Redundant buoyancy in warm weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A drysuit is quick to put on and quick to take off. It's amazing how quickly one dresses and enters the water in hot weather :D On the other hand, I've heard people complain how hot wetsuits are in the sun and how difficult they are to take off and put back on while wet. Don't know. Have never used one.

Breathable diving suits do exist: Heavy Light Kevlar BDS | Ursuk

Why baste in your own juices wearing a drysuit in the tropics?

The luxury & attraction of diving wet in 28 to 32deg C seawater is the soothing saline immersion in the "bathwater" liquid temperature itself --not to further irritate your skin in your own gritty/stinky perspiration for the duration of the dive by wearing a drysuit. For the long deco profile runs, I now utilize a UTD belt cummerbund heater to ward-off hypothermia.

I've been tech wreck diving Indo-Pacific tropical regions with manadatory deco now for seven years, using only a 0.5mil full skinsuit with a 3mil hooded vest underneath (Aluminum BP/W with AL 80's twinset, AL80 deco cylinders of 50% & 100% O2 & an AL80 stage tank of bottom mix, and no added extra lead on a weightbelt needed at all). I carry a tightly folded Halcyon Life-Raft attached to the bottom of my BP, for use as redundant buoyancy and for auxiliary survival surface flotation.
I would freeze to death in a skin, even with the 93 degree temps our pool sometimes gets to in the summer, when I spend more than an hour helping or taking a class. For long or repetitive diving, I end up wearing a 5 ml and hood, even with temps over 80 degrees, and less than 80 I've gone to a drysuit for the most part.
I would like to know what type of undergarment TSandM wears in tropical climates? I really like RJPs idea of the 30/30. I have a Diving Concepts and its a bit heavy,so I do avoid wearing it when topside temps are over 100 degrees, although I would push those limits if I needed to. I would consider getting a 30/30 if I felt that I would be using it often enough and the material is light and breathable. Right now, we just aren't diving tropical that often but looks like we might, fingers crossed, be moving to southern North Carolina, so things may change.
Personally, I have far more problem getting cold than hot so I'm of the drysuit if diving tech, for the redundant buoyancy plan, although I'm just getting ready to take my first tech classes.

When I see GUE folks immersing themselves in the dive center wash-tubs to keep cool in their 'tropical' drysuits, I find it hard to rationalize the appropriateness of that option (at least, here in the Philippines).

I have no objection to redundant bladder BCDs, but there are few lightweight/minimalist options on the market, especially with sidemount. Many that I know use an MSR bladder for that purpose.

DSMB is inappropriate IMHO. It differs from a lift-bag because it cannot be easily controlled in neutral buoyancy on ascent (dump valve at the base, as opposed to a 'proper' lift bag where it is at the top). You can deploy a DSMB and climb 'hand-over-hand' up the line though - using a double-ender to 'lock off' at stop depths - giving you something to hold on to.

The concept of 'balanced rig' goes a long way, but needs to be personally confirmed by the diver who intends to use it. That means physically verifying that you can swim the rig up AND hold all necessary stops, wearing ALL necessary kit. I think this works quite well with sidemount, but it depends on the parameters of the specific dives you are doing. You have great flexibility to ditch equipment, including cylinders, that may hamper ascent. Obviously, in the tropics (wetsuit diving) it requires aluminum cylinders to be used.

A balanced rig utilized best in conjunction with a supportive option - such as lift-bag or 'climbing' up a DSMB or shot-line. Last recourse is, of course, your buddy providing buoyancy. Reliance on the buddy as your contingency does, however, deny true self-sufficiency.

Surface flotation isn't such an issue with warm-water sidemount. Firstly, you can ditch tanks easily. Second, you can turn a DSMB into a flotation-tube easily enough.

PADI require redundant buoyancy for tech-level courses (beyond Tec40) and only accept dual-bladder wings or drysuits. That causes no end of problems whenever anyone shows up for courses with a single-bladder wing or sidemount (and these are the most popular sold).

I've been working to develop a 'deploy-able' redundant device - an MSR that can be rolled small into a pocket, clipped onto the diver (shoulder D-rings) when needed; and then orally-inflated for lift and with an OPV/pull-dump for control. Much testing remains, before I'll publish the idea.

When I see GUE folks immersing themselves in the dive center wash-tubs to keep cool in their 'tropical' drysuits, I find it hard to rationalize the appropriateness of that option (at least, here in the Philippines).

Do you know if those folks were actually wearing purpose-made tropical suits, such as the DUI 30/30 or the Whites? I've seen people wear a regular tri-lam with light undergarments thinking "this is now tropical" and there's just no comparison.

Do you know if those folks were actually wearing purpose-made tropical suits, such as the DUI 30/30 or the Whites?

All in custom-fitted, cave-cut, SANTI 'E.Lite' suits, I believe...

Tropical or not, wrap yourself in a sealed suit in the tropics and you're on a count-down towards dehydration and heat stroke. I think I read something, somewhere about dehydration and diving....

Next time, I'll take a covert photo of them sat in the wash tubs... because it's funny. :wink:

I did have a tech student earlier this year who wanted to wear a drysuit. It wasn't for redundant buoyancy, it was because he sometimes also dove in cooler water - and he wanted to have some familiarity with the drysuit from his training. He was literally wringing out his under-garments after each dive (water temp ~30c). That was from sweating on the dive. He didn't - couldn't - wear the suit at the surface. Despite drinking many litres of H2O prior to each dive, he was struggling to hydrate and was getting frazzled with the heat.

IMHO, routine use of drysuits in the tropics is just symptomatic of an inflexible adherence to an organizational dogma at the expense of common-sense. Yes, there are tropical dives where sufficient depth and duration warrant such exposure protection - but that is an appropriate choice of exposure protection... not the improper choice of exposure protect to solve an unrelated buoyancy dilemma.

All in custom-fitted, cave-cut, SANTI 'E.Lite' suits, I believe...

Tropical or not, wrap yourself in a sealed suit in the tropics and you're on a count-down towards dehydration and heat stroke. I think I read something, somewhere about dehydration and diving....

Next time, I'll take a covert photo of them sat in the wash tubs... because it's funny. :wink:

The DUI 30/30 is not a SEAL drysuit it will breath. I do sweath but I'm still warm and cozy in warm water with a 30/30.

The impossibility, while doing technical dives, of always having a neutral rig or of having discardable weights makes it more complicated to plan for loss of BCD function than in recreational dives. This is often solved by using a drysuit. This solution, however, presents a problem in places with hot air temperatures. So, for hot air temperatures, warm water technical diving, I've seen four main approaches advocated:

1 - wear a drysuit anyway. This is probably the most straightforward solution. It has the advantage of offering a good deal of buoyancy control with little more effort required from the diver. The downside is a pretty miserable experience while out of the water, especially if no shades are available while doing the setup. It also offers the risk of loss of buoyancy at the surface by having air escape through the neck seal.

2 - use a wetsuit and lift bag. The upside is that a lift bag can offer plenty of buoyancy, surely more than a drysuit. However, it is harder to control precisely and requires constant use of hands to operate, making the use of other tools, such as jon lines, more difficult and adding to the task load. It can also interfere with communication with team members, being right in front of the diver. Moreover, it is argued that divers don't regularly practice making their ascents with lift bags, rendering its successful operation in an emergency less likely.

3 - use a wetsuit and a double bladder wing. It offers redundancy and does not require a change in method of buoyancy control in case of emergency - before the failure the diver adds air by pressing a button on a hose, which can also vent air. After the failure, the operation remains the same, although through a different hose. The downside is that a double bladder wing has more mechanical failure points and is more prone to operator error.

4 - no redundancy, just a wetsuit and a single bladder wing. The reasoning here is that a failure can be coped with. The most likely point of failure for a wing would be the inflator hose, especially where it attaches to the wing. As the wing shouldn't need to be completely inflated in the first place, sufficient buoyancy can be attained simply by adopting a butt up, left shoulder down posture. The downside of this approach is the increased risk of loss of buoyancy during the dive, reduced mobility and difficulty of maintaining buoyancy at the surface. A failure in the butt dump valve would be dealt with in a similar fashion.

That is just a small summary, covering, I hope, the main points of each method. Once again, I am talking about diving in a place that is very warm both above and bellow the water (you can think of Bonaire for reference).

What are your thoughts on the matter, and what is your preferred approach? Any comments are appreciated.
I have done many hundreds of dives to 220 to 280 in South Florida, in wetsuits, and at no time was ever negative to the point that I would have had any problem in swimming to the surface in the event of a wing failure.
What is so hard with a balanced rig? As long as the doubles are double 80's, this is easy.

What is so hard with a balanced rig? As long as the doubles are double 80's, this is easy.

Dan, GUE seem to have done away with 'balanced rig' as the sole method of ensuring ascent given wing failure. Am I right? I seem to be seeing 'global' use of drysuits to address an issue that was previously covered entirely by balanced rig philosophy...

I absolutely agree with you... AL80s, with AL decos, is easy. Even more so with the flexibility of sidemount. So why the change?

I have done many hundreds of dives to 220 to 280 in South Florida, in wetsuits, and at no time was ever negative to the point that I would have had any problem in swimming to the surface in the event of a wing failure.

If you have double al80s back gas and two al40s deco tanks, you should be from 9lb to 15lb negative at the start of the dive. I guess you can swim it up, especially if you consider that the rig would be lighter when you start getting into deco. Still, I don't think it is unreasonable to plan to not have to swim it up.

Can I take it that you adopt the wetsuit, single bladder wing, no lift bag approach? I am not criticizing you, by the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom