I’ve dove the back mounted 50s on (JJ, Defender/X-CCR, Fathom) all trim out pretty much just like a set of 104s. A bit head heavy. And that’s with the valves as low as possible.

Interesting, every unit I’ve dove the back mounted 50s on (JJ, Defender/X-CCR, Fathom) all trim out pretty much just like a set of 104s. A bit head heavy. And that’s with the valves as low as possible.
Damn I knew I was different

I moved the 50s down to put the shoulder at the top of the canister, and it's MUCH improved with over 30 deg of backward lean before the O2 reg hits the table. I did test going all the way down a few times with the reg/valve taking half the weight during that transition area -- it handled it well, despite all my cringing.

Thank you, everyone, for all your thoughts!

The regs and valves can take it. The biggest annoyance I had in that configuration would be the O2/suit inflation valves rolling on when I slid the unit into my car. With 1st stages attached it would lead to me watching the CL's fill up in my rear view mirror as the needle valve was constantly adding oxygen. Added a mental checklist item to double check all valves are closed when inside the car and stopped having the issue. With no 1st stages attached the roll on was quite annoying so I bought a set of the Din plugs with integrated pressure release for transportation.

You can disconnect the O2 LP inflator hose from the MAV while the unit is being transported from your house to the dive site. It solves the problem of the O2 accidentally turning on and filling the CL's / draining the O2 bottle.

Something like these is what I was thinking of for reference.

Tons of options available.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231217_233414_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_233414_Chrome.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 43
You can disconnect the O2 LP inflator hose from the MAV while the unit is being transported from your house to the dive site. It solves the problem of the O2 accidentally turning on and filling the CL's / draining the O2 bottle.
How am Im so f-Ing stupid that this never once crossed my brain to do.

I’d blame your instructor 🤣🤣🤣
I think we were one of the first couple of people he certified when the fathom came out so he gets a pass. But only this one time.
(I assume you mean Kelvin not Ken)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom