Rebreather forum 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Videos added apparently regularly:

New videos up.
Just watched Mesley's discussion on safety (gag straps and checklists mostly). Gareth got a little preachy at him in the Q&A? Dr Lance also chimed in with some great comments.

I've got the ISC gag strap sitting here that I'm gonna put on my shrimp after testing a friend's Nerd 2. I think it's worthwhile, basically MY thinking is if your buddies know to just slam the BOV over if things go sideways and you won't take a reg, you have a much better chance of surviving.

Takeaways:
BOVs are a lifesaver.
Gag straps should be mandatory.
Do your checklists religiously, folks who self identified as not using a checklist are significantly more likely to have an incident than those who do gear checks.

Do your checklists religiously, folks who self identified as not using a checklist are significantly more likely to have an incident than those who do gear checks.
Is it the checklist that works? Or just that the type of people that do checklists are also the type less likely to have an incident?

In either case, become the type that uses checklists and you are covered.

Is it the checklist that works? Or just that the type of people that do checklists are also the type less likely to have an incident?

In either case, become the type that uses checklists and you are covered.
The checklist itself is what works, cause bad checklists dont work - at least in medicine.

The checklist itself is what works, cause bad checklists dont work - at least in medicine.
How a checklist is used seems to matter more than if it is used.

check list: Is gas on?

"is your gas on"
vs.
"show me your SPG while you take a breath" or " how do you know your gas is on"

Do you need that? What font should it be in?
doesn't mater, the issue isn't the words on the list or the font, or anything like that. It is what you do with it.

If the list says "gas on" and you do "is your gas on?" you get a different result from doing "show me your gas is on."

doesn't mater, the issue isn't the words on the list or the font, or anything like that. It is what you do with it.

If the list says "gas on" and you do "is your gas on?" you get a different result from doing "show me your gas is on."

The issue is you're parroting word for word what Gareth said, including being a jerk about it. Nobody likes a jerk. You're also ignoring, much like Gareth, that Mosley openly said it was a basis for a complete checklist, it wasn't the end all or complete. Move on, nobody was impressed.

The issue is you're parroting word for word what Gareth said, including being a jerk about it. Nobody likes a jerk. You're also ignoring, much like Gareth, that Mosley openly said it was a basis for a complete checklist, it wasn't the end all or complete. Move on, nobody was impressed.
I don't know who Gareth is, but I doubt I am parroting him. I believe that by Mosley you mean the presenter in the RF4 video. If so, I'm agreeing with Mesley, not Gareth. You seem to have my position on the subject exactly backward from what it is. I'm not sure what you think I'm being a jerk about, maybe it is a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

Do you think the list must be exhaustive? I don't
Do you think the font maters? I don't.
Do you think the words on the list have to be exactly and completely the procedure you use to verify the step? I don't.

The important things are:
  • You have a list of the important things you want to check
    • things that are not survivable
    • things that are likely forgotten and add significant risk
  • you actually do the list
  • When you do the list, you actually verify the thing on the list rather than just check your memory about it. Accountability to another person helps.
  • you can have multiple lists, examples:
    • a more exhaustive setup list
    • a short pre-jump list with just a few crucial items
Things like font and precise wording are relatively unimportant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom