Red Sea Currents and dive difficulty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks.

I've done Aggressor in Galapagos and in the Caribbean. For some reason, their prices in the Red Sea and Maldives are much higher than the competition. I am considering Blue O Two for Red Sea.

Considering the other locations where you have dived I would say the Red sea won't be a challenge for you. Some sites such as Daedalus, Brothers, elphinstone are in very deep water and can have strong currents.

The sea can rock and roll I can't compare it to raja but compared to komodo the red sea has way more rock and roll.

Blue o Two are good i've dived with them in the read sea 6 times and never had issues, the guides are good too.

Considering the other locations where you have dived I would say the Red sea won't be a challenge for you. Some sites such as Daedalus, Brothers, elphinstone are in very deep water and can have strong currents.

The sea can rock and roll I can't compare it to raja but compared to komodo the red sea has way more rock and roll.

Blue o Two are good i've dived with them in the read sea 6 times and never had issues, the guides are good too.

Thanks. Not concerned about myself. My wife is less experienced with 150 easy tropical dives. She did not do Galapagos or Raja Ampat with me. I listed those destinations for reference so I could compare. Most difficult for her was 1 day we had nasty currents in the Maldives.

We started on a hook dive watching sharks. It started to get a little boring so the DM had the group unhook and head off to another site. Crazy roller coaster currents pushing in all directions. Had to really watch your bubbles and kick strong against the up and down currents. We never made it to another site. It was enough work to keep the group together fighting the current until we found a place to hook for our safety stop. It was kind of an adrenaline rush if you are into that kind of thing. She was fine, but did not enjoy the dive. It was the only bad the dive of the trip.

Galapagos would be too tough for her at this point in her experience. Raja had a few dives where divers were blown off the reef and the group got split up. Thank goodness the guy on the RIB had good eyes. She is not ready for that either.

Last edited:
Thanks. Not concerned about myself. My wife is less experienced with 150 easy tropical dives. She did not do Galapagos or Raja Ampat with me. I listed those destinations for reference so I could compare. Most difficult for her was 1 day we had nasty currents in the Maldives.

We started on a hook dive watching sharks. It started to get a little boring so the DM had the group unhook and head off to another site. Crazy roller coaster currents pushing in all directions. Had to really watch your bubbles and kick strong against the up and down currents. We never made it to another site. It was enough work to keep the group together fighting the current until we found a place to hook for our safety stop. It was kind of an adrenaline rush if you are into that kind of thing. She was fine, but did not enjoy the dive. It was the only bad the dive of the trip.

Galapagos would be too tough for her at this point in her experience. Raja had a few dives where divers were blown off the reef and the group got split up. Thank goodness the guy on the RIB had good eyes. She is not ready for that either.

if she has 150 dives then I wouldn't expect her to have any issues.

I'll say, as Rusty, that it will be ok for her.

Consider rather a south or far south itinerary, the golden triangle is a little bit more tough and there is more navigation.
Thanks.

Is it a matter of the unpredictable nature of the sea and being more exposed on sites further off the main land ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom