Reg suggestions for sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fireman1396

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know this has been asked a million times, but here goes.
So I’m just starting to consider looking into sidemount.
Most of my diving is cold/silty.
I currently am using a Zeagle Onyx II for my BM regs. Due to availability to me, and serviceability with my current shop, was hoping to stick with something Zeagle if possible.
I do have access and service for most of the brands that now fall under Huish.
Anyone?

A lot of us use Apeks XTX50 with the rotating turret on first stage and fifth port. Makes for much better hose routing.

The Deep6 and Dive Rite are popular, as are ScubaPro.

Go check out the DGX website for their SM reg packages. Apeks is stupidly expensive in the US unless you already have them, as I did.

Don’t know squat about Zeagle.

What’s the attraction to SM for you?

A lot of us use Apeks XTX50 with the rotating turret on first stage and fifth port. Makes for much better hose routing.

The Deep6 and Dive Rite are popular, as are ScubaPro.

Go check out the DGX website for their SM reg packages. Apeks is stupidly expensive in the US unless you already have them, as I did.

Don’t know squat about Zeagle.

What’s the attraction to SM for you?
The suggestions are Much appreciated, will check it out. mainly at the moment I have a desire to further my training for doing longer/deeper dives, and I also like the redundancy offered. (Both of these I am well aware can be handled with BM Doubles.) the reason for not looking at BM doubles at the moment is the area where I do a lot of my diving requires a long walk up/down a large steep hill. Not really interested in carrying the weight of BM doubles in that scenario, so being able to bring the cylinders down separately is appealing.

Just because regs worked for doubles, doesn’t mean they’re going to have the best hose routing for SM.

Do you have tanks set up for SM now? Try your doubles regs and see how the hose routing would work. Just play around with it to have an idea. I think you may very well find they wouldn’t work that well for SM.

If I was going to be getting a SM reg set now, I’d go with the Dive Rite one from DGX. Everything is there. Something like $850-$900 just off the top of my head. Apeks are stupidly expensive here in the US.

Just because regs worked for doubles, doesn’t mean they’re going to have the best hose routing for SM.

Do you have tanks set up for SM now? Try your doubles regs and see how the hose routing would work. Just play around with it to have an idea. I think you may very well find they wouldn’t work that well for SM.

If I was going to be getting a SM reg set now, I’d go with the Dive Rite one from DGX. Everything is there. Something like $850-$900 just off the top of my head. Apeks are stupidly expensive here in the US.
Oh I know BM regs aren’t gonna route right. That’s why the want for suggestions for a dedicated SM set. I don’t have anything set for SM yet, just putting feelers out. Again thanks for the help :)

Any turret reg with a 5th port will do you well. I use the same regs for BM and SM, its a few minutes to swap a few hoses to different ports and away I go.

Also, DIN is much nicer than Yoke. Yoke adds an extra knob in the tank valve area which just complicates things. Leave the first stage dust cover on land for the same reason.

+1 on a turret and 5th port. There are descriptions of how it can work without those, with slightly longer hoses, but life is easier with them.

Deep6 and SP Mk25 here. Happy with both.

One difference is the angle of the HP port. On the D6, the HP port comes out at 90 degrees from the DIN port while the SP is angled to come a bit more forward in BM. I do not have tanks in front of me, but it makes almost no difference, as when the short HP hose goes down the SM tank, the tank curves it up anyway.

Also, DIN is much nicer than Yoke. Yoke adds an extra knob in the tank valve area which just complicates things. Leave the first stage dust cover on land for the same reason.

+1 on a turret and 5th port. There are descriptions of how it can work without those, with slightly longer hoses, but life is easier with them.

Deep6 and SP Mk25 here. Happy with both.

One difference is the angle of the HP port. On the D6, the HP port comes out at 90 degrees from the DIN port while the SP is angled to come a bit more forward in BM. I do not have tanks in front of me, but it makes almost no difference, as when the short HP hose goes down the SM tank, the tank curves it up anyway.
I bought my Onyx II DIN, so I only own din regs already anyhow, so no worries there. :wink: Thank you for the suggestions

I know this has been asked a million times, but here goes.
So I’m just starting to consider looking into sidemount.
Most of my diving is cold/silty.
I currently am using a Zeagle Onyx II for my BM regs. Due to availability to me, and serviceability with my current shop, was hoping to stick with something Zeagle if possible.
I do have access and service for most of the brands that now fall under Huish.
Anyone?

If you are using Zeagle, then your LDS will surely carry Atomic. Atomic is best and has all that you need. Best value is their M1 regulator.

You can keep your Zeagle and even keep you inflator hoseS.
Left:
-coming from the top, your short lp hose.
-coming from the bottom, your BM wing inflator hose which will curve nicely to go up again to your wing inflator.
-coming from the bottom, your BM HP hose with your gauge stuck between bungees on the tank.
Right:
-all coming from the bottom, your long hose bungeed on the tank before coming to your neck, the new 6" HP with gauge you need to get and your second BM inflator hose sets as the wing inflator hose.
Of course, you can get new regulators and new hoses to be "perfect" but frankly starting to use that you have is doable also.
Just enjoy your diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom