Rebreathers in Chicago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tnt2020

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyony know of any LDS in the Chicago area that support rebreather training? I have called at least 10 with no luck on Closed Circuit. I was Hoping to start training on the Inspiration this summer. If you don't know of any In Chicago I would like all recomendations on a good place to travel for the training.

Tnt2020

tnt2020 once bubbled...
Does anyony know of any LDS in the Chicago area that support rebreather training? I have called at least 10 with no luck on Closed Circuit. I was Hoping to start training on the Inspiration this summer. If you don't know of any In Chicago I would like all recomendations on a good place to travel for the training.

Tnt2020

I'm not aware of any LDS's that support CCR in town.... Most support SCR, Draeger Dolphins.... (Underwater Safari's, Scuba Emporium)

Might wanna check out www.captaindales.com.... He offers technical dive training and I believe he's a rep for the Frog and offers rebreather training. Just don't know if he offers the Inspiration....

tnt2020 once bubbled...
...any LDS in the Chicago area that support rebreather training?...
...good place to travel for the training.
Can't help you with Chicago DSs. But check Silent Diving Systems' website for US based instructors. http://www.silentdiving.com/

Travel where? Here in Southern California are two dive stores that sell and service Inspirations, and provide ANDI training from Intro (no certification) to Level5 (extended range trimix).
One is SSA-Riverside at http://www.ssa-riverside.com/
The other SSA-Montclair, I don't have their link, but they're on the web, too.
Enjoy the Channel Islands and kelp forests while you're at it.

Sunset House on Grand Cayman offers IANTD Inspiration training (to Trimix) as does Protech in Belize.
http://sunsethouse.info/
http://www.iantd.com/protech-belize.html
http://www.protechbelize.com/main.htm
IANTD has instructor search machine on their website, either by name (Haley in GC, Liebermann in Belize), place or training:
http://www.iantd.com/search/instructors_search.html

Thanks board members who took the time to reply both on the board and in private. After talking to all of you and calling silent diving and a ton of local dive shops. I will be going to Minnesota to meet Ron Benson and try an Inspirtation only a 5 hour drive each way. I would like to know if there is any recomedations on things to try or look for while doing the demo? I would also like your input on training. I hope to due the course in June of 2004 with Ron if everything goes well tommorow. I am looking for any reading I should do before then and what minumum requirements you feel are required for Inspiration training. I would also like to if there are any Inspiration divers in Chicago or will I be the only one?

Tnt 2020

Be sure to give us a full report of the trip and how it goes.....

You're taking a CCR intro, Tnt, that's dynamite. :wink:
It'll be enough to hook you. :D

If possible have Ron prep the unit while you're there. That'll give you a good look at the inner workings, as well as what you'll have to do to dive it. And since he'll have his prep and pre-dive routine down you'll also get an idea how long it'll take once you do.

If you're in an indoor pool you'll probably be able to hear and understand him uw. The lack of noise is amazing. He'll pretty much tell you what to do and what not to. Try differnt positions uw, to see how (well) the rig breathes. Blow out some gas through the nose and watch the handsets while the solenoid adds gas. Add some manually, both dil and O2, see the handsets respond.

Hang around afterwards to see the post-dive if possible.
Ask any question that comes to mind. The only truly stupid one is the one never asked.

Most of all enjoy the experience. :D

By the way, Ron also teaches Megs, have a look at that one while you're there, have him point out the differences and explain the pro and cons. It'll give you a better understandig of both rigs. :)

Add-ited: As for you local diving, you want to check with the local dive operators if they'll let you use a CCR. If you're on boats, not everyone will. :(
Diving with an OC buddy isn't much of a worry in the beginning, you don't want to push past your experience anyway. Just make sure the have a basic understanding of your rig. Madmole has a nice .pdf file on his site that can help.
Join www.ccrinfo.com 's Inspiration & VR3 board, it has over 700 members. Hopefully you find someone in your location.

tnt2020 once bubbled...
Thanks board members who took the time to reply both on the board and in private. After talking to all of you and calling silent diving and a ton of local dive shops. I will be going to Minnesota to meet Ron Benson and try an Inspirtation only a 5 hour drive each way. I would like to know if there is any recomedations on things to try or look for while doing the demo? I would also like your input on training. I hope to due the course in June of 2004 with Ron if everything goes well tommorow. I am looking for any reading I should do before then and what minumum requirements you feel are required for Inspiration training. I would also like to if there are any Inspiration divers in Chicago or will I be the only one?

Tnt 2020
I think you will enjoy your training with Ron.. He is an experienced diver and presents himself in a very professional manner..

tnt2020 once bubbled...
... only a 5 hour drive each way ...

Hi again, TNT2020.
just saw at Grey Wolf's website that a store in Brighton, MI is hosting a CCR seminar/intro by Ron Scorese on the Prism. Have a look at http://www.greywolfinnovations.com/news.htm
I met Ron Scorese at DEMA, he's done some intresting wreck dives with that rig.
After seeing Ron Benson's two CCRs, that would intro you to the 3rd currently available rig. And it's just about 260 miles/4hrs.10min according to Mapquest.
Just something to think about. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

I will soon be a yellow back turtle. I really liked the inspirtation and purchased one on saturday (don't tell my wife). I everyone to know the drive was more like 5 1/2 hours each way. It was a long day but worth the experiance. I will train with Ron in June and hope to have a great summer diving the unit. I purchased a used unit from Ron. It only had 5 dives on it before it was stolen and the owner purchased a new unit to replace it. The unit was later recovered and now sold to me. Ron is going to add an ADV with shut off and new O2 cells for me. The unit comes with ther larger wing.

As you can see I really liked the dive. The unit I dove with was older and had quite a few dives on it. This is Ron's training unit and the only sound was a small flutter when I would exhale. I like the way the unit breathed. I was like a giant snorkel with out having to worry about getting a full breathe before a wave came along. It took a few minutes to work out the trim and then I was able to breathe in any position. I am looking forward to working with Ron and hope to see some of you next summer. Thanks again for all of your help. If there is any pre-reading you think might be helpful let me know I have started reading Jeff Bozniak book "All about Rebreathers." I can't find "A Simple Guide to Rebreathers" It seems to be out of print. I am leaving for Cozumel on Saturday for a week of diving and more diving. I hope everyone has a good week.

See ya

TNT

PS. If it is 380 miles away and the closest is it an LDS

Back
Top Bottom