Recreational Dive computer / Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS. I'd say DG03 is a better computer than A300 for the same money. Still more expensive than the puck but you can add air transmitter later.

I reckon it depends on your priorities. The DG03 only has the PZ+ algorithm. The A300 has the PZ+ algorithm, plus the more liberal DSAT algorithm.

If your priority is more bottom time, the A300 is a better computer. Even if you have to buy or arrange for tanks that are bigger than an AL80 (not difficult, in my limited experience) in order to take advantage of it.

- nice to have: dual algorithms so you can match your buddy's NDL's

I don't see dual algorithms or matching my buddy's NDL as particularly valuable. I just want one algorithm and for that algorithm to be safe and be as liberal or more liberal than my buddy's. As long as my NDL is the same as or longer than his/hers, I can match his/hers by simply ascending when his/her NDL gets to whatever point makes him/her decide to begin his/her ascent.

The DSAT algorithm has been that algorithm, for me, so I would no desire whatsoever to have PZ+ in my computer. My Atom computer does have PZ+, but I have never used it.

I dived a few times with someone who was using a Cressi Giotto when I was using my Atom. We ended every dive when her NDL got down to around 1 minute to go. I still had more NDL left - and a lot more gas left (and I don't have an especially good SAC rate) - but that was fine. I "matched" her computer by ascending when she was ready.

Thanks for everyones help so far, what is the Aladin Uwatec computer like ?few of them on ebay.
Are they any good ?

Thanks for everyones help so far, what is the Aladin Uwatec computer like ?few of them on ebay.
Are they any good ?
It is very good and reliable. I bought mine(Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox) in 1997 and is still working fine except the display is getting dimmer over last few yrs. I am expecting the worst!!!!
Changing battery is NOT that straightforward! Most of them were filled with oil and SP is charging two arms and two legs for the bother ie in excess of US$100.00 in HK!. However, you can DIY at fraction of the cost and it is not that difficult and messy. Respective procedures(video), there are several models, are available on you tube and there are numerous info on SB as well. If you want to buy one then make sure it is working properly. Anyone that couldn't be started or display Err/spanner on the screen is to be avoided! Of course most of them can be "rejuvenated" by stalling new battery but some won't! You take your chance.
Deep Six computer? Not sure when it will ever make its maiden appearance, has been waiting for many months!!
I won't pay more than $200.00 for a rec computer. If you can find A300 for $200.00 then go for it. If my Aladin dies before the appearance of Deep Six then Mares Puck Pro is probably the one I choose. As for DG03 both my buddies had either got rid of it quickly or relegated as back up.
BTW, I have no problem to use my one button back up Oceanic Veo 180. It can be annoying occasionally but no big deal.

I reckon it depends on your priorities. The DG03 only has the PZ+ algorithm. The A300 has the PZ+ algorithm, plus the more liberal DSAT algorithm.

If your priority is more bottom time, the A300 is a better computer. Even if you have to buy or arrange for tanks that are bigger than an AL80 (not difficult, in my limited experience) in order to take advantage of it.

I don't know how PZ+ compares with Puck's "RGBM" but DG03 can read Pelagic tank transmitters. IMO that has always been DG03's main selling point: no other computer in that price range has wireless air integration.

I think I'm going to opt for the puck pro, the a300 is £50 - £80 more. I will only use it a couple of weeks a year, three at the most so I'm sure it will do. Is it to consrevative though I heard there are thre settings. I don't want a conservative computer keeping me out of the water !

I think I'm going to opt for the puck pro, the a300 is £50 - £80 more. I will only use it a couple of weeks a year, three at the most so I'm sure it will do. Is it to consrevative though I heard there are thre settings. I don't want a conservative computer keeping me out of the water !
There are multidive comparisons including DSAT, PZ+, and Mares RGBM in the 2014 ScubaLab hyperbaric unit simulations
http://ads.bonniercorp.com/scuba/PDF/ScubaLab-Computer-Test-September-2014-data.pdf Mares RGBM is a bit more conservative than PZ+ and considerably more conservative than DSAT

Thanks for that great info, could it keep me out of the water on a liveaboard then for sure ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom