Recreational Pony Bottles, completely unnecessary? Why or why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve never been able to get the pony to come diving with me never mind getting it to take the bottle….

IMO if you plan to use it, it wont be there for the unexpected emergency ….

Direct ascent to the surface. Did you not learn that in open water?
Why do a CESA when I can have a perfectly good alternative. I will do a CESA in warm water from 60ft. but I do not wish to do one from 120 ft. in cold water. Yes I often dive to 120ft in cold water on a single 130.

If you were to have a failure, you do not have no gas instantly, Depending on the failure you have a short time to an intermediate time. In general, you have the time to make a relatively controlled ascent to the surface.

Why do a CESA when I can have a perfectly good alternative. I will do a CESA in warm water from 60ft. but I do not wish to do one from 120 ft. in cold water. Yes I often dive to 120ft in cold water on a single 130.

What recreational open water diver is going to 120ft and where in any of my plans do we have that as our max depth?

What recreational open water diver is going to 120ft and where in any of my plans do we have that as our max depth?
Many if they are diving wrecks in the Great Lakes. Even 100ft. a common depth for these wrecks is a push for CESA especially when you discover the failure after you have just exhaled..

Is checking your SPG's and analyzing gas not a part of your dive plan? It is mine.
For the way you are talking “add it to the plan” seems to mean to simply add the quantity of gas to the plan. I think that is what people are hearing.

Obviously a pony is part of the overall plan. It is a contingency in case the expected plan fails. However it is not part of that expected plan.

The mechanism for calculating the required size of a pony is just the same as for regular gas except only one diver has to use it, similar to whether half an isolated twinset will be enough.

Many if they are diving wrecks in the Great Lakes. Even 100ft. a common depth for these wrecks is a push for CESA especially when you discover the failure after you have just exhaled..

I live near and dive the great lakes. What is the standard equipment here? It's double HP100's or LP85's and for more significant dives LP104's /HP130s etc. With that said, this is where we will differ in agency philosophy. I will not dive a single tank on the GL's at all. (I know folks who do however) Also, I will not descend a tank below 100ft in warm water, considering the MG calculation would make my bottom time less fun. I typically dive doubles year-round. However, a 60ft reef drift dive in a single 80? I'll do that all day.

I live near and dive the great lakes. What is the standard equipment here? It's double HP100's or LP85's and for more significant dives LP104's /HP130s etc. With that said, this is where we will differ in agency philosophy. I will not dive a single tank on the GL's at all. (I know folks who do however) Also, I will not descend a tank below 100ft in warm water, considering the MG calculation would make my bottom time less fun. I typically dive doubles year-round. However, a 60ft reef drift dive in a single 80? I'll do that all day.
Those are your choices, others make different choices and for some that includes a pony.

For the way you are talking “add it to the plan” seems to mean to simply add the quantity of gas to the plan. I think that is what people are hearing.

Obviously a pony is part of the overall plan. It is a contingency in case the expected plan fails. However it is not part of that expected plan.

The mechanism for calculating the required size of a pony is just the same as for regular gas except only one diver has to use it, similar to whether half an isolated twinset will be enough.

Fair Ken. I am talking about the entire dive plan. My argument is why? Why add a dead raccoon to your rig when that gas can be calculated in your back gas. I have stated before when this pony might be the right tool for the job, e.g., scientific, commercial, task-loaded working dives like hunting, etc. However, I would not choose to add it, and I would plan my dive with MG as the end all be all and monitor my SCR on the fly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom