Recommendations for compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seascaper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Knowledgeable folks,
I'm a coral propagation/restoration ecologist, looking to separate myself from the usual (academic/donor/NGO) controls by supplying my own materials/gear- including compressor. Looking for recommendations base on:
1) >4.5 CFM. Less is a little limiting for larger projects with multiple divers
2) Reasonably light-weight. Must fit across the back of a Toyota Hylux pickup and be lift-able/loadable by two stout souls. (<200Lbs)
3) Gasoline or diesel powered.
4) Mobile (weight and power questions).
5) reasonably low-maintenance.
6) and of course there are cost considerations.....

I've mainly used Bauers in the past, but am looking quietly at the Rix as no-oil seems like it will be less limited in the future (gas mixing) and will be a little more useable from the back of a truck.

Thoughts?
A

Your profession is what interested me enormously here, although I know it will be off topic but I for one would be very interested to learn more - perhaps other members wont mind indulging us here :wink:

Anyway, back to the compressor, from my experience Rix units are usually quite substantially more expensive than conventional units, although I guess it depends where they are purchased I have never seen a comparable output unit which was less costly than a Bauer for instance.

All in all, I would have to say a lot depends on how often and where you intend to run the unit, daily continous use of a small unit on the back of a truck could be considered as a "commercial application" even if it was only half a dozen fills daily, and in my 30 years experience in the dive industry, I would have to say one would need to look really hard to find a more competant machine at the price than Bauer.

The small Bauer Oceanus models should suit you perfectly, especially as a truck may not be 100% level and these units can operate with an inclination of up to 30 degrees I think.

Widget,
Brilliant, thanks. Most of my time's been with the Bower Capitano/Mariners. Brilliant machines, and there are a lot of so-called mechanics on-island, though I prefer to do my own maintenance. They certainly are tough. My friend recently bought the Oceanus and adores it, often running it out of his Hylux. At just shy of US$5G it does seem the best option.
Back of envelope: Crew of 3-4 guys blowing through 2-3 tanks per day 3-4 days per week puts us on 10/day or >30/week. At 4.9CFM the Oceanus makes for a long day fillin' after a long day UW. As the day will tend to be 5+Hrs UW (working 5-20') we're looking into Nitrox-mixes for that 3'd tank as I'm a little too old to be that knackered that much. Plus, at 29C the water's COLD this year :wink: The RIX and the bigger Bowers are similar dollars-per-CFM at about $US8.3G, but RIX (apparently) needs no monster-filter or major re-fit for O2 mixes and is (apparently) an easy home-maintainer. RIX is also 60% of the weight (155 vs 220Lbs)
The Oceanus is the best choice ($5G@95Lbs), though I don't like it (and for no good reason at all). The RIX I like a lot, but really can't justify.... all very annoying :)

My wee business is a funny story: my research is growing Acropora (staghorn) coral in a nursery, and I plant the excess live material on the reef around a local public/members beach club. A local hotelier saw all this mess-o-coral growing like stink around the place and called me up to see if I could do the same for his hotel- and "Seascape Caribbean" was born.
To blow my own horn, check out: Seascape Caribbean
It's a hack-job replete with spelling mistakes so far, but you'll get the picture. Proper, edited version should be up by the end of this week.
Thanks for the feedback,
A

The problem you are going to come up against is your weight to capacity restriction and your low maintenance need. The largest of the small (around 100#) portables, the Bauer Oceanus, only puts out 4.1 CFM. The next size up weight wise is over 200# (Coltri MCH13 gas, 7.6CFM 218#). If you are planning on pumping Nitrox, then that eliminates the Rix (although lots of people do it) ... at least through the warranty period.

Just thought I would toss that into the pot.

Don't even think of the Coltri, Bauer is the only way to go they have been making compressor for ever, and if you ever need parts you can get them any where. I have a Mako with a Bauer block and have never had one problem. And at the same time I know 9 other divers that have Bauer's. Coltri states in their add it take 15-20 min. to fill an al 80. what is it 15 or 20 min. It is more like 25 so you would never have to worry about a hot fill.

Coltri states in their add it take 15-20 min. to fill an al 80. what is it 15 or 20 min. It is more like 25 so you would never have to worry about a hot fill.

You are talking about the small Coltri MCH-6 and need to read the WHOLE ad. The capacity depends on which motor you put on it. It ranges from 2.8 to 3.5 CFM. The Bauer Junior II ranges from 2.5 to 3.6 CFM as well. A completely empty 80 will take approximately 25 minutes to fill... 15 to 20 depending on how much you have in your tank when starting the fill. If you are basing your dislike for the Coltri on capacity, then you have to toss out the Bauer as well.

I have been selling both compressors for quite a few years and, yes, the Bauer is a very nice machine and has been around a long time. But so has Coltri! They have been building compressors since the 60s. As far as parts are concerned, Coltri is a world wide company just like Bauer and in the US, there are 22 different distributors that sell under their own label. They just buy a Coltri machine, upgrade a little for the US market and put their own sticker on it (maxair for instance).

Now, all that said, I would love to be able to sell just the Bauer compressors. However, at least in the US, their distribution system is severely lacking. Most dealers stock more parts and machines than the main distribution hubs. If I need a compressor, even a little Junior in most cases, I have to cut a check and wait for six to eight weeks for it to come from Germany to VA to CA and then to me. I always get the feeling that the distribution hubs consider the dealer network competitors and don't offer much support.

However not all my customers can afford to go with the Bauer so I made Coltri available. When I buy Coltri machines, it takes a week or two in the busy season to get what I need from either the FL or CA distribution hubs where they stock LOTS of compressors and parts. Plus, when they get an inquiry in my area, they call me to handle it. THAT's customer service!

Now, all that said, I would love to be able to sell just the Bauer compressors. However, at least in the US, their distribution system is severely lacking. Most dealers stock more parts and machines than the main distribution hubs. If I need a compressor, even a little Junior in most cases, I have to cut a check and wait for six to eight weeks for it to come from Germany to VA to CA and then to me. I always get the feeling that the distribution hubs consider the dealer network competitors and don't offer much support.

rcontrera, from my experience its pretty much the same all over the world where Bauer is concerned. Here, the distributors carry almost no stock at all,everything is back ordered and imported later, so as you say, we have to cut a cheque and wait for delivery from Germany, 90 days delivery is not unheard of either.

Coltri sells ex stock.

That said, theres nothing wrong with Coltri at all, the bigger Coltris are super machines and the service is great, but I still tend towards Bauer overall, especially when we talk about the small machines.

BiancaC,
This Nuvair looks good too.....
More choices was NOT what I was looking for... :)
So, the consensus is firmly against the RIX then. Fair enough.

Toughness (with good maintenance) is more important to me then quick parts. I can't get parts easily, ever, and I'll still have to pay up to 40% duty on them when they show up, so 5 weeks or 10 weeks is 6 and 1/2 dozen. So long as parts-purchase can be reasonably scheduled (barring catastrophe) that's good. In catastrophe we fly up to Miami with an empty suitcase.

Coltri is common in the older shops on-island. Reputations is poor, but I think that's to be taken with a grain of salt.

A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom