Recreational Dive computer / Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for that great info, could it keep me out of the water on a liveaboard then for sure ?
Not necessarily, it depends on your gas supply and your gas consumption, as well as your NDL. Do you happen to know your gas consumption, RMV? As your gas consumption improves, NDL becomes relatively more important in limiting no stop dives.

I can't make much sense of that, can someone who is familiar with all that help me out, is there a big difference ?

I'm pretty goog on air, especially after a few dives, I have 300+ so am pretty efficient.
Thanks for your help, if it's only a slight difference it is no bother but if it is know for being concervative or too conservative then I would have an issue with that.

Thanks for that great info, could it keep me out of the water on a liveaboard then for sure ?

It could, and most likely would, have you getting out of the water earlier than if you were using a computer running the DSAT algorithm.

How much earlier? It would be best to look at the report that @scubadada linked to, to see that. The test in that report simulated 4 "real world" dives (i.e. 4 dives with profiles that you might actually dive from a liveaboard, for example). All the computers in the test gave pretty similar NDLs for the 1st dive. It's the later dives where the difference in NDL starts to get big. In other words, if you go on a liveaboard and dive 3 or more dives per day (and you are good on air), a computer like the Puck or Puck Pro will probably become a noticeably limiting factor for you, compared to anyone else on the boat that is diving DSAT.

Thanks for being so helpful, so my next question is, can you reccommend a DSAT entry computer ?

A popular choice (here on SB, anyway) for a DSAT computer is the Oceanic Geo 2.0. I have an Oceanic Atom 3.0, which is almost the same except for the Atom has wireless air integration and it has been a great computer for me.

The Aeris A300 is also pretty inexpensive and has DSAT. It is discontinued, but you can still usually find them out there if you look. And, I think the Sherwood Wisdom and Sherwood Amphos MAY be DSAT.

All those computers listed are double if not tripple the price of a puck in the UK

Thanks for being so helpful, so my next question is, can you reccommend a DSAT entry computer ?
Hi @scubajunky17

Depends on if you want a puck or a watch. All computers running DSAT are manufactured by the OEM Pelagic Pressure Systems, now owned by Aqua Lung (though Aqua Lung computers run just PZ+)

The Aeris A300 is a discontinued brand version of the discontinued Oceanic Veo3. If available under warranty, either of these puck computers would be fine. For a watch, the Oceanic Geo2 or Sherwood Amphos would be the best bet, same computer. I dived a Geo2 as backup for 6 years, it has been perfect.

Send me a personal message it I have totally confused you.

It's cool mate, I kind of get it, like I say, I checked out the prices in the UK of everything you mentioned and they are all double or tripple the puck price which puts me off a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom