re gopro hero3 black edition lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for my short post, Ipads are a pain. I used the Sola Camera Action Tray, worked great but DOES NOT come with the GoPro tripod mount. Thankfully I had 2 days left before we flew when I found this out. Bugs me a bit but it could have been worse as where I ordered the lights and gopro from sent me an extra camera action kit by mistake! :)

With the filter only, above 40' doesn't need light, just a nice sunny day. I used both filter and lights for deeper dives. Still had a hot spot hence the "need" ahem...for the 2000's.

Light is the key with these, as everyone has said. I currently run twin Sola 1200's and a Light Monkey 35W HID. I just struck a deal on more lights, and plan on even adding more after that. All in all, a total of 9 video lights will be used for my shooting. Of course, my shooting is probably way different. I use these setups with all four of my camera rigs, GoPro, Intova, and JVC. Lighting makes everything look better, until you get too close and wash it out.

For OW diving I was happy with 1 L&M Sola 1200... For a little while. Then I wanted more. Then it was more and more and more. Now I am a light addict. I browse through the classifieds here and drool on my iPhone constantly. Good thing it is in a LifeProof case or I would be buying new phones all the time.

My point(s) being, as you use it more an more, you will want better results and that can come through better lighting. Look at the classified sections here, both videography and lights, you can find some great deals. Be open to making your GoPro setup big. These are great tiny little cameras, but a tray with battery canisters and lights can still be done pretty compact. Currently you can find a Greenforce video light 35w HID package for sale in the classifieds that peeks my interest. Also, heck I can't remember what also was supposed to be anymore. I got to dreaming about more lights. Damn.

Lighting and the GoPro is a little frustrating. The GoPro field of view is so wide you need really powerful lights if you want the whole frame evenly lit. Plus the wide field of view makes it difficult to shoot fish/animal life. The subject looks tiny unless it's something really big or you get really close. Not easy to get close without scaring the fish away and even more difficult with lights.

Ok, Im thinking one sola light for now, my dives are generally lake and river up to 120ft or caribbean up to 150ft.
all video, and maybe some pics. Gopro hero 3 black. Now for one sola light which one is better? 1200 or 2000.
Been reading so much my head hurts and still not sure which will give me the best video. I want to buy it once, later I will add the same light again so I have a pair. Is 2000 too much light? Everyone seems to like the 1200s.

Im the kinda guy who always seems to think bigger is better. Thank god not all women are like this LOL Id be single forever LOL
Kidding ladies!!! LOL I know your thinking though :pPP

As you say buy it once buy it right.

Buy the best twin lights/arms/tray, to what your budget allows. Single light, regardless of lumens, just isn't the best long term solution.

Sola 1200's go on sale for $579 each often. Amazing lights.

yupp, go for twin lights.

Twin Sola1200's are good but the 2000's (flood only ) are not that much more.... Our plan is to wait until this Dec to upgrade our Hero2 and twin 1200's. our son will get our current setup. And hopefully hero4 and Sola 2000's as a gift to each other. What bugged me was I got 2 Hero2's in Sept or Oct yet didn't need them until our Xmas trip. Sure was thrilled when the 3 came out! Arg.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How much to spend on a pair of lights for the GoPro ? Sola 1200's $1,400. Sola 2000's $1,600. Sola 4000, $3,200.

You can go crazy with lights. At some point I ask myself, the GoPro is a $400 camera. Maybe instead of spending $1,600 on a pair of lights for my $400 GoPro, I consider getting a more versatile camera for underwater. The GoPro does great for super wide angle shots. People, wrecks, reef scenery, caves. But I also like to shoot animal life. Lobsters, crabs, medium size fish. Kind of hard to get good footage with subjects this size with the wide angle GoPro. The fixed field of view is very limiting. Forget about shooting nudibranch, shrimp, arrowcrab, jawfish.

Just my thoughts. After shooting UW video for many years, I get easily bored shooting the same field of view over and over. I miss having the ability of shooting wide angle video of a stingray, then moving in for a medium angle shot, then a super closeup of the stingray's eye.

How much to spend on a pair of lights for the GoPro ? Sola 1200's $1,400. Sola 2000's $1,600. Sola 4000, $3,200.

You can go crazy with lights. At some point I ask myself, the GoPro is a $400 camera. Maybe instead of spending $1,600 on a pair of lights for my $400 GoPro, I consider getting a more versatile camera for underwater. The GoPro does great for super wide angle shots. People, wrecks, reef scenery, caves. But I also like to shoot animal life. Lobsters, crabs, medium size fish. Kind of hard to get good footage with subjects this size with the wide angle GoPro. The fixed field of view is very limiting. Forget about shooting nudibranch, shrimp, arrowcrab, jawfish.

Just my thoughts. After shooting UW video for many years, I get easily bored shooting the same field of view over and over. I miss having the ability of shooting wide angle video of a stingray, then moving in for a medium angle shot, then a super closeup of the stingray's eye.

The GoPro market is beginners to enthusiasts that do not really know the in depth techniques of shooting underwater video, is for people that like to take a memory of a dive as they saw it with their eyes. It not a tool to do your wide-medium-close-superclose composition, for that you need to spend at least $1200-1400
At $3,000 there are at least 2-3 compact cameras that will allow you to shoot as you had a proper video system but this is not the gopro market

I think spending $1,400 for a pair of sola is not the end of the world as you can keep them for your next rig where you will spend another $1,500 for camera and housing and few lenses

I think spending $1,400 for a pair of sola is not the end of the world as you can keep them for your next rig where you will spend another $1,500 for camera and housing and few lenses

I agree with this. If you bought a GoPro because you are on a limited budget, then no, $1400 for lights will not be for you. However if this is your entry in to the video world, the lights are simply a stepping stone to your full setup. Or if you are in a spot like me, where you need something very compact in some cases, the GoPro with a $1800 LM 35w HID fits the bill. It's all about your needs, where you want to go, and having the proper tool that day that dive.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom