Recommendations for compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is another one I'm looking at right now, Max Air 35 that actually looks exactly like Coltri, may be thats the one I should concetrate on, the price is very similar, allthough that bottom cylinder gives me shivers.

Yes, it is a Coltri MCH-6. There are 22 different distributors of Coltri compressors in the US and everybody slaps their own labels on them with the exception of me.

Don't be afraid of the bottom mounted 4th stage unless you are one of those that never takes care of your stuff. This design makes oil changes mandatory. Any moisture that may collect in the oil sump will settle right on the 4th stage piston and cause rusting in both the piston and the exhaust valve spring. Of course, any wear products will also collect there and cause increased wear.

Change the oil at 25 hours, keep the compressor clean and cool and don't fill any bulk bottles and you will get the best service from your system.

Thanks everybody for your help, just bought a Coltri MCH-6 compressor and I think it was a good choice. Waiting for delivery now.
Regards

Not knowing who you are getting it from, I have a few suggestion.

First, pull the filter cartridge from the housing. If it is the original black plastic one, toss it and replace with the triplex filter cartridge.

Next, verify that there is a priority valve on the outlet of the filter. If not there, install one.

Then, no matter what compressor oil they have started you with, do your first oil change at no later than five hours and every 25 hours or yearly (which ever comes first) after that using high grade compressor oil (to maintain your warranty you will have to use either the 455 or the 751 from Coltri or Nuvair).

Keep it clean and cool and it should give you years of service.

Thanks rcontrera for your sugestions, the filter will be checked, the valve though, well we'll see. The trick is to make sure that the pressure in the tank at the start is lower then in the firter. I used to do it like this for a long time, but would be good to have it. They recomend first oil change after five hours and 50 hrs after that and I will change it every 25, or before winter storage.

Huh?

The priority/constant backpressure valve is there to see that stack pressure is high enough - at least 1800 or so psi - so that the separator, and to a lesser extent, the media stack, will be working at high efficiency. Any function as a check valve is really pretty much secondary.

A priority valve really ought to be considered an essential, though in a pinch it is possible to do the same thing manually if you have a fairly sensitive valve on the whip.

We'll see. The trick is to make sure that the pressure in the tank at the start is lower then in the firter. I used to do it like this for a long time, but would be good to have it.

... The trick is to make sure that the pressure in the tank at the start is lower then in the firter. I used to do it like this for a long time, but would be good to have it. ...
You are thinking of a check valve. The priority valve is a different animal. Like Oxyhacker said, it is designed to bring the pressure up before letting it flow out the hose. This increases the density of the air which increases the efficiency of the filtration system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom