New Compressor Owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use this service:

LAWRENCE FACTOR® | Analysis

It’s like $120 for a single test. They send you a cylinder that you fill in a certain way and send back to them. I test for OCA and I’ve never been close to the limits.

I've also added continuous CO (and PO2) monitoring to my compressor. I use a ToxiRAE 3 for CO, which I can also now calibrate myself. I’m way more confident in my breathing gas than anyone else’s... And I’ve got proof! :)

Compressors are an even slipperier slope than dive gear! :) Enjoy the ride...

Compressors are an even slipperier slope than dive gear! :) Enjoy the ride...
HA! Yes, this seems to be a going theme in all my hobbies.

I use a ToxiRAE 3 for CO
I'm going to ignore the fact that it seems to be a fraction of the cost of the co clear unit but the fact that it's battery powered has my attention. I have 110v not only in my boat and in the bed of my truck but it would be nice not to be tethered to a power source...:daydream:

To answer some of your nitrox questions:
Can you fill nitrox?
Officially Bauer does not support this, you will void warranty (if you had any to start with). Having said that; there are plenty of people pumping EAN32 trough Bauers. There is a risk involved and wear and tear on the compressor goes up. If you choose to do so regardless, you are pumping gas with a higher oxygen percentage trough the compressor. This in turn makes the compressor run hotter. Higher O2 and higher temperature can become extremely dangerous. Read the oxygen hackers handbook for more details.

What is a nitrox stick? Partial pressure filling?
A nitrox stick mixes pure O2 with air so you create the nitrox at low pressure and then run it trough the compressor to pump it to the desired pressure (similar to how a membrane system works). This is different from partial filling. With partial filling, you fill a tank partially with pure O2 and the rest with air (same for helium if you are making trimix). This has its own set of advantages and dangers. Again, the oxygen hacker is a pretty good read. A gas blender course is interesting as well.

I've also added continuous CO (and PO2) monitoring to my compressor. I use a ToxiRAE 3 for CO, which I can also now calibrate myself. I’m way more confident in my breathing gas than anyone else’s... And I’ve got proof! :)
I just did a quick search on the ToxiRAE3, but how did you incorporate continuous monitoring?

For continuous, I put a tee on the discharge side of the filters, and put a valved DIN female on one end (fill whip on the other). Using an OxyCheq DIN flow limiter, I feed an adjustable flow meter and then my CO meter...

IMG_20200507_165920.jpg

Unplugged now for calibration. Feed goes through bulkhead to a tee with a reed valve, and feeds the flowmeter, then returns back to the top bulkhead fitting, where it is plumbed to my meter via normal tubing. I use tubing quick-connects (IV supplies) to be able to easily connect and disconnect for various needs.

YMMV

Checking that out now.

So, I can't seem to find a reasonable copy of Oxygen Hacker. Any secret stashes?

For continuous, I put a tee on the discharge side of the filters, and put a valved DIN female on one end (fill whip on the other). Using an OxyCheq DIN flow limiter, I feed an adjustable flow meter and then my CO meter...

I ordered parts to do a similar setup but I went with a battery powered Nuvair analyzer.

I'm also wondering a good place to order replacement parts and filters. I ordered some stuff off bannerfire and some stuff from breathingair.com. Breathingair is beyond slow and I'm not sure I want to have to keep ordering from them if it's going to be weeks just to ship an order of things that are "in stock."

Not sure why reducing the moisture would not increase filter life. My understanding is that the hopcalite is a catalyst and will continue to work as long as it is dry and uncontaminated, also being a catalyst does not itself undergo any change in converting CO to CO2.
Generally speaking you're correct.

But if you send completely dry air to a filter it can still load up with other contaminants eventually. Oil mist permeates the felt. The AC loads up with whatever volatile hydrocarbons are being passed along either from the oil or from the intake air. So best not to imagine filters as having an indefinite life if only for the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom