South Australia Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All,

I'm a cold water diver living in the US Pacific Northwest. Every year I try to get out diving someplace different, preferably remote (for me) and not overly touristy.

Southern Australia (east and west), and perhaps Tasmania are near the top of my list for next year. The trip is still in the dreaming and ideas stage, but may soon cross over into planning and airline tickets.

Where would you recommend going? So far I'm considering Adelaide, Port Lincoln, maybe Hobart or Busselton Jetty. Any other places you'd recommend?

Cheers!

We had a great time diving Rapid Bay and Edithburgh jetties. Kangaroo Island wasn't so great and we skipped Tasmania because the small boats didn't have a head. Merry didn't want to be in a small boat for five to seven hours in a drysuit.

Reactions: g2
Here are a few.

This is only 18M, I liked this dive as well.
I don't go out of my way to dive " shipwrecks sunk as artificial reefs" but I liked the vis and the sea life.

If you mean southern Australia, as opposed to just the state “South Australia” Melbourne has some fantastic diving, huge variety. There’s simple pier options that have great macro (particularly at night) as well as some big stuff, and boat dives where you have reef and wrecks.

We did a road trip in January in pursuit of Leafy Sea Dragons. The weather was against us at at Edithburgh jetty, only one dive in with no LSD, but got two dives in at Rapid Bay Jetty with LSD both dives, I can recommend SeaDragon Lodge, for a good guide and accommodation.

I you are looking at being in Oz in May to August you can see cuttlefish at Whyalla Giant Cuttlefish, I have not done the trip but friends have said is is awesome.

Please be aware of distances down here, Adelaide to Busselton is 2800 km by road.

g2:
Where would you recommend going? So far I'm considering Adelaide, Port Lincoln, maybe Hobart or Busselton Jetty. Any other places you'd recommend?

HI g2,
I live in South Australia (SA) and have the following comments about diving in SA.

Firstly, I have looked at the 'About' tab on your 'members' profile to find out who you are and what you are interested in.

When do you propose to visit Australia? This is important because diving is in SA waters (particularly Spencer Gulf, Gulf St Vincent, and Investigator Strait) that is greatly affected by the seasonal wind direction. For example, Maxbottomtime mentioned both the jetties at Rapid Bay and Edithburgh. Rapid Bay can be blown out in the winter months by regular onshore north westery winds. Similarly, Edithburgh can be blown out during the summer months by eastery winds.

Whyalla - a number of sites near this regional city host an annual aggregation of cuttlefish This runs from from mid-May to early August with cuttlefish numbers peaking from late May to early July. There is information online re this event.

Kangaroo Island - there are some great places to dive but it is very weather-affected and there are no services for divers apart from the cylinder filling station at the hardware store in the principal town of Kingscote. Also, it is an expensive and complicated exercise to dive there (i.e. ferry fares, accommodation & lots of driving etc as well as bringing a boat and a compressor from the mainland) - I once calculated that it was cheaper to fly to Bali and go diving there for a week.

Port Lincoln - I would not recommend diving there because there is no infrastructure for recreational diving. There are dive stores, but they mainly service divers working in the aquaculture industry. Also, I have heard that the local population is not interested in diving due to the increased presence of white sharks attracted to fish farms located both in the harbour and the nearby waters in the southern end of Spencer Gulf. The only exception is that it is the departure point for charter vessels carrying out white shark cage diving at the Neptune Islands about 70 km south of Port Lincoln. There is information online re the cage diving experience.

The South East of South Australia has an area of karst topography which includes a number of water-filled caves and sinkholes. if you don't have a recognised cave certificate, you can dive in Ewen Ponds and in the non-cavern/cave parts of Kilbys Hole. There is information online re these sites.

@diver257a, thanks for the thoughtful post!

Seems like there's pros and cons to the various seasons. If you were me, trying to pick a time of year to go, what months do you think would offer the best combination of visibility, good conditions, and wildlife?

I once calculated that it was cheaper to fly to Bali and go diving there for a week.
Gah. Okay, unless I hear people raving about it, I'll give that a pass.

Have you dove Tasmania? I've been there before but didn't dive; as I recall, infrastructure and transportation outside of Hobart was rather thin, so I don't know if a dive trip there would be easy to schedule.

The other factor in all of this is that I'll be alone and don't like diving solo, so I'll be looking for guided dives, boat dives, or day trips with local shops.

Cheers!

MA:
If you mean southern Australia, as opposed to just the state “South Australia” Melbourne has some fantastic diving, huge variety. There’s simple pier options that have great macro (particularly at night) as well as some big stuff, and boat dives where you have reef and wrecks.
Thanks, yes, I mean all of southern Australia.

Melbourne is now on the list. :coffee:

Reactions: MA
Please be aware of distances down here, Adelaide to Busselton is 2800 km by road.
Yup. <looks at map> "Oh, I'll just drive from Melbourne to Sydney today, no worries." Yeah, right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom