Recommendations for tall/skinny divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I've been looking to buy a wetsuit for awhile now, but I'm having difficulty finding a) someplace local that sells them and b) one that actually fits! So I'm looking for some recommendations on brands. I'm about 6'2", 160lbs, skinny build, *very* prone to getting cold. So if anybody has any recommendations on brands that would be suitable for tall, skinny males, then I'd appreciate your help.

Most of my diving is done in relatively warm water (70+), but as I said I get cold easily (partly because any suits I rent have a constant flush of water, since they rarely fit properly - if the length is right, then the chest/neck is loose and water flows right through), so 3mm is an absolute bare minimum!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I had this conversation with a local shop before, and was told they had a customer who was around 6'1, 140lb. The answer was really to go custom, and what they did for him was to get a small wetsuit and replace the legs with the longer XL size.

I hate getting cold. Even in Hawaii (~75F) I always try to get a 5mm full suit.

I'm almost exactly the same size as you (1" shorter), and I've found Bare wetsuits to be the best for me. They have a Medium-Tall size that fits me perfectly. I use their 5/4mm (5mm in the core, 4mm on extremities) in warm water and like it a whole lot. I've used it down to 75 degrees without getting cold.

You may want to consider the Medium-Large-Tall size as well, if I put on a few more pounds I'd need it.

See it here: BARE Canada / USA Currency Selection

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 6'6" and 190 lbs. The worst part is the gap between the leg and the boot. I've found that wearing a skin underneath really helps, even if it is too small. The skins also tend to stretch a little more.

Any suggestions on a high boot? COnnecting the boot and the suit would go a long way.

I'm your height and only slightly heavier, and, believe it or not, I found the size XL Henderson NeoSport, the extreme cheapo one, fits me perfectly.

I know how you feel. I'm also 6'6", 195lbs, and I had real difficulties finding equipment that worked with my build (what else is new, I've been having that problem my whole life!) However, I found a steal of a deal at sierratradingpost.com on a 7mm semi-dry suit from Camaro (very well respected European suit maker). I was a little leery buying an "off the rack" suit for my "looks like a rack" body, but the price was right (search the internet, you can find 20% off-your-order coupons easily). It fit like a custom built suit! Now, since I dive in Canada, most of my dips are in cold water, but you should be able to find a thinner equivalent. Go to their site, search "Camaro" and see what comes up. Their prices are unbeatable. Here is a link to the amazing semi-dry I have, it doesn't let any water in and really reduces flow to a minimum:

Camaro 06 Stingray Diving Suit - Semi-Dry (For Men) - Save 48%

Just a suggestion......

As a compromise between full custom and off-the-rack, you could buy a stock suit erring on the side of somewhat too large (in all dimensions), and then hit up a tailor who works with neoprene. I've had two buddies go that route with excellent results.

One additional idea: If you've got money to burn, and you *really* want to stay warm, you could go with a tropical-weight drysuit. If you're having trouble finding local dealers, you can just send in your measurements and get back a suit built just for you. I know it sounds ridiculous, but folks (albeit a minority of folks) actually do it even in temperate waters. And we're just brainstorming, right?

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies so far. I've been looking at the Bare suits and they seem pretty decent. As I said, I'm pretty susceptible to the cold, so I'm thinking about getting a 7mm suit (for use in 75+ water). I'm assuming it won't be a case of being uncomfortably warm (at least not when in the water).

Thanks again for the advice.

I'm almost exactly the same size as you (1" shorter), and I've found Bare wetsuits to be the best for me. They have a Medium-Tall size that fits me perfectly. I use their 5/4mm (5mm in the core, 4mm on extremities) in warm water and like it a whole lot. I've used it down to 75 degrees without getting cold.

You may want to consider the Medium-Large-Tall size as well, if I put on a few more pounds I'd need it.

See it here: BARE Canada / USA Currency Selection

I'm just under 6'1" and 165 lbs. I use the same suit but I just got a Medium. Might be a little short on the arms and legs (~1/2 ") but no issues.

Try Pinnacle Seal 3mm (merino wool lined, very warm) in "medium tall" size. This is the best wet suit that I have owned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom