Reggae

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do to some extent,when i'm going out clubbing or partying with friends.

But it is such disposable music,constantly singing about girls, expensive cars and bragging about how "bad" they are. Plus a dose of homophobia thrown it at times.
It's all the same.

Just total and complete B@#^!, have you listened to the beats that they're using?
10 guys on the same rhythm who can't rap or sing.

If you understand patois (patwa), then i'm sure you know what most of the time they're really saying.
Really what I'm saying is that most of the songs aren't deep and that's good sometimes but not all the time.

It gets old after a while, I have a soft spot for Sean Paul though...

Dutty yo!

howarde:
Don't like Bounty Killa... Elephant Man? Less intense, but cool new dancehall.

Actually Toots Hibbert (Toots & Maytalls) told me that Bounty Killa was one of his favorite current artists. It is a little on the harder edge side though.

Yes... I used to do sound... I got to do 2 shows with Steel Pulse last summer... It was awesome, but REGGAE is pretty much ALL that I listen to these days.
I can relate Howarde, my musical tastes have be evolving over the past couple of years. Gone from the CD case are the CD's of Van Halen and Metallica, to be replaced by Steel Pulse (as I posted earlier) and other more "Caribbean sounds". I've always been a huge Parrothead, but this genre is what I listen to 90% of the time now. In addition to the bands that have been posted that are in my CD case, I got the chance to see a band out of Boston called the JOINT CHIEFS last summer that I really liked. They sell their Cd's online, take a chance, they're pretty good.
C-Dawg
PS Toots & the Maytalls played here about 6 months ago....great show!

http://www.iriefm.net/
Thought you guys would like this to get your reggae fix.
Irie FM, a local station that plays nothing but reggae.

On 2nd thought maybe not, you have to subscribe to listen to them.
Well i'm just putting it out there.

Jamdiver:
http://www.iriefm.net/
Thought you guys would like this to get your reggae fix.
Irie FM, a local station that plays nothing but reggae.

On 2nd thought maybe not, you have to subscribe to listen to them.
Well i'm just putting it out there.
Looks like a great site, but I can listen to a similar station on AO-Hell (AOL) radio for free.
I have asked for an XM radio for the Divemobile, so I can listen to a reggae station I heard on a friends radio, or radio Margaritaville. I'm sick of the local stations that think Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin and others put out 4 or 5 songs and play them over and over.
C-Dawg

Vtdiver2:
I can relate Howarde, my musical tastes have be evolving over the past couple of years. Gone from the CD case are the CD's of Van Halen and Metallica, to be replaced by Steel Pulse (as I posted earlier) and other more "Caribbean sounds". I've always been a huge Parrothead, but this genre is what I listen to 90% of the time now. In addition to the bands that have been posted that are in my CD case, I got the chance to see a band out of Boston called the JOINT CHIEFS last summer that I really liked. They sell their Cd's online, take a chance, they're pretty good.
C-Dawg
PS Toots & the Maytalls played here about 6 months ago....great show!

I'll keep an eye for Joint chiefs, vtdiver2.
BTW have you guys listen to DJ gentleman?
He's from Germany, great songs, great music so much so in fact that I bought his cd.
Damion "Junior Gong" Marley has a new cd out too, "Welcome to Jamrock."

Vtdiver2:
Looks like a great site, but I can listen to a similar station on AO-Hell (AOL) radio for free.
I have asked for an XM radio for the Divemobile, so I can listen to a reggae station I heard on a friends radio, or radio Margaritaville. I'm sick of the local stations that think Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin and others put out 4 or 5 songs and play them over and over.
C-Dawg

I know what you mean, that's why I download 'liberally' hehe.
Nice jeep, looks quite Scuba friendly :).

Have to put this out there, growing up in the 80's here as a small child, I distincly remember watching the "Iron, lion, Zion" video by Bob, I loooved it so much.
Was mindblowing to me at the time :14:.

I have the portable XM radio thingy. I listen to XM 101 - in the car, on the beach, at home in the mountains, everywhere.

Jamdiver:
He's from Germany, great songs, great music so much so in fact that I bought his cd.
I read a review of Marley's CD, and want to pick it up. Here's a great site for checking out the new stuff coming out http://www.reggae-reviews.com/index.html
I'll have to check out DJ Gentleman, thanks for the heads up,
C-Dawg

Jamdiver:

Gentelman is good... "jamrock" is pretty hot too... I could see that song making it's way to the pop charts very catchy.

Jamdiver...Yes, a lot of dancehall is like gangsta rap in the US, but... a lot of the background tracks on the dancehall is the roots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom