Reggae

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you'd like to listen to some really innovative instrumental reggae, then I recommend Augustus Pablo. East of the River Nile is especially nice. So is Earth's Rightful Ruler and King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown.
And for a change of pace, how about some dub poetry? Linton Kwesie Johnson (Dread Beat an' Blood and Forces of Victory I like a lot) and Mutabaruka (Check It and Outcry).

Gee, most of my reggae collection is on vinyl and is boxed up. I gotta get me one of those things that converts vinyl to digital. Then I be jammin

Hey Jamdiver. Where's my Red Stripe? :D

I agree that you should start with Bob Marley. It's great Roots Reggae. My guess is that Roots Reggae is the sound you are looking for. I agree with Trinigordo. Do not start with Legend. Start with Bob's real albums and whenever possible buy them on the "Tuff Gong" label. Stay away from the "Island records" label. Both labels will often offer the same album, trust me you want Tuff Gong. I think others will second this.

As far as new stuff that you may enjoy... Try some Israel Vibration. Steel Pulse, Ras Shiloh, and Morgan Heritage are all great too.

Hey Trinigordo, Can I take you up on the offer of suggestions? With Bob and Peter gone my collection is getting a little dated. Been trying lots of new stuff but always end up back at Bob and Peter. I'd love to find some new reggae by artists who still have deep roots sound!

fairybasslet:
If you'd like to listen to some really innovative instrumental reggae, then I recommend Augustus Pablo. East of the River Nile is especially nice. So is Earth's Rightful Ruler and King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown.
And for a change of pace, how about some dub poetry? Linton Kwesie Johnson (Dread Beat an' Blood and Forces of Victory I like a lot) and Mutabaruka (Check It and Outcry).

Gee, most of my reggae collection is on vinyl and is boxed up. I gotta get me one of those things that converts vinyl to digital. Then I be jammin

Hey Jamdiver. Where's my Red Stripe? :D

Since you're so nice, I'll take a pic of one with me at my dive club later :14::14:.
Lol, i'll make sure to drink it extra slow too, hehehe

No keep it in Vinyl, I love the cover art on some of those records!
BTW, we have mentioned Luciano already right?

Jamdiver:
Since you're so nice, I'll take a pic of one with me at my dive club later :14::14:.
Lol, i'll make sure to drink it extra slow too, hehehe

No keep it in Vinyl, I love the cover art on some of those records!
BTW, we have mentioned Luciano already right?

I don't think we did mention Luciano, but what about Sugar Minott and Yellowman.

I would like to formally apologize to the Scubaboard community for neglecting to mention The Congos, The Gladiators, MIchael Rose and Culture in my previous post. :11:

I was at work...It was an honest mistake. I hope you will not hold it against me.

For penance gdenny thou must listen to all of thou's reggae collection plus any artists mentioned above...

And also have a Red Stripe,
Fairy these are for you....... and the beer was even warm :D :D

Case of beer
DSCF0839Small.jpg

Warm beer! The horror...
DSCF0851Small.jpg

Thread has officially been hijacked.

Yeah fairy, good list but a new comer to reggae at the tender age of 51 that isn't in to weed, I doubt they will really submerge themselves in Dub. But I am personally a big fan of Augustus Pablo. Scratch is almost like robbie and sly they in everything, Scratch Perry worked with almost every name in reggae.

And I am with Jamdiver, until Jah Cure get out and start making music faster I think Mr. Gentleman is the best thing around now both of his last cds are must buys.... Oddly enough there is a lot of quality reggae coming from everywhere but Jamaica. This is very odd, since reggae and Jamaica are synonymous for good reasons.

Gordo

No one really listens to it but I am a huge Mishka fan.. It was a random economical purchase I made in London, just saw it and the price tag of 4 pound 99 pence was nice so figured I'd give him a shot and was very pleasantly suprised.
He always have some woman problem to sing about but very chilled and laidback acoustic reggae. His first album was the bomb. Look for tracks like Lonely, Happy, Bring a Man Down,etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom