Reg Choice Help! Scubapro, Oceanic or Atomic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Atomic Z1 and am really happy with it. My girlfriend has a SP G250/ MK25 which I like as well.
I tried both at 95 feet and couldn't tell a difference between the 2.
I was able to get the Atomic local for 150 dollars less than the SP G250 so I decided to go with the Atomic and have no regrets whatsoever.

honestly most of these regs are so good that if you all were blindfolded you couldnt tell the difference. the quality is so good that even the inferior ones are still capable. this is mainly due to the tough testing laws and competition.

markfm:
Depending on how often you expect to dive, this might be a good thing to look for from your LDS -- it can be really convenient to get local service. (Sometimes you may just want a minor tweak done on something, or to ask minor questions.)

I guess I thought that as long as I bought from an authorized dealer online (Oceanic is the only one of the three where that's a possibility) then I could get it serviced locally. Am I wrong? I am going to try the local shops around here -- they're split up around the burbs of Philly, DE, NJ and Philly proper. Lots of driving since none of them carry even two of the brands in stock. I'd like to rent and go swimming with each but not sure if that's a usual occurance. I'm going to give each shop (and online) my choice in reg, BC, and computer and see what kind of price they can give me as a package. LDS would be great as long as they can match the online price from an authorized dealer.

We have both the Delta 4/FDX-10 and the B2. The B2 is clearly the favorite. The swivel works a lot better and the exhaust is wider on the B2. The bundled mouthpiece on the B2 is also nicer, but we replaced both of them anyway. Last but not least, the B2 doesn't have the dive/pre-dive switch -- it's automagic. The Delta 4 is a fine reg, though. I don't think you would go wrong with either one. It's neat being able to change the color on the Oceanic in about 30 seconds, without tools. They both breathe great.

I used to use the MK25 with a S600. My recommendation would be to go with the ScubaPro setup but go with the MK17 instead of the MK25. I can't tell the difference in the way they breath and the MK17 is over $100 less than the MK25. The main reason to go with the SP setup though is their wonderful customer service. As I have posted before, I had a small issue, called them, and the company gave me the local reps number. I called him, talked with him about five minutes and he told me to go to my LDS and the problem was taken care of. I showed up at my LDS and was pleasantly surprised with a number of options that were all better than I would have expected. ScubaPro took wonderful care of me. I have not had experience with the other companies nor will I after the way I was taken of. ScubaPro will continue to get my business, hopefully yours too.

Can you buy online and get it serviced locally? Sure. It all comes down to the level of service you want and how free you feel about just dropping in for a question or two. I bought 2 Atomic B2's and 2 Atomic SS1's at the same time. I could have bought them from Scubatoys and saved $300. However, for me, it was worth $300 to do business at a LDS where they know me, they know my equipment and I get priority over the guy who bought his reg online but dropped it off for service.

That's how I felt about regulators and computers and from time-to-time I do drop in for a question or two. For items such as torches, knives, BC's, masks and other items I've happily bought from Joe or Larry at Scubatoys because I didn't feel quite the same way about those items nor is the need to for service and support as great either.

There's nothing wrong with an Oceanic Reg. Check the Delta 4. It's their newest I think. If the only LDS I wanted to do business with sold Oceanic then I guess I'd be diving with an Oceanic Reg.

LOL,

Don
flannelwoof@aol.com:
I guess I thought that as long as I bought from an authorized dealer online (Oceanic is the only one of the three where that's a possibility) then I could get it serviced locally. Am I wrong? I am going to try the local shops around here -- they're split up around the burbs of Philly, DE, NJ and Philly proper. Lots of driving since none of them carry even two of the brands in stock. I'd like to rent and go swimming with each but not sure if that's a usual occurance. I'm going to give each shop (and online) my choice in reg, BC, and computer and see what kind of price they can give me as a package. LDS would be great as long as they can match the online price from an authorized dealer.

I myself own a SP Mk25/X650 - R390 bungied backup combo. I throw another Mk25 into the mix when I break out the doubles.

All three of those are great choices, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone the Mk25/S600 or even the Apeks route. The X650 is a good reg, but there are other just as good and maybe even cheaper alternatives.

I'm a firm believer in purchasing life support gear from LDSes by the way. Gloves, computer or mask, that's one thing, but tanks and regs are LDS only. YMMV.

My Regs are all Apeks.
Of the choices you give, I'd go with the Atomic.
I have a freind that has one of the first Atomics made (12-13 yrs old?)
He dives 2 to 3 dives a day 6 days a week, 50 weeks a year.

If I ever replace my Apeks regs I will seriously consider Atomics.

I agree with Derek about buying from a LDS.

If my reg had problems and couldn't be repaired Imediately, My LDS would give me a loaner. Will your online dealer do that for you ?!?!?

Go with the oceanic. they also have lifetime parts if service is done by authorized dealer regularly. I dive a delta 3 and prefer it over the 4 but alas it's no longer made. Oceanics customer service is top rate also. As an oceanic dealer however I'm biased although we also carry sherwood which is a fine reg. Still have a few new old stock aqualung regs also. I've not tried them. I started with a brut went to the delta and love it. The brut is on my pony because I know I can count on it. And yeah, if you need service or repair and want to dive before it's done a loaner is no problem.

Tavi:
If my reg had problems and couldn't be repaired Imediately, My LDS would give me a loaner. Will your online dealer do that for you ?!?!?

No... but neither will my LDS, and the money I saved is enough to buy a whole 'nother reg set (or rent one twenty times over.)

(Is there a beating-a-dead-horse smiley?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom