Reef Trip Sept. 6th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm starting to think Boats works for Scuba West!!!!!

I like the shop. And, the guys -n- gals are friendly! :D

I gotta be me!

- Boats

I gotta be me!

- Boats

A lot of us do the same thing when referrring peeps to Capt. Ty. He runs a superb operation and we want everyone to have a great time diving, so we recommend him. If you like a dive shop, tell peeps about it. Great ops get great reviews, those that aren't so good, don't!:cool2:

Boats, you be who you gotta be!!

The orange and blue anemone of mine? No. I mean those ones with no tentacles. Very "boring" color or brown and green. Did not notice any lightbulb anemones, sorry. I can keep my eyes peeled for you though on the next trip.

Hey Nancy, I am trying to get an ID on the horrific looking jellys that we encountered. I posted stinging cauliflower but I am not convinced. Humanns pic has some differences from the ones we saw. Some had tentacles 12+ feet. Any ideas? I'm thinking it is an invasive species. This is what Capt. Ty heard: "Apparently those are carniverous pink jellies, introduced to the gulf by way of ships from the orient dumping thier ballast water in our swimming pool!" I looked for pics of that and could not find any good enough to say for sure that is it.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the no tentacle anemones that you're talking about. Thanks for keeping a lookout for the lightbulb anemones.

As for the jelly - it's really hard to ID from photos and I have no idea, but I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

I gotta be me!

- Boats

I never said there was anything wrong with it!!!!:wink:

[/quote] Hey Nancy, I am trying to get an ID on the horrific looking jellys that we encountered. I posted stinging cauliflower but I am not convinced. Humanns pic has some differences from the ones we saw. Some had tentacles 12+ feet. Any ideas? I'm thinking it is an invasive species. This is what Capt. Ty heard: "Apparently those are carniverous pink jellies, introduced to the gulf by way of ships from the orient dumping thier ballast water in our swimming pool!" I looked for pics of that and could not find any good enough to say for sure that is it.[/quote]

Could they be Sea Nettles? This one has a bit darker pigment then what we seen but I think they look kind of alike.

1.jpg

Hey Nancy, I am trying to get an ID on the horrific looking jellys that we encountered. I posted stinging cauliflower but I am not convinced. Humanns pic has some differences from the ones we saw. Some had tentacles 12+ feet. Any ideas? I'm thinking it is an invasive species. This is what Capt. Ty heard: "Apparently those are carniverous pink jellies, introduced to the gulf by way of ships from the orient dumping thier ballast water in our swimming pool!" I looked for pics of that and could not find any good enough to say for sure that is it.[/quote]

Could they be Sea Nettles? This one has a bit darker pigment then what we seen but I think they look kind of alike.

1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

No definitely not. The closest I have found is the stinging cauliflower,

I thought I had heard or read something about the jellyfish in question. Scroll to near the end of this document: http://tbep.org/pdfs/divecard5.pdf. Did the jellyfish look like the carnivorous jellyfish or big pink jellyfish (gotta love those common names)?

By the way, that document is also available on a lamenated diver's card. If anyone who's local wants one, either order it from the Tampa Bay Estuary Program (I believe they are free) or I can drop several of them off to Jim's Dive Shop.

I thought I had heard or read something about the jellyfish in question. Scroll to near the end of this document: http://tbep.org/pdfs/divecard5.pdf. Did the jellyfish look like the carnivorous jellyfish or big pink jellyfish (gotta love those common names)?

By the way, that document is also available on a lamenated diver's card. If anyone who's local wants one, either order it from the Tampa Bay Estuary Program (I believe they are free) or I can drop several of them off to Jim's Dive Shop.

That is the one Capt. Ty suggested. That pic though isn't very good - looks like it could be it though. I googled for a while the other day and never found a decent pic so I could say for sure. One thing to note, these guys were found on top and at depth (I actually checked my gauge and made note of that). One in particular was at 15 ft, upside down, tentacles going toward the surface. I also found some in about 25-30ft of water. OD, you can't get your hands on a decent pic of one of these, can you?

Hey Nancy, I am trying to get an ID on the horrific looking jellys that we encountered. I posted stinging cauliflower but I am not convinced. Humanns pic has some differences from the ones we saw. Some had tentacles 12+ feet. Any ideas? I'm thinking it is an invasive species. This is what Capt. Ty heard: "Apparently those are carniverous pink jellies, introduced to the gulf by way of ships from the orient dumping thier ballast water in our swimming pool!" I looked for pics of that and could not find any good enough to say for sure that is it.

"Me no likey jellies" :no:

That is the one Capt. Ty suggested. That pic though isn't very good - looks like it could be it though. I googled for a while the other day and never found a decent pic so I could say for sure. One thing to note, these guys were found on top and at depth (I actually checked my gauge and made note of that). One in particular was at 15 ft, upside down, tentacles going toward the surface. I also found some in about 25-30ft of water. OD, you can't get your hands on a decent pic of one of these, can you?

Try this site: New medusa. This USGS site contains useful info too, but no pictures - http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=2381.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom