Real-life Equipment Failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An IP of 145 could have contributed to the free flow. Did you first try dialing it back, 130-135 psi should be plenty sufficient. I don't run that high on any of my regulators.

Yep. That was the first thing I tried and it still free flowed slightly. The new spring cured the problem completely. I keep all my regs, including my PRAM, at 145 PSI.

I've pulled my back dump valve off my Oxycheq wing. The plastic actually was fractured, I have no idea how that happened. It was towards the end of the dive and the wing was almost empty so it made no real difference. If it would have been earlier in the dive my drysuit and swimming back over the bottom (Tuanek shoredive) would have been options too. A full hp120 has more air weight than I can compensate for without wing or drysuit.

Not so much a mechanical failure but more a phyisics failure. Going out diving with my twin hose and i didn't have my usual tanks so i rented some. The tanks they gave me where massive and where dumpy meaning they stuck way out on my back. Trying to breathe from the twin hose was like trying to suck eggs through a straw. I found myself having to rock backwards to breathe in and rock forwards to breathe out! It really made me appreciate the pressure differential a few inches of water can make!

I have seen a couple of these Octo-inflators come in with freeflow issues. Twice in a week Ive seen malfunctions where the inlet fitting had back out of the valve housing, seperating the seat from the orifice and causing a leak/freeflow.

You remember oral inflation right? :eyebrow:

I'm pleased to report that to date, my worst equipment failure was when the alternator failed on the way to the dive boat and I missed the dive because the electric fuel pump stopped running. As I was driving along, I started thinking that the headlights did not seem as bright as before. Then everything got real quiet and I realized both the radio and engine had stopped. Fortunately, I had enough speed to get to the side of the freeway. I called AAA, not DAN.

Had an o ring pop once on my Reg. just after having it serviced. Wasn't a big deal........

I was diving in the Red Sea and it seemed like every time we opened the air valves an o ring blew. Fortunately I had a package of them with me but it was certainly disconcerting. I had never seen/heard on blow before and that week I experienced it at least 20 times (not on mine but among our group).

I was diving in the Red Sea and it seemed like every time we opened the air valves an o ring blew. Fortunately I had a package of them with me but it was certainly disconcerting. I had never seen/heard on blow before and that week I experienced it at least 20 times (not on mine but among our group).

Sounds like the shop was replacing them with the wrong part number.

Had a dry suit fill valve that would slow leak air into the dry suit. Took me half a dive to figure out why I couldn't get my bouyancy right.

Back
Top Bottom