re gopro hero3 black edition lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a beginner looking to cut my teeth on a budget rig, I'm someone who couldn't justify a big spend on lights for this cheap little camera. Light technology is moving so fast, in a couple of years when I'm ready to step up I imagine today's lights just won't compare. Anyway, I've found a $170 light that puts out as much (seemingly) as a SOLA 1200 (when I nd another videographer compared the two) and fills the gopro FOV just perfectly.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...en-120-degree-spill-video-light-new-post.html

this solution has its limitations for sure, but to my mind I didn't want to spend several times the cost of the camera to get lights that would be suitable for daytime use. Sorry for cross posting, but I didn't start the other thread in the gopro forum and have wondered if I picked the right spot.

Mantra,

Those have me intrigued. I am planning in adding even more lights to my growing collection of video lights. I need something that can be mounted to weights and placed in caves to light up areas, and to be carried by lead divers. I currently have the 2 Sola 1200's, a Light Monkey 35w HID video, and Light & Motion Sunray 1000's. I am looking in to adding some of the Big Blue video lights for divers to carry, and the ones you posted could work great if I buy 4 or 5 of them for placement lights.

Any further details you can post in either this or that thread would be appreciated.

Thanks
James

Mantra,

Those have me intrigued. I am planning in adding even more lights to my growing collection of video lights. I need something that can be mounted to weights and placed in caves to light up areas, and to be carried by lead divers. I currently have the 2 Sola 1200's, a Light Monkey 35w HID video, and Light & Motion Sunray 1000's. I am looking in to adding some of the Big Blue video lights for divers to carry, and the ones you posted could work great if I buy 4 or 5 of them for placement lights.

Any further details you can post in either this or that thread would be appreciated.

Thanks
James

Hi James!

is there anything specific I can test for you? I have some footage of it in a large above water cavern at the start of a dive (gato island, malapascua) and it gave fill lighting quite nicely, but once in that little cave (runs under the island) all you see is back scatter due to current and heavy particulate. I can cut some of that footage together quickly if you like. Otherwise please let me know what useful tests I can run.

Just the lighting in the cavern area would be great. Or if you can light up a wall from about 15 feet away, a picture is fine. I want to see the pattern the light throws.
Thanks!!!

I use the light and motion Sola 2000's. I use them with all my cameras, and have been very happy. They are expensive but work very well. I use contour, go pro, and a canon camera in a light and motion housing. I have used one of these lights on several dives, due to broken mounts, and it still works great. I have some videos made using the lights, but I'm not sure how to post them here. If you have any questions about light and motion let me know and I'll see if I can help.

I use the light and motion Sola 2000's. I use them with all my cameras, and have been very happy. They are expensive but work very well. I use contour, go pro, and a canon camera in a light and motion housing. I have used one of these lights on several dives, due to broken mounts, and it still works great. I have some videos made using the lights, but I'm not sure how to post them here. If you have any questions about light and motion let me know and I'll see if I can help.

hi and thanks
im looking at the 2000 f model a pair of them
do they come with a tray and arms and connections for the hero3 black?
not sure what i will need with them

Get the Sola Camera Action Kit ($99), Go Pro tripod mount ($11-sold separately) and the Sola Locline kit for the lights ($35x2). I see ourselves getting the 2000's later on this year.

Get the Sola Camera Action Kit ($99), Go Pro tripod mount ($11-sold separately) and the Sola Locline kit for the lights ($35x2). I see ourselves getting the 2000's later on this year.

Looking at $2200.00 now. Keeps getting better. They know the light is for diving, for that money should come with everything to connect to the camera. Thats what its for. Its getting frustrating to see how companies are gouging us for everything. Thats a trip to Cuba already. Hmmm I think I said that already LOL

Sent an email to see if I could get a discount for everything because im buying two lights. Light and motion sent me an email back with a link to send a ticket to another dept. Doesnt except my email address. Will see where it goes.
I know I will have them for a long time, but I had hoped to do other dives this year using the lights and camera. Looks like those trips maybe spend on lighting??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom