Thoughts on a single light for a GoPro setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought this one piece tray and arm combo from one of the multitude of sellers on Amazon. IIRC, it was advertised as being for the Go Pro, and it definitely came equipped with a ball mount for the light (which I removed to use the swivel I wanted). I wanted to go as compact as possible, but by keeping the ball, one could mount one of the ball mount on one of the torch style lights directly or add an arm extension to get the light farther away from the camera.
I try to keep my dive cameras as compact as possible, but if you want to space light away from the camera, that is not a problem. A point to remember though, is the big advantage of using a Go Pro is its compact simplicity, otherwise you can carry a “real” camera in a housing with long arms and big strobes… not my idea of fun in diving!
Froggie 🐸

Attachments

• IMG_2336.jpeg
    IMG_2336.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 16
I use SeaLife SeaDragon 3000. I can remove and redirect the 3000-lumen video light with my left hand while filming with my right hand to minimize back scattering.

IMG_6100.jpeg

Here’s my lastest underwater video with that video light.

Good to hear! Mind sharing a pic of your setup and/or the brand of your tray?
I got my tray from ULCS.com. I love it. It's very compact. For me, one light is enough to illuminate the occasional critter under a dark ledge. I want the whole rig to be small. I usually dive with my arms crossed, carrying the rig in my right hand, and this rig is small enough to allow that. If you prefer, it can be reconfigured like a stick with the tray and camera above the blue handle, but that made it top-heavy. I prefer the handle to the side of the camera for a better-balanced rig.

IMG_6249.JPG

IMG_6250.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom