Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone! I'm thinking about doing my divemaster soon. I'm a little overwhelmed by all the choices and would love some advice.

I learnt to dive in Scotland around 4 years ago and have over 50 dives logged, mostly in a drysuit. I really want to get more diving experience and take my first steps into becoming a professional diver. Im looking to start the course pretty soon in December and have been looking at SE Asia. I've been researching Similan Islands, Koh Lanta, Gili islands, Raja Ampat, Komodo, Bali, Malaysia and the Philippines, but have no idea where to start? I had my first taste of tropical diving a year ago in Costa Rica, and love the idea of trying somewhere warm. I am a true wildlife nerd so want somewhere with amazing marine life, I studied ecology and interested in marine conservation. Any dive centre or location recommendations would be really helpful?

Is there any real difference between the PADI and SSI courses? I trained with BSAC so am unfamiliar with either of them but am hoping it shouldn't be an issue since my qualification is equivalent.

I don't have the biggest budget. I am thinking about trying to get diving related work in Australia afterwards on a working holiday visa and initially thought about training as a divemaster out there but the courses seem to be much more expensive. I also keep seeing free divemaster internships, but I'm not sure if that seems like a good idea or whether I should do a paid course?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! x

I would think the cheapest way to do it would be at home. Maybe those DM internships, but they vary a lot according to what your commitment is during and after the course. Other advice you will probably get here is to take the course where you hope to be working as a DM (you will have an "in" there). There are numerous threads about these internships-- worth a search.

If you are planning to become a DM at a resort, PADI is the way to go. Doing your DM at a popular resort with lots of divers would probably find your training styled to meet that environment.

If you are looking at some sort of internship, that might best be done locally to you because you might spend a year helping with courses. If that is the case, you want to find the best instructors from whom to learn regardless of agency. That way, you emerge from your DM slave days with excellent knowledge and skills and then figure out your next move.

Back
Top Bottom