Question New action-cam setup (GoPro 11) /w tray and light(s): need help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

romanoww

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum - looks like a great place to ask for some advice. I've been browsing to a few posts so far trying to figure out what setup I ought to get.

Some background:
I've been diving with a GoPro Hero5 for a while. Just recently been on some amazing trips and really enjoyed shooting videos! On one of these trips (link to video posted below), I have footage of both my own GoPro and that of the (awesome) diving agency that took us on the trip to Gordon's Rock. That's were I realized I need to upgrade my GoPro - the difference in quality, while both in 4K, their footage, shot with a GoPro 9, was crystal clear.

As you can see in the video I've been struggling with white colour correction or really anything to make my video look more colourful. Any tips for post-production are more then welcome.

Since I'll be diving in Tenerife (end of October) and Bali & The Philippines (January) soon, I really want to get a good (suitable for travel) actioncam rig. I'll be shooting video only, mainly focus on wide shots (love the pelagic) - but would love to have the possibility to shoot the smaller stuff as well (I still have to develop an eye for macro).

So I'm already set on getting the new GoPro11, but am now torn into a choice for an action-cam rig. What I think I'd prefer is this:

- Compact, easy to travel tray / arms / lights
- Start with a single light and upgrade later (to make the investment a bit more sane)?
- Easy to control / compact under water
- Battery should last at least 100 minutes before charging
- I was thinking of adding a macro-lens and/or red filter lens, but not sure whether that's necessary? I read some video lights add red light as well (the more upscale ones)

Some of the things I've been looking at are the following:

Single light setups - I'd need some advice on compact tray's to come with these:
Bigblue VTL4200P or Bigblue VL4600P (400 euro's + price for tray / loc-line)
Backscatter Macro Wide 4300 (530 euro's + price for tray / loc-line)
1 x Bigblue AL2600XWP Black Molley with Tray and Locline (400 euro's)

Double light setups:
Light & Motion Sola Video 2500 Action Kit (760 euro's)
2x Bigblue AL2600XWP Black Molly with Tray and Locline (720 euro's)

The bigblue lights look pretty good in terms of price, are they any good? I would not need a red filter in this case, since they have a red light option.
I live in the Netherlands, so getting equipment is a bit more expensive compared to the US.

This is the link to the video for those interested!

Thanks in advance,
Steven

Wait. The red light option on your video lights is not a replacement for a red filter or to bring red into the light spectrum. It is to allow you to set up and focus and frame your shot since the red is not visible to most marine life and won't disturb them. It's mainly for photos and strobes.

The bright white light from your video lights will bring the whole spectrum of light and you won't need red filters or white balancing. The red filters are for wide angle distance shots where the light isn't applicable since 3-4' is about the range limit for lights. If you want to video that shark 30 feet away you will either need a red filter or color correct in post-processing.

In clear water those lights aren't very bright. At best they will be fill lights in clear blue water, as such you are going to need a filter as your primary light source will be the sun. And while the GoPro's white balance is better than past iterations it needs a helpful kick in the right direction sometimes lights are enough to do that, but IME not always. Thankfully the new 10bit color will give you more room for editing particularly if you are outputting to 8bit color (at least I hope, I have an 11 ordered).

- I was thinking of adding a macro-lens and/or red filter lens, but not sure whether that's necessary? I read some video lights add red light as well (the more upscale ones)
ETA: Should have noted your posting date before replying. Oops. Maybe will help someone else.

I, too, just purchased a GoPro 11 to replace my GoPro Hero 6. I can only address your macro lens & red filter question. I use this setup from Backscatter and get decent macro with the red filter only used for wide angle w/o a light. It took a while to learn how to use the macro lens. It comes with a tool showing the focal length for the camera. For the Hero 6, it's about 4 inches. I've been using a video light and pulling stills from video: hoping to get satisfactory stills with the 11. A couple of shots from a recent trip to Roatan. In the Philippines I think you'll definitely want a macro lens. Not a photographer, but I'll forget what I see w/o taking a few videos!
Arrow Crab in sponge.jpg
Banded Coral Shrimp in sponge.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom