Red Sea Currents and dive difficulty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Been researching a trip to the Red Sea and curious how the currents and dive difficulty compare to Raja Ampat, Maldives, Galapagos.

Depending on the sites, may be the same nice currents....
Dive difficulty is usually adapted by the captain/guide, following the general level of divers. They don't want any problem, like everywhere else.
Avoid the golden triangle (Brothers - Daedalus - Elphinstone) if not used to currents and sometimes rough sea.

Depending on the sites, may be the same nice currents....
Dive difficulty is usually adapted by the captain/guide, following the general level of divers. They don't want any problem, like everywhere else.
Avoid the golden triangle (Brothers - Daedalus - Elphinstone) if not used to currents and sometimes rough sea.
Currents, rough seas, difficult diving is all relative.

I found diving easiest to hardest, Maldives, Raja Ampat, Galapagos.

Curious, where the tough Red Sea sites fit ?

Like everywhe else, depending on the sea...

I've seen the red sea like a lake... and I've seen it with 3 meters waves.

I've seen places where we were waiting for a strong current... and obliged to come back finning more than 1 km back to the boat.

I've seen a known and very quiet place where boats go for the night on Gubal.... where we had to rescue the guide of another boat drifted away by a very strong current.

You never know, the sea is always the master.

I spent 2 weeks in the Red Sea Apr-May 2016, I just spent a week at Cocos Island. I found the Red Sea considerably easier than Cocos. Of course this is based on limited exposure to both. Current and surge were both greater at Cocos. Sea conditions were pretty mild at both sites when I visited.

I spent 2 weeks in the Red Sea Apr-May 2016, I just spent a week at Cocos Island. I found the Red Sea considerably easier than Cocos. Of course this is based on limited exposure to both. Current and surge were both greater at Cocos. Sea conditions were pretty mild at both sites when I visited.
Thanks, who did yo dive with ? Which sites ?

Thanks.

I've done Aggressor in Galapagos and in the Caribbean. For some reason, their prices in the Red Sea and Maldives are much higher than the competition. I am considering Blue O Two for Red Sea.

Thanks.

I've done Aggressor in Galapagos and in the Caribbean. For some reason, their prices in the Red Sea and Maldives are much higher than the competition. I am considering Blue O Two for Red Sea.

I got a very significant discount on the RSA for my two weeks, putting it in the ballpark of the other liveaboards. I saw many of the other boats, including Blue O Two's during my trip, all looked just fine. I did some land-based dives with Emperor Divers while in Port Ghalib, their operation was good, their liveaboards looked nice too. Prices in the Red Sea are very low now, dive tourism is way down. On the second visit to Daedalus while on the northern route, there were only 3 boats, I hear that before the revolution, there were as many as 15! Good for divers, not so good for Egypt.

Thanks.

I have not dived with Blue o two or RSA, but I have dived with eight other liveaboard companies in the Red Sea . From my experience all the "big names" have very good standards, some local not. Emperor divers and Sea Serpent fleet are my favorites, and now days I only dive with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom