Re-Stow lift bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Isn't this JJ? (from CaymanQuest 2006) Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me if it isn't him...

DSC_0221.jpg
LOL...his long hose is trapped by his drysuit hose. I love it when real life bumps into internet life.

JeffG:
LOL...his long hose is trapped by his drysuit hose. I love it when real life bumps into internet life.

Actually, it's not. Look again and you'll see that the long hose is over the metal end part of the drysuit hose.

Mike

Tanked Monkey:
Actually, it's not. Look again and you'll see that the long hose is over the metal end part of the drysuit hose.

Mike
Ahhh...your right. Zooming in, you can see it is the zipper that fooled my eyes.

SparticleBrane:
Stroke...:shakehead
These things happen.

Remind me not to get older. :wink:

My point in posting that picture of JJ is that sometimes, common sense and thinking has to take over the desire to "be DIR".
In my case if I pull a bag back down, I'll attempt to stow it in a thigh pocket. If I can't, I might get a buddy to help or I might just clip it to a D-ring--situation dependent. Whether or not it's the left waist D-ring really shouldn't matter unless I'm using stage and deco bottles, which I'm not. If I were I would probably put more emphasis on getting it in a pocket.

I really doubt the DIR police are going to write anyone a ticket for clipping off an SMB to your left waist D-ring if you pull it back down. As long as it isn't dragging through the muck or negatively affecting the team (or you), is it really a big deal where it's clipped off...?

On that note, if someone has an "official" GUE answer or a better idea, let me know. I'll be more than happy to eat crow. I'm always looking for a better way. :)

SparticleBrane:
Remind me not to get older. :wink:
It will happen eventually.

SparticleBrane:
My point in posting that picture of JJ is that sometimes, common sense and thinking has to take over the desire to "be DIR".
Ya think? LOL

SparticleBrane:
In my case if I pull a bag back down, I'll attempt to stow it in a thigh pocket. If I can't, I might get a buddy to help or I might just clip it to a D-ring--situation dependent. Whether or not it's the left waist D-ring really shouldn't matter unless I'm using stage and deco bottles, which I'm not. If I were I would probably put more emphasis on getting it in a pocket.

I really doubt the DIR police are going to write anyone a ticket for clipping off an SMB to your left waist D-ring if you pull it back down. As long as it isn't dragging through the muck or negatively affecting the team (or you), is it really a big deal where it's clipped off...?
The first thing is that people have to stop focusing on a "training" drill as if it is the real thing.

Pulling down and stowing an smb is least important part of that skill. In real life, it would be very rare for someone to do it in the first place.

The important part of the skill, is deploying the SMB.

As for where you clip it off when done...it depends. It just needs to be out of the way and as far as being on the left waist...big deal. Unless you have to transition deco tanks, the tanks don't need to moved so its not that big of a deal.

and TSandM...Argon bottles can be on the waist strap. :wink:

Yep, argon on the waist strap and smb pre-rigged with spool there as well during my fundies with Dean Marshall. In fact, one of the guys in my team was going to put in on his butt D-ring and Dean strongly advised against it because of the potential of it free spooling and not realizing it. This was because we did not glue our pockets on the wetsuits yet.

What was sort of funny was that one of our smb unrolled and was floating vertically deployed off the waist D-ring for like 20 minutes of diving before we noticed. We had such tunnel vision back kicking and drill training we didn't even notice. The video was too funny to be embarrassing.

-Michael

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom