Reg Choice Help! Scubapro, Oceanic or Atomic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As with Tavi my LDS has loaned me a computer and on another occation a regulator and on several occations tanks.

Sorry your LDS is so stoggy.

lairdb:
No... but neither will my LDS, and the money I saved is enough to buy a whole 'nother reg set (or rent one twenty times over.)

(Is there a beating-a-dead-horse smiley?)

That does bite -- one of the things about supporting an LDS is that it should be a positive business relationship, which includes actually spending $ on my part and staff helping out. Tanks and widgets are about the only things I'd buy elsewhere (tanks because getting steel can still be a pain -- AL80s I buy local), and widgets are a don't care -- they'll special order just about anything, comp me on some small stuff, and give me a discount on anything that costs more than a few bucks (pretty close to Larry's prices, which most folks agree are quite good).

I had boots that failed early -- no problem, took them in, had new ones for diving the next day. A wrist seam problem on a drysuit -- no issue, it's en route for a factory repair, and I could borrow one if I wanted to dive this weekend. Minor tuning problem on my pony reg -- stopped by, they repaired it while I waited, shot the breeze about new toys and diving.

I feel for you if your LDS isn't like that -- a place you enjoy going to, learning from, don't feel like you're taking a beating on prices.

I have the B1, fitted with the larger exhaust tee, and the B2 swivel hose. Works great, no regrets.

Can anyone comment on service, especially away from the US, on the three vendors mentioned? I've heard - unconfirmed - that with Scubapro, it's probably easier to find authorized service around the world than Atomic. I don't know about Oceanic

I'd go with the Atomic first, the Scuba Pro second and the Oceanic third. I'm a big fan of the Atomic. I love Scuba Pro regs as well. I don't have anything bad to say about Oceanic. You will be happy with any of the three.

Tavi:
Of the choices you give, I'd go with the Atomic.
I have a freind that has one of the first Atomics made (12-13 yrs old?)
He dives 2 to 3 dives a day 6 days a week, 50 weeks a year.

Atomic was founded in 1995, max he has an 8 or 9 yr old reg, but anyhow atomics are my favorite, They also have that 2 yr service interval that is nice.

I have the Atomic and have been more than thrilled. The swivel on the second stage is awesome, gives alot more flexibility. I have the B2 with the wide exhaust valve. The 2-year service is nice...less time with your reg away from you. And the company seems great, I know the dive shops find dealing with them to be by and large pleasant. Good luck! :wink:

ronpriskie:
I hear the diving is OK in Aruba, True?

Since it was my first and only place ever...it was pretty darn cool to me :) The wrecks were great. Dive outfit was topnotch I'm told by my buddies that have dived/dove/diven???? all over the place. They bought a time share there, so ask me again next Labour Day and I'll tell ya more since I'll have my AOW then and can do more dives.

Lots to do on land there...esp. with a jeep and a bad map...we had some adventures off road.

I can't speak for anything but Scubapro. I have had my 2 MK25/S600 to 191 ffw and they breath as easy as 30 ffw. You also mentioned Cenotes and springs... if you get the bug you will have no problem configuring the Scubapros for a tech setup.
Just my $.02
Dive Safe, Dive Often
Butch:scubadive

You might have an easier time getting emergency service while on vacation in the caribbean on SP regs than atomic, and I have no idea about oceanic.

Then again, a dive shop employee in Cozumel told me the easiest reg to get parts and service for in Cozumel is mares; go figure. Certainly one would think you'd be able to find SP parts and service alot of places. I'm not sure that the X650 is the best choice for 2nd stage though, you might search some of DA aquamaster's posts on the subject. Maybe the G250 wold be a more tried and true 2nd stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom