Recreational Pony Bottles, completely unnecessary? Why or why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My vote, unnecessary.

A diver should be able to calculate what’s on their back (or side) and set aside a minimum gas (reserve) for an emergency in their dive plan. The added weight, drag, and configuration would hinder a recreational diver more in an emergency than it would help.

All dive plans and ideas are welcome.

Side-note: I do not dive solo, so there could be a reason for those folks, but I’d like to keep this in the normal rec realm of scuba.
I'm new to forum but primarily in favor of pony bottles on most dives with a buddy, not to extend dive but for emergency use. My one use saved me from DCS at a minimum due to equipment failure.
What I'm looking is a good mounting system for 13 cf tank on XDeep Zen backplate. Not a lot of backplate divers locally so no help here.

I'm new to forum but primarily in favor of pony bottles on most dives with a buddy, not to extend dive but for emergency use. My one use saved me from DCS at a minimum due to equipment failure.
What I'm looking is a good mounting system for 13 cf tank on XDeep Zen backplate. Not a lot of backplate divers locally so no help here.
I always sling my pony but if you want to mount a 13 cu.ft. then something like this may help.

Not sure what 13cf is, guess it's about 1.5 litres. If so, mount it like a suit inflate on the side. You can manipulate the valve and maybe do something with the SPG on a 20cm/9" HP hose and bungee the reg?

I dive in cold water quarries year round and have never carried a pony bottle instead relying upon my training and those I’m buddied with. That said I have had a free flow and it was absolutely manageable.

That said I after 10 years diving without a pony am now considering a 40 cu ft as a backup since I’m crossing over to my LDS as an instructor. My main question is what would be my best carrying option for the pony bottle with my back inflate aqua lung? Not trying to switch to bp/w just yet. Looking for simple way to either sling or attach to my tank. I have an axiom back inflate as well as an Axiom Jacket style BC.

Thanks any advice would be appreciated!

Would a tank-mounted 3 litre cylinder be more effective? If a long SPG is used, you can monitor the gas levels, same with mounting the short regulator hose with a bungee under your chin (the PONY is for you only)

...am now considering a 40 cu ft as a backup since I’m crossing over to my LDS as an instructor. My main question is what would be my best carrying option for the pony bottle with my back inflate aqua lung?
I think it's time to take a page from the sidemount guys. For my average JJ-CCR dive, a 40cf is the standard bailout bottle. For all intents and purposes, "a pony."
When I was learning, seeing all the guys with their slung 40's either dangling or protruding at all angles really bugged me. Yeah, you can say it was just improper technique, but the point is, a plain slung bottle is much less tethered than a properly rigged sidemount bottle.
After I stuck a bungee and a sliding D-ring on my backplate, things got MUCH better. My "pony" now rides tucked under my armpit, completely horizontal and doesn't clang about as I maneuver.

I think it's time to take a page from the sidemount guys. For my average JJ-CCR dive, a 40cf is the standard bailout bottle. For all intents and purposes, "a pony."
When I was learning, seeing all the guys with their slung 40's either dangling or protruding at all angles really bugged me. Yeah, you can say it was just improper technique, but the point is, a plain slung bottle is much less tethered than a properly rigged sidemount bottle.
After I stuck a bungee and a sliding D-ring on my backplate, things got MUCH better. My "pony" now rides tucked under my armpit, completely horizontal and doesn't clang about as I maneuver.

Vive la sidemounted bailout! Look at that undercarriage! On a Revo of course.

The bungee's got a convenient handle on it to make hooking and unhooking the stage far more simple in drygloves.

Sidemounted bailout 3.jpg

I think it's time to take a page from the sidemount guys. For my average JJ-CCR dive, a 40cf is the standard bailout bottle. For all intents and purposes, "a pony." When I was learning, seeing all the guys with their slung 40's either dangling or protruding at all angles really bugged me. Yeah, you can say it was just improper technique, but the point is, a plain slung bottle is much less tethered than a properly rigged sidemount bottle. After I stuck a bungee and a sliding D-ring on my backplate, things got MUCH better. My "pony" now rides tucked under my armpit, completely horizontal and doesn't clang about as I maneuver.
I think it's time to take a page from the sidemount guys. For my average JJ-CCR dive, a 40cf is the standard bailout bottle. For all intents and purposes, "a pony." When I was learning, seeing all the guys with their slung 40's either dangling or protruding at all angles really bugged me. Yeah, you can say it was just improper technique, but the point is, a plain slung bottle is much less tethered than a properly rigged sidemount bottle. After I stuck a bungee and a sliding D-ring on my backplate, things got MUCH better. My "pony" now rides tucked under my armpit, completely horizontal and doesn't clang about as I maneuver.

Back
Top Bottom