Trip Report Raja Ampat in December 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was in Raja Ampat in December 2022 on Mermaid 2 liveaboard. I saw no manta in the famous Magic Mountain. We saw one in unexpected place, in Black Rock, Kawe, North Raja Ampat.

Here’s the trip video:

The trip was not as good as the one I went on Amira before Covid, in January 2020, as you see, below:

I’ll be back to Raja Ampat next week on Blue Manta. I hope it’ll be as good as the diving in January 2020 (fingers crossed).

Here’s a BugDreamer’s version of the same trip filmed by Marcelo Johan Ogata, the photographer of Mermaid Liveaboard, showing some of the drone view of Raja Ampat after Covid.

He had a footage of me shooting schooling of yellow & blue fusiliers and I had a footage of him getting ready to enter the water at 00:25-00:28 period of my video.

I was there in Dec 2022 on Mermaid, which I booked a couple of days before we were to board the Indo Siren, where it was cancelled due to engine problem. It was the first sailing for Raja Ampat since covid restriction was lifted.

We did not see alot of things, even sending the drones to spot the mantas were not successful. We did still see some mantas though. I was told by our guide that lots of things must have moved, including the mantas. There use to be pygmy seahorse everywhere, but we might have only seen maybe 10. They probably have to re-find them and now they are able to take diver to where the critters are. I thought the first dive after a few years without people, the sea life would have been pristine.

Back
Top Bottom