Current at Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doris M

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be on a liveaboard the first week of Feb, doing (I think) the north/central route. I've pulled this trip together very quickly and normally do months of research. I've wanted to dive at Raja Ampat for a while. I read a trip report recently where someone commented vigourously on the heavy current. Can anyone comment on the current. I'm hoping for less rather than more...

Welcome to SB @Doris M.
Raja Ampat has a bit of everything. From very strong to very mild currents depending on the time, moon phase, site etc.
Keep in mind that usually more current means more fish as current brings plankton which is food for small fish which is food for bigger fish and so it goes. So, usually some current is good. The point where "some" becomes "too much" is a personal preference.
LoB dive guides try hard to make their customers happy. Hence if most fellow divers/customers want (and can cope with) currents, they will try to prioritize currenty (but safe) sites. If most divers/customers prefer quiet dives the guides will try to get that. If/when possible they try to split divers in groups based on their experience and preferences to accommodate their needs.
In any way talk with your guide(s) and hope for the best. Guides know that happy customers tip better and bring more happy customers, hence they usually try hard to keep everybody happy.
You will have a great time...

Reactions: Dan
Thank you - that's a good point. It's a small boat and I'm sure the guides will be responsive. At least the water will be warm. In the Galapagos Islands the currents were fierce and the water was icy. I'm getting too old...

Depends on the tides (time of day you do the dive), moon cycle (more current at full moon and new moon) and of course dive plan by the op.

When I dove on live aboard we rarely experienced more than moderate current.

When I dove land based with a local, we did a few dives where the current really ripped, and I should have had a reef hook (but didn't).

When I was there in Dec. 2022, currents were an issue for me not because they were exceptionally bad, but because aside from the occasional drift dive, I'm not good with current.

Raja Ampat offers a range of things, inlacing a lot more macro than I've seen anywhere in the Caribbean. In Indonesia trip reports mention Lembeh as the place for macro, and in the Philippines I believe Anilao gets attention, but R.A. has quite a bit, and a lot of divers are interested in macro. And not just the pigmy seahorses (which are neat).

So what may happen is, you've got a guide with a few divers (4 or what-have-you), moving along a stretch of reef finning into fairly mild current but you can move against it with some effort for part of the dive. Annoying but not a huge deal, right?

Weeeellll, thing is, that guide wants to find some macro stuff to show the paying (and hopefully tipping) customers, so he's moving kinda slow, shining his little flashlight here and yon, etc...

If you're anything like me, fat, not in particularly good shape and middle-aged, with a large cross sectional area for current to push against, that gets old.

And then he finds yet another tiny something-or-other my old eyes may not may not discriminate well. So now he gestures to somebody to come see it, and dutifully the divers come by single file, some snap photos, etc..., while you're trying to hold position after you go through.

I don't see any real way around this issue, given the practical demands of the situation. It is what it is, and you have to deal with it.

This is a much different example of problematic current vs. the recent threads discussing a diver's death from a down current in Raja Ampat.

That said, out of 31 dives on my 1 trip, I never got caught in what I considered a dangerous or markedly strong current. Dives weren't generally spent entirely in current. And if you're lean, fit and good with current you might go and wonder what in the world I was complaining about.

Even if you have problems like I did, I think you'll love Raja Ampat and be glad you went. It's got a rep. as some of the best coral reef diving on Earth, so if you love diving, going to experience it first hand at least once in your life is something special.

Thanks for your honesty. I'm looking forward to going but am taking your comments seriously. In the Galapagos and in the Red Sea, guides did not take care of us. We were with a buddy or sometimes left solo! I've been diving in Indonesia and always felt the guides were on their game.

Majority of the guides are pretty attentive to timid divers.
Let them know about your concern first.
If you do not have a regular buddy then your new buddy could be your unwanted concern.
Do not overthinking the issue. Bring necessary safety equipment.
Have a nice trip.

Thanks for your honesty. I'm looking forward to going but am taking your comments seriously. In the Galapagos and in the Red Sea, guides did not take care of us. We were with a buddy or sometimes left solo! I've been diving in Indonesia and always felt the guides were on their game.
that's where scouting these types of boards and reading between the lines and finding reputable dive operators comes handy. Saving a buck is great but safety and training comes at a price even in the scuba industry. Been in Raja last Christmas the currents depending on the dive site are quite fierce at times and probably the only place that made me think afterwards that i need a reef hook.. Dive planning comes in handy always make sure you ask questions and express any concerns and they should listen, changing dive site if its not optimal conditions isn't hard in a place where you can jump in almost anywhere and be amazed. Take a measuring tape with you and tell me whats the biggest giant clam you see

ACg8ocKDGRWVlS7PSqFY0Z__prlOjrtINVQB6o79jrmu3Otr=s80-p-mo

Doris Muckenheim <muckenheim.d@gmail.com>​

3:51 PM (4 hours ago)
to ScubaBoard

Thanks for your thoughts. I normally put a lot of time in planning and researching trips. This was an exception. I have a reef hook and it will be a small group. Hopefully we can avoid the worst currents. I never thought about carrying a measuring tape. I'll do my best for you. What's your record so far?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom