Reef Trip Sept. 6th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I will have to ask her about that. As of now I don't have a "dive buddy". I don't have family here that dives. My husband is afraid of "sharks". I came across this board looking for a dive club. So hopefully I will find people that are willing to deal with a "newbie"

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
Thanks, I will have to ask her about that. As of now I don't have a "dive buddy". I don't have family here that dives. My husband is afraid of "sharks". I came across this board looking for a dive club. So hopefully I will find people that are willing to deal with a "newbie"

Newbies are not a problem. As far as spearing goes. I'll be happy to help you as much as I can. My wife dives but she is a fair weather diver. If she has to put on a wetsuit she won't go. She likes that warm water and she doesn't shoot fish so if your interested in spearing we can try to set something up. In the winter you can go down and hit the spanish rocks and shoot some good fish. When the water gets cold all the big fishies come to shore and it makes it nice.

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]

Newbies are not a problem. As far as spearing goes. I'll be happy to help you as much as I can. My wife dives but she is a fair weather diver. If she has to put on a wetsuit she won't go. She likes that warm water and she doesn't shoot fish so if your interested in spearing we can try to set something up. In the winter you can go down and hit the spanish rocks and shoot some good fish. When the water gets cold all the big fishies come to shore and it makes it nice.

Thanks, for the invite. I am so glad I found this board. I can't wait to meet everyone at the next m&g

Diving and country music is all I need to feel good. (well, maybe a stiff drink too)

I know Scuba West does a very nice spear fishing seminar!

I dont know when the next when is scheduled though. They usually have a big turning out. You get food, soda, and are taught all sorts of things regarding the sport.

Trying emailing info@scubawest.net and ask for more details. I'm sure Jeff will help you out!

- Boats

I'm starting to think Boats works for Scuba West!!!!!

Good pics - looks like it was a fun dive. Did anyone happen to notice any anemones on the ledge?

I wasn't looking for macro stuff as I was trying to find and kill big fish :) I did happen to notice two of anemone we have around here that are similar to the "Elegant Anemone". A couple of worms as well, if that matters to you.

I wasn't looking for macro stuff as I was trying to find and kill big fish :) I did happen to notice two of anemone we have around here that are similar to the "Elegant Anemone". A couple of worms as well, if that matters to you.

Are you referring to the anemone in the picture that you have? If so, that's the "beaded anemone" also known as the rock anemone, Epicystis crucifer. I'm looking to find (collect) the anemone that Humann calls the "lightbulb anemone" (p. 99 in the 2nd Ed.) to have it identified by an expert. I know of two sites where I've seen them, but I don't know if I'll get back to those areas. Just thought to inquire about other sites...knowing where to find them would be most helpful.

Are you referring to the anemone in the picture that you have? If so, that's the "beaded anemone" also known as the rock anemone, Epicystis crucifer. I'm looking to find (collect) the anemone that Humann calls the "lightbulb anemone" (p. 99 in the 2nd Ed.) to have it identified by an expert. I know of two sites where I've seen them, but I don't know if I'll get back to those areas. Just thought to inquire about other sites...knowing where to find them would be most helpful.

The orange and blue anemone of mine? No. I mean those ones with no tentacles. Very "boring" color or brown and green. Did not notice any lightbulb anemones, sorry. I can keep my eyes peeled for you though on the next trip.

Hey Nancy, I am trying to get an ID on the horrific looking jellys that we encountered. I posted stinging cauliflower but I am not convinced. Humanns pic has some differences from the ones we saw. Some had tentacles 12+ feet. Any ideas? I'm thinking it is an invasive species. This is what Capt. Ty heard: "Apparently those are carniverous pink jellies, introduced to the gulf by way of ships from the orient dumping thier ballast water in our swimming pool!" I looked for pics of that and could not find any good enough to say for sure that is it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom