Reef Dive or Baited Shark Dive off Palm Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kate Rister

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will have just one day to dive in early February while in Jupiter, FL, in route to Homosassa to photograph the manatees. I have been researching the diving in Jupiter. My options are a 3 tank dive where each dive is just sharks. OR, a 2-tank dive on reefs where sharks may be present. I am a photographer, anyone have suggestions on which of those two dives would be better?

What is your objective?
Must you have shark pictures?
Do you support the killing of fish and the use of it to artificially attract and influence the behavior and spatial distribution of sharks?
Are you willing to assume the additional personal safety risk associated with entering the water with sharks that have been artificially stimulated and possibly fed?

Consider diving the wrecks off West Palm where sharks are likely but not guaranteed. Force E on Blue Heron Blvd in Riviera Beach does not have boats but places divers on a variety of boats depending on what the boats are doing and what the diver desires. There are many dive shops and dive boats in the small area surrounding 3-4 marinas. This area is about 15-20 minutes south of Jupiter on US1.

I am comfortable in my ability to participate in both shark dives and regular dives in which you see sharks. Are the regular dives off of Jupiter as nice as diving in say, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan? I will check out Force E as well, thank you.

Hi Kate,

Seems like the Lemon Sharks should still be around in Jupiter. I'm not a fan of the shark feeding activity, I would go looking for the Lemons. I have had some great dives at this time of year with Jupiter Dive Center. You didn't say what day you'd be diving, they have a 3 tanker on Friday and Sunday, I really like the former, uncrowded, more experienced divers... In addition to Lemons, good chance to see Reef Sharks, turtles, Goliath Grouper. Have a great visit

Good diving, Craig

A lot depends on what type of photos you're after...

...and whether you are in favor of shark feeding or not. The issue has polarized many of the divers in SE FL. It may also depend on whether you want to sit around in one place taking shark photos for the entire dive or do some moving around and seeing other things. To each their own

Are the regular dives off of Jupiter as nice as diving in say, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan? I will check out Force E as well, thank you.
Cozumel is vastly superior to Jupiter imo. I've never been to Belize or Roatan butI have to believe there is some reason divers flock to those third world countries.

The east coast of FL has a somewhat famous mass migration that happens roughly this time of year. If you can catch it, there's thousands of sharks. For all I know it might have already happened or maybe won't happen at all due to a large shark cull authorized by the FWC.

Jupiter, Cozumel & Belize are quite different. Here's my 2014 Jupiter Trip Report from the Goliath Grouper aggregation. A few points:

1.) The week I did 10 dives there, the viz. in Jupiter was much less than in Cozumel or Belize, but adequate.

2.) With Jupiter think sort of a ledge edge of a fairly flat plateau underwater, with a 'lawn' of reef on it, rather than what many people think of a 'reef' (e.g.: sloping or vertical wall, or the spur & groove formation).

3.) Jupiter is sought out for big animals, particularly the lemon shark migration early in the year, and the Goliath grouper aggregation in the Fall. It's also a place where people go for shark feeding dives.

4.) Jupiter & Cozumel are drift diving. Of my 10 dives at J. & 2 at Cozumel, they were both 'hot drop' where the boat follows for later pick up. The Belize live-aboard moored and we came back to where the dive started.

Appreciate a place for its own merits or you may well be disappointed. If you hit Jupiter expecting the great viz. & varied topography Cozumel is famous for, you may be bitterly disappointed. But if you come the right time of year looking to photograph numbers of Goliath grouper, for instance, you may love it.

Richard.

What is your objective?

.... Are the regular dives off of Jupiter as nice as diving in say, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan?

Jupiter is so diverse and so many choices of things to see.

Sooo Kate,,,,let's reverse Jim's question above......
Describe for us the best, most favorite dive you've ever done with what you saw, the dive Op's name and we'll tell you how to get an even better dive in Jupiter / WPB and make it your new favorite place to dive. I'm diving JUP/WPB tomorrow and all of us local divers really want to put visitors on spots that they'll love. From BHB's seahorses, to WPB's Flower gardens, to Jup's Big Stuff, we got a menu so big you'll need longer arms to see it !!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom