Rebreather forum 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah you do. Stop it.
I just re-watched the video. Gareth must be the person in the Q&A section that was arguing with Mesley. I fast forwarded that part the first time, Gareth seemed to be misunderstanding Mosley so I didn't bother listening to the rest of the debate.

You can do whatever you want with your checklists, feel free to take part in the myriad of other checklist discussions.
Here's one you haven't gotten preachy on: Rebreather Checklists iOS App: Diver Tools
Are you even reading what I posted? Almost everything in your responses imply that you think I am saying the opposite of what I actually said.

My initial posts were short, and not in any way preachy. The longer ones were an attempt to clarify your apparent misconceptions about what I was trying to say.

As a newish (trained last fall-22 hours on unit), I still use a checklist. I was using a paper one that I developed from the KISS mfg checklist (which I didn’t like). I don’t like all the paper. So I took my paper list and made a document in my iPhone/iPad Notes app. I check off each item as I do it and then screen shot it to keep to see sensor millivolt numbers. This is working very well. I’ve been using the paperless format for about a month. It’s saved in iCloud so I can access it from both iPhone or iPad.

Military Diving

Vince Ferris covers all the toys the US Navy is using these days, also brings up the Navy is slowly moving completely away from OC due to cost of helium for anything deep.

JFD Divex Mk IV and Cobra, EX14, Mk29, Mk25, MODE, Shadow, Amphora 18, Mk16, Viper, MCM 100, JFD Divex CDLSE, EX-19 (lithium hydroxide scrubber) all metioned.

Alvin is a true ship of theseus.

Lots of other toys mentioned in brief, worth a watch.

Oskar Frånberg covered Swedish efforts.
Interesting commentary on when common thought is the Navy do "high risk" missions but given good risk management, it's not so risky.
Swedish SF have kick ass gear.
They use oxygen/nitrox switch SCRs. o2 above 5m, nitrox purge below 5m.

Brings up durability of eCCRs for SF/EOD. This is a major concern for both US and Swedish Navies. They beat the **** out of their units and need them to work no matter what. Swedish SF will leave their units in the water for a mission or bury it (yes bury) onshore and need to be able to grab it and take off again. Needs to be weather and abuse tolerant.

Sweden brought in civilian instructors for deep CCR training. (heliox/trimix) All these divers are already trained as "dive supervisors".
Checklists are done as a group, someone calls out the item, they all shout back that they have done it.

Alot more covered including research into cell predictability, also have their own deco model SWEN 21 that they started diving on in May. Based on data from USN and Swedish Navy.

Someone asked about gag straps and the (US) Navy, right now they use FFM and helmets for OC, no mention of CCR. Vince thinks it would be a good idea. Also DPD means diver propulsion device instead of vehicle. :p

As a newish (trained last fall-22 hours on unit), I still use a checklist.

It's effective. I still use paper but have been looking into apps (android) I can make a repeatable/savable checklists for. There's another post about an iOS app that is configurable in this sub-forum.

It's effective. I still use paper but have been looking into apps (android) I can make a repeatable/savable checklists for. There's another post about an iOS app that is configurable in this sub-forum.

There was an IOS app a friend recommended that is only configured for Kiss Sidewinder right now. Since I dive the Spirit, essentially same unit. I did not like that app since I’m used to doing things already with my checklist. I don’t need an app when I have my own checklist I can check off, screenshot, and erase what I’ve done to it for the next time. Also costs nothing since the Notes app comes as part of iOS.

Since you’re on Android, I would look at the stock apps you already have if there’s something comparable to iOS Notes app. Otherwise, I’m sure there’s tons in the Google Plat store that would work.

Since you’re on Android, I would look at the stock apps you already have if there’s something comparable to iOS Notes app. Otherwise, I’m sure there’s tons in the Google Plat store that would work.
That's the catch, there are a ton of apps out there, just so far none of them I like personally.
That's the real key here is "will it start feeling like a chore if I use this app?" or "do I happily open it up and bang through it like I do on paper?" :)

There was an IOS app a friend recommended that is only configured for Kiss Sidewinder right now. Since I dive the Spirit, essentially same unit. I did not like that app since I’m used to doing things already with my checklist. I don’t need an app when I have my own checklist I can check off, screenshot, and erase what I’ve done to it for the next time. Also costs nothing since the Notes app comes as part of iOS.

I also dive the Spirit (as well as other CCRs) and I realize its "old school", but I use a laminated cardstock checklist with a "dry erase" marker. It may not be elegant, but it works just fine and has lasted for years.

Any reason you don’t use wetnotes?

You want to tick every item you have done? Is that why you use paper?

@L13 i imagine he means Gareth Locke who is doing the human factors?

Back
Top Bottom