Rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've sort of gotten an interest in rebreathers. What would be the benefits for a recreational diver using a rebreather?

OK from perspective

As I am a photographer.....

Longer dive times within the recreational limits allowing you to take your time in terms of using your camera
The ability to get closer to fish life, again a plus for the photography aspect.
I hate surface intervals :D :wink: back to point number 1.

:lotsalove:

I've sort of gotten an interest in rebreathers. What would be the benefits for a recreational diver using a rebreather?

First of all, here is another forum that is dedicated to rebreathers:
Rebreather World

Rebreathers allow the user to increase bottom time and decrease decompression obligations. They allow the user to interact much more closely with the marine life.

Never be limited by gas supply again:11:

The difference for photography is enormous.

The initial cost of the rebreather and the cost of the consumables are a downside for recreational use.

A semi-closed unit (like the Draeger Dolphin) may be more suitable.

That's a good question. As another recreational diver whom is interested in Rebreathers, I can tell you that there are many benefits for the recreational diver, like the ones mentioned previously in this thread.

Personally, I am interested din advancing my photography, as well as some other opportunities with friends who also dive rebreathers.

I think you'll find that SB has quite a few knowledgeable rebreather divers on board that are more than happy to answer your questions on this topic.

It may take a little longer to hear from some of them... so be patient :)

I am not a photographer but I do enjoy quite a number of RB benfits when doing recreational profile dives. I can get close to creatures without frightening them with bubbles. I noticed that on my first ever RB dive where we saw an octo in the open during the day at a site I had never seen an octo in daylight before even after several hundred dives to that same site.
I like the fact I don't have to reheat the air I breathe so I feel much warmer on RB dives. I can stay in cold water 1.5 times longer when diving RB.
It does not take long to prepare a RB once you get used to it and I can predive, with complete checkist in about 20 minutes.
I have a lot more freedom to go deeper if I want and stay as long as I want (within reason) where gas supply is no longer the limiting factor.

I love my rebreather, and dive it as much as possible. That said, I don't think a RB is a recreational tool. There is too much to go wrong, you really need to be fanatic or "tech" minded. Yes there are huge benefits even within rec limits to using a RB, but it is a long way from "REC" dving.

There are a variety of advantages to diving a rebreather, of course depending on your goals.

Rebreather technolgy is radically different from open circuit technology. Open Circuit can be viewed as being largely mechanical, with bailout scenarios requiring immediate action with a small selection of options (another regulator). Rebreather technology, on the other hand, is rooted in electronics and chemistry. Bailout is somewhat more likely that OC in that rebrathers are not as reliable as OC, but with less immediacy and a greater number of options.

Some divers may simply enjoy the challenge of a using and learning a more sophisticated diving technology, regardles if they are experienced OC divers or not? For those who enjy learning new things and figuring out how things work, rebreathers can be an exciting and fun way to dive. If you are not too good with maintaining your OC gear, and are simply interested in getting in the water and diving, rebreathers are probably a poor choice in my opinion.

I love rebreathers and have owned a bunch of different models over the years, then again I still dive OC on occasions?

Cheers

JC

You've definitely been provided with some good advice here! Usually, you get the standard ":monkeydanRah :chicken: Rah:monkeydan" about rebreathers being the greatest thing in the world, which can be the case for the right person:D, but that's not the case with everyone:no, at this point.

If you're happy doing recreational dives within the limits recreational time and depth limits and don't have a desire for anything else, then rebreathers may not be for you, unless of course you happen to be serious about photography or some other activity that can benefit from a rebreather.

However, if you want to go deeper, stay down longer or just crave to dive more sophisticated equipment with less overall limitations and experience more of a challenge, and don't mind putting a bunch of extra time in your pre-dive prep, then rebreathers are the only way to go!:banana:

I've been diving for more than 20 years...I was a scuba instructor in college...I'm into underwater photography...I'm a mixed-gas tech diver since the mid-nineties...I've been diving my rebreather since the middle of last year...I spent !BUCKETS! of money on making the transition...the pre-dive time I spend prepping my equipment has increased five-fold since I made the trasnition from open-circuit to closed-circuit...I LOVE IT AND I'D DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN IN A HEART BEAT!:icon82:

Best of luck to you!

I am always amazed at how a RB is positioned: 'if you want this, but not that, a RB may not be for you'. 'If on the other hand you do want such and plan on so... a RB would be good for you'.

Bottom line is that everyone dives a RB for their own reasons, some because it is cool, others view it as a tool, others because they can, etc.

Whatever the reason, one thing should be clear: if you do it, do it correctly. Do not skimp on things and do not take short cuts. These things have a lot to offer and when used properly will give lots of fun and teach you a lot about diving in general. They are as safe or as dangerous as you let them be. A diligent diver will last a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom