Recommendations for compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you are going to bre underway and haave a compressor problem i would prefer the rix. repairs are easy. no crank case to open just a little greasing and if you have to replace valves its an easy jpob also. oil free do ppo2 blending or low o2 pumping . gas or electric no biggy. a sa6 with a cascade tank can handle alla the fills you need to do. let the cascade do the first half of the fill for you and while they dive top off the cascade tank. i see the hp valve rfo the rix at 60.00 grease you can get anywhere eric ar rix will tell you what the generic stuff is. the only thing that might take some time is a piston seal/ring replacement. all common tools ussed. i use mine and service 6-8 divers when i go out.

Thanks everybody. I think in the absence of a good (perfect) Bower going second-hand on-island I'll go with the Rix. Easy to fix, though more fixing, and more gas-mix flexible out of the box. And a whole heap lighter for man-handling into a pickup.
Doesn't matter much at the moment though- global credit drama has everybody putting bigger reef-work off until Spring.
A

Hi guys, I'm on the market looking for a small compressor and recently found an add for Nardi Atlantic 100 4 stage unit, with a nice desing. Has anybody have any experience with this model. It is as far as I know made in Italy, but that may not mean anything.

Hi guys, I'm on the market looking for a small compressor and recently found an add for Nardi Atlantic 100 4 stage unit, with a nice desing. Has anybody have any experience with this model. It is as far as I know made in Italy, but that may not mean anything.

Its small, runs kinda hot, and is not suitable for more than a couple tanks at a time. Don't expect it to last 1000s of hours like the larger more expensive Bauers (Mariner, Capitano etc) and Coltri. On the plus side its inexpensive and light.

Thanks rjack for your input, have you used it your self in the past? I've been always trying to find bad things about the product first, before I buy, in this case I haven't found much. I'm plannig to use it only to fill my own tank and maybe my son's, while on location. At northshorecompressor.com/websitemanuals they have a detailed drawings of this little unit and it apears to be a nice design. The fourth stage is also on top, not like in Coltri where bottom cylinder couses all kinds of problems in time. I don't know, still looking at it, trying to make my mind.

Nankar, the third stage is hidden behind the forth stage and doesn't get much air flow through it which may need additional fan on top for cooling. Also it runs quite hot on the forth stage at 300 degrees so longevity is a question.

Thanks rjack for your input, have you used it your self in the past? I've been always trying to find bad things about the product first, before I buy, in this case I haven't found much. I'm plannig to use it only to fill my own tank and maybe my son's, while on location. At northshorecompressor.com/websitemanuals they have a detailed drawings of this little unit and it apears to be a nice design. The fourth stage is also on top, not like in Coltri where bottom cylinder couses all kinds of problems in time. I don't know, still looking at it, trying to make my mind.

Its being sold as a replacement for the Alkins W31. (Which would have been a good design except for the lack of outboard bearings on the shaft.) I know of a couple that have blown up already.

For your application its probably fine but:
keep it cool
put extra fans on it
minimize the continuous runtimes
minimize the higher 3K+ psi pumping
change the oil way more often than they tell you to in whatever manual comes with it (20-25hr interval is good, 100hrs not good)

recognize that its a budget compressor

Thanks Rjack & Khadux, I think you are right, that the temp may be an issue in this 2 cylinders together application. Well, having to have another fan on top of the brand new compressor does not make any sence to me. I'm a millwright of trade and compressors are in no way something new to me, but have limited experience with those of high pressure. There is another one I'm looking at right now, Max Air 35 that actually looks exactly like Coltri, may be thats the one I should concetrate on, the price is very similar, allthough that bottom cylinder gives me shivers.

Thanks Rjack & Khadux, I think you are right, that the temp may be an issue in this 2 cylinders together application. Well, having to have another fan on top of the brand new compressor does not make any sence to me. I'm a millwright of trade and compressors are in no way something new to me, but have limited experience with those of high pressure. There is another one I'm looking at right now, Max Air 35 that actually looks exactly like Coltri, may be thats the one I should concetrate on, the price is very similar, allthough that bottom cylinder gives me shivers.

I noticed Northshore Compressor had the Coltri MCH6 at a marked down price. It is the same compressor as the Max Air 35, just relabeled.

well, I'm not able to add a URL until the 6th post. :idk: I've added the URL in the #31 post

Back
Top Bottom